U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:39 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,475,834 times

Advertisements

Our flight home from Hawaii was grounded waiting for a part. They wouldn't tell us how long it would be so everyone camped out in the airport from 7 am. I still had a swimsuit on, hoping to tan a bit in the beautiful garden at the Honolulu airport. So when they said 3 pm for the next briefing my group of 4 took off for the beach. We called in at 3 pm and still no time scheduled to depart. They told us they would let us sleep at the airport on the floor and everyone did! Not me, I called our hotel and got two room and we stayed there overnight, did the beach routine again, arrived at the airport and didn't board till late midnight. Everyone that had stayed ther was exhausted and crabby. They had fed them peanuts and champagne, but no other food. Seems like everyone else just sat ther on the floor for more than 24 hours. I was hoping for another day but the plane was fixed and we came home to our snowy blizzard, yay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 12:56 AM

5,183 posts, read 2,083,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEssex_ View Post
And if so for how long

I don't think I have properly , the closest I would say is when I missed a train and had to wait 2 hours for another one
When I was in high school, I went to a concert that got done at 10PM. I was catching the last bus on that route at 10:15PM. The problem, when I got to the bus stop, there was probably 30 or 40 people waiting already. I thought, oh boy this bus is going to be crowded. That was an understatement. When the bus showed up it was already full. Only a few people could get on. The bus pulled out and I did the same thing everybody else did and started walking. My connecting bus that would take me home, was scheduled to leave the Downtown area at about 10:45. I knew I couldn't walk fast enough to make that bus, so I shot for the last bus at 11:15PM which was a short trip bus that would have taken me to about three miles of my home. Walking even jogging sometimes as fast as I could, I got to Downtown at about 11:30PM. I thought about sleeping on a bus bench until the next bus at 5AM, but I decided that might not be safe, so I decided to walk. In the end I walked about 15 miles and got home at about 4:30AM.

I learned my lesson not to rely on the last bus of the night. I never did that again.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 AM

4,934 posts, read 2,277,189 times
Oh my gosh ; I specialize in being stranded!

Sort of stranded myself in Bullhead City AZ when I went on a “rescue mission” with a friend & my guy friend named Munchie. Our mutual friend had met this guy at a motorcycle rally & in 3 days had moved to his “ranch“ (so not a ranch) from CO to AZ. And within a month had realized he was a lunatic ( so not a surprise) & called saying “Help!”

Got to Bullhead City after a harrowing road trip when I realized my friend has to be the scariest driver in the world. Decided there was no way I had cheated death just to get back on the road with her without seeing the ocean. My ocean ... I was born on an island. With Mediterranean DNA ... and I live landlocked in Colorado. (?) I was going to the ocean!

Gave the 2 girls $300 to get home with, told Munchie I was going to the ocean & he could do whatever. Took my suitcase with wheels & started bumping down the gravel road, heading west from dude’s “ranch”, everybody was yelling at me about “girls dissappear out here by themselves”. Realized 5 minutes later that Munchie was trudging along behind me.

Got back to Colorado about a month later. But in the process was stranded at a truck stop in Barstow overnight & the truckers brought me into the ring & kept me safe. Was stranded in another truck stop in Orange for 4 days.

Was stranded in east San Diego for a few hours then met some guy that took me to his mom’s house then drove me to my destination; stranded in OB, San Diego.

Lost Munchie about 10 times, for days at a time. During that time, I was stranded in Chula Vista overnight. In a parking lot of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, OB. On the pier ... until this nice Rastafarian guy with awesome dreads bought me a hotel room. Stranded in downtown but stayed with some Navy guys.

Did get my bracelet out of pawn that I had pawned the first time I was stranded in OB the year before ( long story). Stayed with a divorced couple who still lived together; he was 28, she was 48. They were best friends & she thought I’d be “perfect” for him. The day I left he told me he was in love with me.

The first Amtrak ticket I got I gave to Munchie. Then I went back about a week later.

I’ve been stranded about 10 times here in town over the last week because my car has some weird “parasitic battery drain” thing going on.

Over the years I’ve been stranded all over the place... on an Amtrak in Nebraska that drove into a massive snowdrift & was stuck for over two days. In Denver several times. Once in OKC, twice in OB & 2 years ago on Raton Pass at the Colorado/NM state line at midnight, during an epic T-storm, with 3 kids & a dog.

(Thank you Leo ... the guy from Mexico who lives in Roswell who didn’t speak much English but picked us up & drove us right to our front door.)

Yes, I’ve been stranded before ...

Old 10-13-2017, 02:09 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Yes! It's part of the fun of traveling! Embrace the unexpected!

Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
I was stranded in South Korea for a week. I was stationed at FT Lewis after my first tour in South Korea landed me a fiancé whom I wanted to go back to visit. I took 2 weeks leave and a military hop over there. Well wouldn't you know it. Northwest Orient went on strike and well all the military flights were booked solid when I needed to get back. Those of you who have spent some time in the army or military know what I had to do. Call back to ask to extend my leave. The first sergeant wasn't happy but recognized it. I had to buy a ticket from one of the other airlines but the soonest I could leave was 7 days after I was supposed to be home.

Oh and by the way. I enjoyed every second of my extra time there.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:34 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,756,105 times
In Skopje, Macedonia, for 3 days due to fog. I had a good time. Met some people in an outdoor restaurant. They were a mixed group of US and EU contractors and some Macedonian girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or