Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

If you were heading to Japan, what other country would you try to visit alongside it?

(Thinking about in terms of flights, costs, ease of travel in between, places of interest, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Guam. (But full disclosure, it's because I have a lot of family there)

Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Narita is a major connection hub for flights to/from Asia so your options are really wide open in terms of ease of flights and cost. How long are you looking to go, like a quick sidetrip of a few days or a week/more somewhere else?

Old 10-15-2017, 02:44 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
You could stop in Hawaii for several days either over or back.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Time of yr?

You might want a similar climate to utilize the same wardrobe.
Or a tropical paradise that requires NO wardrobe.

Korea, Taiwan is close-by, China has similar climate in areas.

history?
Cultural?
Food?
Interests?

There is a lot to see and do in Japan, How many months are you there?

Old 10-15-2017, 05:23 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
South Korea. You can spend about 2 days there to cover most. Not as exciting or interesting as Japan.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Newsflash: Here on planet earth, we peons only travel for a couple of weeks.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Guam. (But full disclosure, it's because I have a lot of family there)
Funnily enough my husband mentioned Guam because his dad was in the Navy and LOVED Guam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Narita is a major connection hub for flights to/from Asia so your options are really wide open in terms of ease of flights and cost. How long are you looking to go, like a quick sidetrip of a few days or a week/more somewhere else?
My guess would be less than a week for the side trip but maybe around four days or so? I guess it would depend on how much travel and cost it would entail. Or how much time is "needed" to sort of explore a place. I think I want the side trip to be a smaller place with less time needed to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Did not think about it but I do think it will be $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Time of yr?

You might want a similar climate to utilize the same wardrobe.
Or a tropical paradise that requires NO wardrobe.

Korea, Taiwan is close-by, China has similar climate in areas.

history?
Cultural?
Food?
Interests?

Most of us don't travel for months. I am thinking a trip somewhere along the lines of two weeks.

I think climate-wise, yes, I would like similarities. I have had two people suggest Taiwan. I wouldn't want to do China---feels too big for both. I read the best times to visit Japan are March through May and September through November. I would prefer slightly warmer to slightly cooler weather.

My husband really wants to go to Asia. He used to be very much into Japanese culture but then when I ask him about he doesn't really know what he wants to do or where he wants to go. We are big walkers so we prefer places that are easy to get around, either walking or transit-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
South Korea. You can spend about 2 days there to cover most. Not as exciting or interesting as Japan.
I have a friend who has been living there for a few years. But I can't tell if he's just not as thrilled being there anymore or if he just likes other places better but stays in Korea for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Newsflash: Here on planet earth, we peons only travel for a couple of weeks.
If that! I am going on vacation next week for a week and that is my first vacation in a year.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Now you're talking.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
OP wants a side trip and people recommend Hawaii?? It is far and it is expensive. And although it may look like so, there is almost no flight that goes to Japan from the US with a connection in Hawaii because it makes no sense. I don't know why people think you can just make a stop in Hawaii from North America to East Asia... planes don't fly that way.

Japan is not huge but there is plenty to see, even if you have two weeks. There is more than just Tokyo, Kyoto and Fuji Mountain. Korea is close by but it is one of the most boring countries to travel to (along with Singapore in the East Asian context), so don't waste your four days there.

China is not far but too big. It deserves another trip. Plus you need a visa, so probably not worth spending just 3 or 4 days there.

So instead of wanting to see more countries, why not see more regions in Japan, unless you have more than two weeks to spare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel