U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 AM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good thing is that you have a lot of cheap, international, close options via budget European airlines to choose from. I did London, Oxford, and Oslo in a week in 2015 via Norwegian Airlines and the bus.
Sounds like you spent 24-36 hours in each city.

OP how long is your planned vacation? What time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 AM

1,827 posts, read 782,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Hi,

I would like to visit Paris and London but would like do a trio trip. Any suggestions on another location to add? Interested in art, food, history, theater and exploring on foot.
History, visit London, Paris and Normandy. You can take a train from Paris to the Normandy region. Take a tour of the D-day places and the cemeteries. I will tell you it is amazing. Going on your own you won't get the history, so do take a tour. For art visit Bayeux and the tapestry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry of my many times great grandmother. I unfortunately didn't spend enough time in the region to take this in.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM

1,318 posts, read 1,182,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
History, visit London, Paris and Normandy. You can take a train from Paris to the Normandy region. Take a tour of the D-day places and the cemeteries. I will tell you it is amazing. Going on your own you won't get the history, so do take a tour. For art visit Bayeux and the tapestry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry of my many times great grandmother. I unfortunately didn't spend enough time in the region to take this in.
Great idea! I would add that taking the Eurostar from London to Paris is a very viable option as well.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 AM

9,182 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Hi,

I would like to visit Paris and London but would like do a trio trip. Any suggestions on another location to add? Interested in art, food, history, theater and exploring on foot.
My first choice with Paris and London would be Amsterdam. It meets most of your criteria well.

I might also consider Rome, Munich, Barcelona, or Nice.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 AM

11,665 posts, read 6,271,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sounds like you spent 24-36 hours in each city.

OP how long is your planned vacation? What time of year?
Total trip time spent on land was about 7 days. I spent 3 nights in London, 2 nights in Oxford (I was visiting a Rhodes Scholar buddy of mine), and toured Oslo for about half a day. I went in January of 2015.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 AM

1,827 posts, read 782,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Great idea! I would add that taking the Eurostar from London to Paris is a very viable option as well.
Yep, that is how we traveled. Flew into London took the Eurostar to Paris then a train to Normandy. Unfortunately we only allowed a day in Normandy and took the train back to Paris. Would have loved to spend more time there as now that I know my genealogy history there is connection to the region.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:35 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,425,236 times
Is your heart set on a big city? I agree with the suggestion to explore another part of France, either by train or car. You could easily take the train to say, Avignon and explore Provence, then fly home out of Marseille, or go up the coast and fly out of Nice.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:32 PM

483 posts, read 303,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Is your heart set on a big city? I agree with the suggestion to explore another part of France, either by train or car. You could easily take the train to say, Avignon and explore Provence, then fly home out of Marseille, or go up the coast and fly out of Nice.
To be honest, I prefer a smaller, more intimate city. I'd still like to see London and Paris but that doesn't mean I am set on just sticking to the big city!

Old 10-08-2017, 01:33 PM

[quote=NorthofHere;49758781]History, visit London, Paris and Normandy. You can take a train from Paris to the Normandy region. Take a tour of the D-day places and the cemeteries. I will tell you it is amazing. Going on your own you won't get the history, so do take a tour. For art visit Bayeux and the tapestry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry of my many times great grandmother. I unfortunately didn't spend enough time in the region to take this in.[/QUOTE

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2017, 01:34 PM

[quote=bigbear99;49758072]Why restrict yourself to major cities? Get a rental car and visit the Loire valley or Normandy, for example. Or, take the TGV to Strasbourg, a beautiful mid-sized city.

Personally, I find major cities have a certain sameness everywhere. Guess there's only so many ways to build a city. The differences lie in the countryside and smaller cities. Yes, there are exceptions, but they're rapidly disappearing. Take Beijing. On my first visit in 2006, the hutongs were fascinating. Visiting twice in the past few years, They were almost completely gone, replaced by high-rises just like you'd find anywhere else. (yes, the Forbidden City and my favorite, Garden of Heaven, are still there.)[/QUOTE

I'm not restricted to big cities but I'm also not going to rent a car. I'm open to smaller cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or