U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 01:35 PM

483 posts, read 304,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My first choice with Paris and London would be Amsterdam. It meets most of your criteria well.

I might also consider Rome, Munich, Barcelona, or Nice.
I'd like to go to Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM

483 posts, read 304,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sounds like you spent 24-36 hours in each city.

OP how long is your planned vacation? What time of year?

I'm not quite sure yet. Very beginning stages of deciding on where to go. Ideally 3 weeks but if not, I won't add a third location unless it's within France or England.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM

39,560 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Nice & the South of France would be good. Personally I would not go to Roma, unless I could spend a week there, there is a lot to see & do. Don't over book the itinerary.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
I would probably add in Amsterdam. Less travel time!

The old standard first trip to Europe was always LPR(London, Paris, and Rome).

Old 10-08-2017, 02:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,541,985 times
Interesting how folks focus on the big cities. Force of habit, perhaps? Take the UK as an example. Why London when you have beautiful places like the Dorset and Devon coasts, the Lake district, Oxford and Cotswolds? (and the public transport is great among these areas, too, although not as much used by tourists). Holland? See Amsterdam for a few days, then see Kinderdijk , which is like nothing else in the world. France, Paris for a few days, then start seeing the rest of France. Pick a direction. There are great sites, and history, in every direction. Don't want to drive? Book a motorcoach tour. But get out of the Capitals if you really want to see a country.

US is no different. No one would say they "saw the US" by just visiting NYC or DC.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:30 PM

255 posts, read 476,656 times
Prague. Hands down. You will see untouched architecture since the 7-800s. Unlike a-n-y other European city.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:34 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,487,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
Prague. Hands down. You will see untouched architecture since the 7-800s. Unlike a-n-y other European city.
I agree. Also consider Krakow if you want something different.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:56 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,159,916 times
Good idea to stay in the UK and France; you will see the rest of Europe in your lifetime. I would go for Nice and the south of France if you're into warm weather, scenery, and luxury; or Edinburgh if you're into cool weather and history.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:22 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Why restrict yourself to major cities? Get a rental car and visit the Loire valley or Normandy, for example. Or, take the TGV to Strasbourg, a beautiful mid-sized city.

Personally, I find major cities have a certain sameness everywhere. Guess there's only so many ways to build a city. The differences lie in the countryside and smaller cities. Yes, there are exceptions, but they're rapidly disappearing. Take Beijing. On my first visit in 2006, the hutongs were fascinating. Visiting twice in the past few years, They were almost completely gone, replaced by high-rises just like you'd find anywhere else. (yes, the Forbidden City and my favorite, Garden of Heaven, are still there.)
Whoever chooses to visit London and Paris in one trip is very unlikely to know about Loire Valley, or Normandy/Mont St Michel, or Strasbourg. They love large famous cities, and mostly likely will add Amsterdam if not Rome or Venice into the list. Reims is only an hour away and is well worth seeing. Even Lyon/Bordeaux are one 2 hours from Paris by the TGV.

I myself will visit Strasbourg, Colmar and other parts of Alsace in a few days. The weather is supposed to be sunny and warm

Agree with you about Beijing. The government did a horrible job in preserving old architecture. Now it is too late.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Good idea to stay in the UK and France; you will see the rest of Europe in your lifetime. I would go for Nice and the south of France if you're into warm weather, scenery, and luxury; or Edinburgh if you're into cool weather and history.
France is a lot more than Paris and Cote d'azur. Nice is pretty far from Paris and is not connected by the high speed trains. South of France deserves a separate one-week trip alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or