U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlh123 View Post
I am 63 years old and have just retired and want to do some traveling with my wife. What country would you suggest we should go since this will be our first time. We are into foods and scenery and do tours when ever possible
Without knowing your interests, health, budget, etc...you are asking an impossible task of us.

However with the little you have given me I would say western Europe is your best bet. I would chose only one country - France, Germany, Italy, or Spain maybe (too many travelers like to hit all of Europe at once). All these countries have well developed tourism sights, are easy to navigate for beginner travelers, English is usually not an issue, and have great food. As these are kind of expensive, if you want a more budget experience Portugal or Greece might be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Cambodia
Thailand
Bhutan
Nepal

In that order
No. All great places but not for the first time traveler in there 60s, the distance itself disqualifies it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,348,238 times
Turkey. Mediterranean diet, lots of history, beautiful river and boat trips, ferry to Asia so you can hit two continents in the same day, inland scenery like something other-worldly, textiles, tiles, great coffee, Turkish Van cats, Turkish delight.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,637,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
I've been to Mexico and Canada a few times each, Antigua once (nice place), and to most of Western Europe. Keep in mind I am almost 50 and travel has been spaced out so things may be different now. In Europe I really liked England for so many reasons but I must say this:

The English are the least attractive people of European origin on the planet. The French are so elegant and classy, the Spanish so full of life and passionate just gorgeous dark features, the Dutch so straight forward and the Germans stand-offish. The English are open and warm, socialable and self depreciating but they are not attractive. I have been to England 6 times (wife has family there so we occasionally visit) and the views just reinforce themselves each time. So much culture and humor, but not blessed in the looks department.

I would like to visit Japan (so different). Else am very happy where I am.
That's very nice of you to say, I do assume you have some kind of proof of this quite frankly ridiculous claim?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That's very nice of you to say, I do assume you have some kind of proof of this quite frankly ridiculous claim?
He said his wife is of British stock Lucky gal!

Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM

363 posts, read 188,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
He said his wife is of British stock Lucky gal!
A huge percentage of Americans are of British stock. But in the US there has been a large scale mixing of peoples - a dash of British, sprinkle of Dutch etc. It allows for greater variation in genes. It is of course subjective but you can quickly find that it is not a unique POV.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:52 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,637,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
A huge percentage of Americans are of British stock. But in the US there has been a large scale mixing of peoples - a dash of British, sprinkle of Dutch etc. It allows for greater variation in genes. It is of course subjective but you can quickly find that it is not a unique POV.
To be honest with you there has been a large scale mixing of peoples in the UK for centuries, it started before the US existed in its modern format, Iberian, Celtic, Roman, Norman, Scandinavian, Germanic and more recently people from across the British Empire are all 'mixed' in the general population of Britain, to think that the British are some kind of pure bred Anglo Saxon (which are just one of the influxes of foreign settlers anyway) is not really accurate anyway.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 AM

518 posts, read 249,569 times
It’s not easy to give you advice without having any other information, what do you like? Mountains, Sea, Lake, hot, cold, bis cities.....the list may be infinite.
You give to us more information and we will try to give you some idea.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,468,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No. All great places but not for the first time traveler in there 60s, the distance itself disqualifies it.
But you're assuming he's American too . Could be an Aussie! Sydney to Bangkok isn't a bad flight, compared to Sidney to almost anywhere else.

(never mind that C-D is overwhelmingly American)

Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,532 times
Default Thanks for all the suggestions.

As stated I and my wife is 63 years old.We are in good shape for our age but still not young.We live in the U.S. (Florida) and have been to most attractions. We like scenery,tours,foods, and good walks. As for money we have been saving for somrtime. With all the suggestions we are looking to take a vacation in Canada.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:28 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,579,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Maybe he watched the Jeremy Kyle show ....We have had five Miss Worlds ye know hahaha...and Aiden Turner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or