Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times

Advertisements

UK, France, Italy
London, Paris and Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
UK.

Take the Britain Shrinker Tours out of London if they are still around.

http://www.britainshrinkers.com/category/out-of-london-tours-uk-britain-England

Second trip, go to Italy/Rome in the Spring or Autumn when it has cooled down and the tourists have left.

Third trip, go to Monte Carlo and take tours/trips along the coast. Bring a pile of money. Explore the history and what went on during the war.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlh123 View Post
I am 63 years old and have just retired and want to do some traveling with my wife. What country would you suggest we should go since this will be our first time.
First time what...out of the country? Where do you live?

Assuming the US I would probably go somewhere close since you're not used to long travel. Maybe somewhere in the Caribbean if you're in the South or Mexico if you're out West. Quebec if you're in the Midwest or Northeast as it is quite a different culture. Most of Canada would be similar to the US, but not QC.

Australia or UK are good for the similarities and language while offering decent contrast, but you'd be looking at at least 6 hrs flying...are you ok with that?

Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
New Zealand is at the top of my list.
It is a beautiful country, and I have been told the food is excellent.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Cambodia
Thailand
Bhutan
Nepal

In that order

Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlh123 View Post
I am 63 years old and have just retired and want to do some traveling with my wife. What country would you suggest we should go since this will be our first time. We are into foods and scenery and do tours when ever possible
In terms of food and scenery, US is as good as it gets like . May be no rainforests, but it has everything else. I would love an Amtrak tour which goes to all 3 corners of the country .

Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM

17,265 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I'd go with Donald's recommendations of these eight countries, adding Chad and Venezuela and North Korea to the original list of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, and Yemen!

Old 09-25-2017, 01:05 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If it fits your budget, I'd look into a Rick Steves tour- they're not all 'if it's Tuesday, then this must be Belgium' level of frantic like some tours are, and they've got a good reputation for showing you things that will help you to enjoy a future trip to Europe on your own down the road.

Viking River cruises also runs a zillion promotional offers every year and would give you a sampler of some different countries in Europe while only having to unpack once.
I'll second these recommendations. As novice travelers, you might be more comfortable with a bit of hand-holding at first. I've been on several Rick Steves tours, and they are excellent.

But the most important question, of course, is the one you left out of your first post. Which countries interest you the most? Those are the ones you should plan to visit (either on your own, or with a tour).

Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Just got back from France. Beautiful, and Paris has so much to see, especially the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay. Be sure to see the Normandy WWII D-Day beaches and cemetery. Also historic Mont St. Michel. Chartres Cathedral is amazing with its sculptured "screen" and stained glass windows. You don't have to speak French. Go on a tour the first time if you are uncomfortable in a foreign country.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

491 posts, read 324,244 times
I've been to Mexico and Canada a few times each, Antigua once (nice place), and to most of Western Europe. Keep in mind I am almost 50 and travel has been spaced out so things may be different now. In Europe I really liked England for so many reasons but I must say this:

The English are the least attractive people of European origin on the planet. The French are so elegant and classy, the Spanish so full of life and passionate just gorgeous dark features, the Dutch so straight forward and the Germans stand-offish. The English are open and warm, socialable and self depreciating but they are not attractive. I have been to England 6 times (wife has family there so we occasionally visit) and the views just reinforce themselves each time. So much culture and humor, but not blessed in the looks department.

I would like to visit Japan (so different). Else am very happy where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel