U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,538,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I myself will visit Strasbourg, Colmar and other parts of Alsace in a few days. The weather is supposed to be sunny and warm
Excellent choices! Beautiful surrounding countryside too.

Agree with you that folks seem to fall into various categories, including the major city lovers and the countryside lovers. Nothing wrong with either approach - I certainly can understand the preferences of big city types. After all, that's where the high culture is. But the rest of the country is where you see how people work and live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Excellent choices! Beautiful surrounding countryside too.

Agree with you that folks seem to fall into various categories, including the major city lovers and the countryside lovers. Nothing wrong with either approach - I certainly can understand the preferences of big city types. After all, that's where the high culture is. But the rest of the country is where you see how people work and live.
but even when you only want to see the "high culture", both France and the UK have more than just Paris and London. Edinburgh is delighted and immensely impressive. Lyon and Strasbourg have different cultures and vibes too. There is no rush to go to a high profile city in a different country (the Netherlands or Italy). I don't think Lyon/Edinburgh is any less interesting than Amsterdam. It is the urge to "see a different country" that is in play here.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM

483 posts, read 303,845 times
Quote:
but even when you only want to see the "high culture", both France and the UK have more than just Paris and London. Edinburgh is delighted and immensely impressive. Lyon and Strasbourg have different cultures and vibes too. There is no rush to go to a high profile city in a different country (the Netherlands or Italy). I don't think Lyon/Edinburgh is any less interesting than Amsterdam. It is the urge to "see a different country" that is in play here.
I'm very interested in Edinburgh, have been for awhile. Looks absolutely stunning and I want to go! As far as big cities, I'm very open to the idea of visiting or even staying in smaller cities. I have been checking and Normandy looks beautiful. Definitely open to non Paris/London spots in France and England!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
History, visit London, Paris and Normandy. You can take a train from Paris to the Normandy region. Take a tour of the D-day places and the cemeteries. I will tell you it is amazing. Going on your own you won't get the history, so do take a tour. For art visit Bayeux and the tapestry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry of my many times great grandmother. I unfortunately didn't spend enough time in the region to take this in.
Normandy looks great!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Nice & the South of France would be good. Personally I would not go to Roma, unless I could spend a week there, there is a lot to see & do. Don't over book the itinerary.
I went to Rome in March! That spot is out! Thanks

Old 10-09-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Interesting how folks focus on the big cities. Force of habit, perhaps? Take the UK as an example. Why London when you have beautiful places like the Dorset and Devon coasts, the Lake district, Oxford and Cotswolds? (and the public transport is great among these areas, too, although not as much used by tourists). Holland? See Amsterdam for a few days, then see Kinderdijk , which is like nothing else in the world. France, Paris for a few days, then start seeing the rest of France. Pick a direction. There are great sites, and history, in every direction. Don't want to drive? Book a motorcoach tour. But get out of the Capitals if you really want to see a country.

US is no different. No one would say they "saw the US" by just visiting NYC or DC.
I never heard of any of these places but I did mention earlier that I'm open to other options in both France and England.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
I'm very interested in Edinburgh, have been for awhile. Looks absolutely stunning and I want to go! As far as big cities, I'm very open to the idea of visiting or even staying in smaller cities. I have been checking and Normandy looks beautiful. Definitely open to non Paris/London spots in France and England!
Edinburgh won't disappoint you. I think it is far more impressive than Amsterdam. I went in Dec. in chilly and icy weather and still thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately the UK railway sucks and it takes 5 hours to go from London.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Edinburgh won't disappoint you. I think it is far more impressive than Amsterdam. I went in Dec. in chilly and icy weather and still thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately the UK railway sucks and it takes 5 hours to go from London.
That's awesome! The 5 hours is a bit long but I'd be willing to do it. I saw that you mentioned Colmor (may have spelled it wrong) that also looks interesting. Looks like a cute, quaint area! I may check there as well in France.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
That's awesome! The 5 hours is a bit long but I'd be willing to do it. I saw that you mentioned Colmor (may have spelled it wrong) that also looks interesting. Looks like a cute, quaint area! I may check there as well in France.
it is Colmar. Only 30 minutes from Strasbourg. Supposed to be one of the prettiest towns in Europe. I will be there in 5 days!

From paris, another easy trip is Reims. Check it out. Lots of history and beautiful architecture.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:08 AM

6,559 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Dublin if you can stretch yourself out of UK and France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or