U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,611 posts, read 39,986,663 times

Advertisements

BTW, Japan and Taiwan are both superb for hiking (and quite safe). Very interesting small towns and regions. Japan has lots of special places. One of my suppliers (Tooling) was in a rural region of ancestral carving and metal working (Natural progression of the trades). It was great to participate in local events and go to small villages to connect with people who seldom travel. Very rich culture, great for biking / trekking / hospitality. NO CROWDS!!! Wow, just very fun and educational. Very early morning hikes were spectacular. (steam rising from the rice paddies, cattle being driven down the carriageways to daily pastures, people heading to the temple...)

When I was on personal travel, I stayed with locals, when on the company budget, I was the only guest in a very modern 16 level hotel. They changed the carpet in the 'lift' everyday with the name of the day of the week (in English!). (handy since no one spoke any language I knew) The dining table was the largest piece of granite I have seen.... all by myself at a 'King Arthur table' at least 10m long...(Thus I preferred the weekends, staying with locals. )

You will have a great time, be flexible try to get some info from your friends who are residents. If not... you can find plenty of treasures on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM

5,252 posts, read 5,176,874 times
Thanks all. Lots to consider.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 PM

111 posts, read 73,737 times
If you are flying from the Eastern US, you could stop in Vancouver, Canada either on your way over or back without significantly adding to the amount of time you spend on planes.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Great Idea! He can burn up one entire day on a plane traveling from Japan to Thailand.
yes, the truth is even a 2 hour flight will likely burn up one entire day considering the time getting to the airport (1 hour+), the waiting (1.5 hour), customs (1 hour), transport to the destination city (1 hour +), finding the new hotel and check in etc (easily an hour), which is why it is not worth it to fly one more time just to "see" a new country for 30 hours, which includes sleeping time.

And don't forget Narita airport is very far from central Tokyo. I remember it takes at least an hour by train, and that train ticket itself is very expensive too.

Asia is not western Europe with a dozen small manageable countries well connected by trains. Japan is not suitable to be combined with another country. Japan is the size of Germany, but Germany has 8 or 9 neighbouring countries all connected by trains, Japan has none.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Can't rep you again, Botticelli.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM

76 posts, read 62,314 times
Japan deserves 2 weeks! Spring and Fall are beautiful times to visit. If you really want a side trip why not Okinawa?

Old 10-17-2017, 08:12 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standingroom0nly View Post
Japan deserves 2 weeks! Spring and Fall are beautiful times to visit. If you really want a side trip why not Okinawa?
Okinawa IS in Japan.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Korea is close by but it is one of the most boring countries to travel to (along with Singapore in the East Asian context), so don't waste your four days there.
We all have our opinions. Mine is that South Korea is a lot of fun and very interesting. If you (the OP) want to add a second country to your list with only a minimal amount of extra traveling, it fits the bill perfectly. I would just stay in Seoul and not worry about the rest of the country. You'll find enough to do there to occupy your time.

Though, to be honest, if I had just two weeks available, I'd stay the entire time in Japan. I've never been there, but I'm sure there's more than enough to see and do to fill the time.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM

76 posts, read 62,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Okinawa IS in Japan.
Hence...why I said Japan deserves 2 weeks. If they are looking for a "side trip" (i.e. requiring a plane ticket) Okinawa is close, but unique from mainland Japan (great place to enjoy snorkeling!). It is a worthwhile side trip, without having to fly for multiple hours / change currency / etc just for a few nights.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Thailand is a bad idea. Japan and Thailand are very far away from each other.

The ideal itinerary would be to spend 2 weeks in Japan. Japan has a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or