U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times

Advertisements

I vote for spending the extra time in Japan. Tokyo and Kyoto, take the bullet train south. Maybe fly to Okinawa for a few days. Japan has many great small hotels and you could probably leave most of your luggage there and get a round trip to Okinawa or one of the other outlying islands.

Japan also has an excellent ferry system, slower, but can offer some good views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 05:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know quite a few Korean people and I agree that they don't think too highly of the Japanese.
You might as well type "I know quite a few <insert Asian country here> people and I agree they don't think too highly of the Japanese."

They are good tourists but man do people in Asia have a lot of resentment towards Japan.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You might as well type "I know quite a few <insert Asian country here> people and I agree they don't think too highly of the Japanese."

They are good tourists but man do people in Asia have a lot of resentment towards Japan.
Only Koreans and Chinese. Other Asians tend to think highly of Japan, apart from the really old ones that had lived through the wars.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 PM

360 posts, read 248,220 times
Thailand for the beaches

Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,517,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yes, the truth is even a 2 hour flight will likely burn up one entire day considering the time getting to the airport (1 hour+), the waiting (1.5 hour), customs (1 hour), transport to the destination city (1 hour +), finding the new hotel and check in etc (easily an hour), which is why it is not worth it to fly one more time just to "see" a new country for 30 hours, which includes sleeping time.

And don't forget Narita airport is very far from central Tokyo. I remember it takes at least an hour by train, and that train ticket itself is very expensive too.

Asia is not western Europe with a dozen small manageable countries well connected by trains. Japan is not suitable to be combined with another country. Japan is the size of Germany, but Germany has 8 or 9 neighbouring countries all connected by trains, Japan has none.
Nowadays Haneda Airport also handles International Flights to 17 countries including USA, Canada. It is much closer and connected with Tokyo transportation system. If somebody is travelling to Tokyo, I would advise him/her to fly into Haneda and use Narita only if you are changing international flights.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Keisei Skyliner takes 40 minutes and only costs about $20, it'll get you to Uneo in Tokyo where you can connect to Tokyo Metro's Hibiya and Ginza lines.

It can be a pain with suitcases during rush hour, but overall the cost and time to city isn't that much worse than lots of other major airport to inner city connections. Plus I'm pretty sure in the original Godzilla movie where it wrecks the train that was a JR line train so you're probably safer in the Keisei.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 1,690,813 times
[quote=munna21977;49946011]Nowadays Haneda Airport also handles International Flights to 17 countries including USA, Canada. It is much closer and connected with Tokyo transportation system. If somebody is travelling to Tokyo, I would advise him/her to fly into Haneda and use Narita only if you are changing international flights.

Or there is the option of not flying at all. If the OP is going to Fukuoka, they can take the jetfoil to Pusan. It is kind of interesting to use the boat system in Japan/Korea as it adds to the experience. Korea is pretty tiny, so it doesnít really take all that long to get anywhere from Pusan. Tokyo is not really all that exciting compared to the rest of Japan (Iíve lived in Japan) and I wouldnít recommend sticking around in that area just to fly somewhere else. Most other larger cities like Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kobe, and Osaka also have international flights.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:15 PM

97 posts, read 89,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Hawaii is nice but it doesn't take very long to see everything unless you're going to do some serious hiking around the islands. The main island that Honolulu is on is only like 20 miles long and there's only a couple of roads that go to the western and northern parts of it. it's fun to drive around it for a few days in a convertible. Check out the volcano, do some snorkeling, explore the beaches and some of the resorts and boulevards, etc. I stayed at the Hilton Waikiki resort when I was there and explored most of that area by foot such as Kalakaua Ave and so on.
I guess my "everything" is very different from yours. And you can't drive to the volcano since it is on a different island. Honolulu and Waikiki are on Oahu, as is Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, Diamond Head crater, and many other places to see/things to do that would easily take up 4 days. The active volcano Kilauea is on Hawaii Island (aka the Big Island).

Old 11-03-2017, 12:59 PM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Those promoting Thailand - LOL...are you guys kidding? That's pretty darn far from Japan and it's in the opposite direction from the states. Just because they are in the same hemisphere doesn't mean they are convenient to each other.

OP I always prefer to stay one trip/one country. But maybe a stop off point mid trip like Hawaii isn't a bad idea like others discussed and it will also break up that tiresome long flight back home. Korea is right next door. China is just a bit farther (Beijing maybe?) but you need a visa.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:18 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweez View Post
I guess my "everything" is very different from yours. And you can't drive to the volcano since it is on a different island. Honolulu and Waikiki are on Oahu, as is Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, Diamond Head crater, and many other places to see/things to do that would easily take up 4 days. The active volcano Kilauea is on Hawaii Island (aka the Big Island).
Agreed with all this.

Havenít been to Hawaii but have researched it some. You could spend a full day at Pearl Harbor alone, plus thereís no shortage of museums (including several art museums, history museums like the Bishop Museum, and some historic houses and buildings to tour) and places like botanical gardens and arboretums. If youíre a voracious sightseer like me, you could easily spend a week on Oahu. And islands like the big island and Maui can merit at least a couple days each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or