U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 AM

31,785 posts, read 20,055,678 times

Advertisements

I travel with injectibles which would be more than the allowed liquid amount, I carry my prescription with me. If you don't want to travel with such an amount, work with your doctor and pharmacist to get an appropriately marked bottle in a smaller amount.

On the other hand, I sometimes take my meds out of the bottles and throw them in a plastic baggy and no one has ever said anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 AM

14,008 posts, read 7,465,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

I would suggest contacting your doctor and requesting a one-time prescription for a smaller size bottle that is large enough for the duration of your trip. (but remember that insurance may not cover an amount in excess of what's already been filled)
Doesn't need to involve a doctor. Your pharmacy will print up some Rx labels for you if you explain the 100 ml TSA thing and they'll probably give you empty 100 ml bottles.

I assume this is cough syrup. Me? I'd just buy 100 ml plastic or glass containers, fill as many as I needed from my big bottle, and toss 'em in the clear quart zip lock bag. The TSA isn't going to care about cough syrup and the cop with the drug sniffing dog isn't going to arrest you and confiscate cough syrup with codeine in it. If you don't want to bother begging them from your pharmacist, you can buy 100 ml glass miniatures on Amazon Prime and have them in 2 days.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:31 AM

39,867 posts, read 3,024,958 times
https://www.facebook.com/AskTSA/

I used this on a recent trip, & kept their answer on my phone, in case of a problem. But it would seem easy to ask the pharmacist for a small bottle.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Or ask your pharmacy if they'd print the prescription label onto a smaller bottle; then you could transfer the amount you need for your trip to that smaller bottle and it would be in a container with all the relevant prescription info printed on it.

Best advice

Old 10-08-2017, 10:16 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,981,376 times
I was told by the specialty pharmacy that provides my liquid medication to keep it in the original bottles, have them on top in the luggage facing up so the labels are easily read by the TSA. Never head a problem. You can always check with the pharmacy, you can always email the TSA. You are not the first person to have this question, you will get answers.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,559,752 times
Update: used original bottle and pulled it out at security. They put it through their special machine and I was on my way. I do have tsa precheck which definitely sped it up but it was a breeze.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,981,376 times
Glad to hear it went well, as it should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or