Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Vermont, but thinking of traveling in the late Spring. Any pointers (my husband and I really enjoy hiking)? Is it a good place to bring our bikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
I would definitely wait until summer if you like to hike. Spring is often chilly and muddy in northern New England hiking areas, with residual snow and ice on the ground. That’s usually true on Memorial Day and often later. Late June to mid-October is your best option.

Can’t speak to biking, but if you mountain bike it will be the same.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Sure, bring your bikes.

Spring might be rainy (but nice greens and calves and blooms...), I prefer Fall (but more traffic)

We have been biking Vermont since 1970's (all privately, never on a tour.)
Biking in Vermont: Trails, Bikeways, Maps, Mountain Trails and More.
https://bikenewengland.com/bicycle-rides-in-vermont/
https://www.vermontvacation.com/thin...reation/biking
https://www.backroads.com/trips/BVSI...nt-biking-tour

We like a state park near Windsor (East side) and another State park on West side ( on a mtn) near Middlebury. It is a very small state, so you can bike east to west, very EZ. (If you don't camp... there are bike routes Inn to Inn...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...E,lf:1,lf_ui:1

Another great biking destination for spring is DC during blossoms. there are 2000mi of bike trails in and near DC.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times
Thank you both for the advice! It was very helpful and appreciative. I am looking to go around Memorial Day, but may hold off due till June due to the snow/weather in the mountains.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
We thoroughly enjoyed the Montpelier/Barre area.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Thank you both for the advice! It was very helpful and appreciative. I am looking to go around Memorial Day, but may hold off due till June due to the snow/weather in the mountains.
A good way to gauge conditions on hiking trails in Vt. (and other states) is to go to the state specific sub-forums on a long-distance-hiking focused website like whiteblaze.net

These forums not only have locals contributing, but people passing through the given state on its long distance trail networks.

In my own experience in NY/NE, mud season varies between merely treacherous/unpleasant and off-limits/trail closures (due to risk of trail damage and erosion control) as late as April. It can still be muddy in a lot of spots and marshes, bogs and swamps will still be deep and wet, but by Memorial day there are people on the trails.

But a little research now and you can get a good idea of when conditions will likely be good where you want to visit.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
If late spring is May, that's good for hikes. It will be very green and beautiful. I love VT one of my favorite states. Great country back roads, quaint small towns, super laid back, entire state is hilly with views, peace and quiet. I'm sure there is great road biking, and I KNOW there is great mountain biking!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM

939 posts, read 505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
If late spring is May, that's good for hikes. It will be very green and beautiful. I love VT one of my favorite states. Great country back roads, quaint small towns, super laid back, entire state is hilly with views, peace and quiet. I'm sure there is great road biking, and I KNOW there is great mountain biking!
Yes, great mountain biking every where, particularly in the Northeast Kingdom region. I'd plan on late May. Chances are, weather will be great and you avoid a lot of the crowds by not waiting until schools let out in the northeast in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel