Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post

Nice is very beautiful too but I would devote a much longer time.
Yes, unless you plan to stay for a week, don't go to Nice. The region simply has too many beautiful places to see. It will be a shame to go there and just see Nice, Monaco and Cannes, like most tourists do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, unless you plan to stay for a week, don't go to Nice. The region simply has too many beautiful places to see. It will be a shame to go there and just see Nice, Monaco and Cannes, like most tourists do.
Provence is so nice that you shouldn't see it at all?

I've only been there for a business trip that I extended through the weekend for sightseeing but I'm glad I did.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
I choose Amsterdam too.

Visit the Van Gogh Museum, then go to market to taste their pickled herring, and visit the Red Light District in the evening.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I choose Amsterdam too.

Visit the Van Gogh Museum, then go to market to taste their pickled herring, and visit the Red Light District in the evening.

Avoid the red light district, it is low class. Who wants to see almost naked women in windows, that's for horny teems.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
After digging around, I think Strasbourg and Colmar are on the list! Both seem very cute and quaint!
I just returned from Strasbourg and Colmar and I highly recommend it. Strasbourg is only less than 2 hours from Paris by the TGV and it is a rather interesting city with so much history (you know, between France and Germany many times). It is a region very different from the rest of France. La petite France is very cute, yet it looks more like la petite Allemagne to be more precise. Take advantage of the famous Alsatian wines in the region.

I also explored Nancy and Metz from Strasbourg, two important cities in Lorraine. They are pretty close and can make easy day trips. Nancy itself is splendid yet hardly on most tourists' radar, unfortunately. Stanislas Square is beautiful. I actually visited both cities in the same day ( a very full day starting at 8am) as both are very compact and walkable (from the train station it is 15-20 minutes walk to the most outlaying attractions), and very close to each other (35 minutes by train), but if you only have the energy for one, I recommend Nancy, which has more to see. Even the Pepiniere park is very enjoyable.

Colmar is very close to Strasbourg, a truly cute and quaint town with a lot to see. It is the hometown of Bartholdi, the creator of the statue of Liberty. It is one of the most memorable small cities in France I have seen (and I saw a lot, along with Annecy, St Paul de Vance, Aix-en Provence etc). You can spend a full day there to appreciate the beautiful architecture and take a boat trip. If time allows, go to see some Alsatian illages such as Riquewihr (30 minutes by car or by bus).

Everyone goes to see Amsterdam, because it is famous and in a different country, but Alsace is underappreciated. I really enjoyed my Alsace trip more than Amsterdam.

Besides Alsace, you may also visit Renne, St Malo and the world famous Mount Saint Michel in Brittany (MSM strictly speaking is in Normandy). Renne is only 1h25 from Paris. Try not to be one of those who come to France and only see Paris and nothing else.

Last edited by botticelli; 10-17-2017 at 01:50 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Default I agree

Quote:

He should rather visit :
*Biot(pottery)
* Cagnes (the town of Van Gogh)
* Grasse (perfume industry)
* hidden gems : Auribeau, Cabris, Saint Cezaire (caves), Tourette, Saint Vallier
*"valley of marvels" in the Mercantour NP
* Breil s/ Roya
* Menton and its lemon carnaval

Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
He should rather visit :
* Biot (pottery)
* Cagnes (the town of Van Gogh)
* Grasse (perfume industry)
* hidden gems : Auribeau, Cabris, Saint Cezaire (caves), Tourette, Saint Vallier
*"valley of marvels" in the Mercantour NP
* Breil s/ Roya
* Menton and its lemon carnaval

Menton is so lovely and was such a surprise for me! Antibes was beautiful as well. I stayed at Villefranch-sur-mer, and the view everyday was absolutely stunning.

I don't know why so many people go to Cannes. It is not particularly an attractive place at all. But I suppose people want to go to well-known places (like Brussels ).

Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 PM

483 posts, read 409,404 times
Hmm, so many choices. Maybe I won't do any other countries. I may just shoot for just exploring France as much as I can for 2-3 weeks. I do still want to visit Paris but Lyon also seems up my speed then try a couple small towns such as Strasbourg and Colmar!!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM

483 posts, read 409,404 times
Quote:
I just returned from Strasbourg and Colmar and I highly recommend it. Strasbourg is only less than 2 hours from Paris by the TGV and it is a rather interesting city with so much history (you know, between France and Germany many times). It is a region very different from the rest of France. La petite France is very cute, yet it looks more like la petite Allemagne to be more precise. Take advantage of the famous Alsatian wines in the region.

I also explored Nancy and Metz from Strasbourg, two important cities in Lorraine. They are pretty close and can make easy day trips. Nancy itself is splendid yet hardly on most tourists' radar, unfortunately. Stanislas Square is beautiful. I actually visited both cities in the same day ( a very full day starting at 8am) as both are very compact and walkable (from the train station it is 15-20 minutes walk to the most outlaying attractions), and very close to each other (35 minutes by train), but if you only have the energy for one, I recommend Nancy, which has more to see. Even the Pepiniere park is very enjoyable.

Colmar is very close to Strasbourg, a truly cute and quaint town with a lot to see. It is the hometown of Bartholdi, the creator of the statue of Liberty. It is one of the most memorable small cities in France I have seen (and I saw a lot, along with Annecy, St Paul de Vance, Aix-en Provence etc). You can spend a full day there to appreciate the beautiful architecture and take a boat trip. If time allows, go to see some Alsatian illages such as Riquewihr (30 minutes by car or by bus).

Everyone goes to see Amsterdam, because it is famous and in a different country, but Alsace is underappreciated. I really enjoyed my Alsace trip more than Amsterdam.

Besides Alsace, you may also visit Renne, St Malo and the world famous Mount Saint Michel in Brittany (MSM strictly speaking is in Normandy). Renne is only 1h25 from Paris. Try not to be one of those who come to France and only see Paris and nothing else.
Thanks, sounds great!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Hmm, so many choices. Maybe I won't do any other countries. I may just shoot for just exploring France as much as I can for 2-3 weeks. I do still want to visit Paris but Lyon also seems up my speed then try a couple small towns such as Strasbourg and Colmar!!
I live in the Lyon region and the city is also beautiful, but if you come from Paris, it might be a bit underwhelming because unlike Alsace, Lyon is just a smaller version of Paris with fewer things to see (pleasant nevertheless). Not many exciting monuments and stuff. Many people come to see Lyon as a day trip from Paris, which is completely doable but I am not sure if it is worth it. But if you plan to spend a few days here, I recommend go east and visit the charming town of Annecy, and then unique ski town of Chamonix, where you can take the cable car to 4000meters and see the massive snow mountains so close to your eyes, including the famous Mount Blanc. Chamonix is about 2.5 hours drive from Lyon and you would probably need a rental car.

If you have two weeks or more, I am sure you can do all the above (even if you spend 3 days in London). I always thought a trip with a mixture of grand large cities, quaint small towns and the pure nature is the best option. After a few days you will be sick of those palaces and cathedrals, no matter how exquisite they are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel