U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM

12,266 posts, read 18,397,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Thank you I wanted to rep you but I am out of reps.
He's essentially repeating what I said in post #9 and most of the posters are distinguishing countries at least - although strangely they don't seem to know what is north vs. south vs. central Africa. Yeah it's very diverse and it seems most people get there knowledge of Africa from watching Tarzan movies.
At least the OP limited it to a region of Africa. There was one post a while back saying "hey I want to visit Africa, give me some advice"...I told her that was slightly less precise then saying "hey I want to visit the planet earth".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 03:31 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Morocco for example, is pretty safe. Algeria is quite safe. Both are safer than the USA. Madagascar and Mauritius are pretty safe too.[/quote]

Algeria, really? I had heard otherwise. I have traveled to Morocco and hope to go back someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Zambia. Granted that is a bit South (as opposed to central) but for first time Africa tourism I'll always recommend Livingstone Zambia.

Reason = Botswana is right across the river with all of the big five in Chobe Natl Park, can even be done by day trip. You'll probably see more elephants and hippos in Chobe than anywhere else in Africa. Victoria Falls is close enough that you can see the mist from town during heavy season, and you can take a taxi 10 minutes to the border to see the Zimbabwe side. There is a natl park near Livingston where you can go on safari walks (you get a guide and a security guy with AK-47) to see rhinos, giraffes, etc.

You don't need an organized tour just book a flight to LV (usually via Joberg ZA) and a hotel in town, many hotels will ipick you up from the airport which is right in town. The town itself is walkable and pretty safe (by Africa standards) and has real supermarkets and plenty of restaurants.

If you want to see more can take a bus to Nambia to see the desert, Zimbabwe has a natl park nearby, and South Africa (Kruger, etc.) is a really short cheap flight. I'd highly recommend going to the desert in Nambia, copper colored dunes an almost surreal experience that you'll never forget. Plus they have locals who click to talk.

Granted the gist of your question was much farther north Sudan/Rawanda, and it is possible to see some really cool stuff up there like gorillas but it sure as hell isn't cheap to do it safely.
My plan is to visit Southern Africa someday but I also want to see gorillas and chimps. I know you can see them in Uganda but the lowland jungle areas also seem very interesting, just not enough if it's a dangerous location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is always funny to see Americans talk about Africa as if it were one homogeneous country where everyone is a poor black and everywhere is dangerous.

Africa is bigger than the US, China, India, the entire Europe combined, and has 3 times the population of the US.
I hope you're not including me in this.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-18-2017 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 PM

1,185 posts, read 662,802 times

Madagascar is dealing with a plague outbreak at this time with over 70 dead with fatalities climbing. Many more are infected. And yes, this is THE plague so it would not be considered safe now.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-18-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post

Madagascar is dealing with a plague outbreak at this time with over 70 dead with fatalities climbing. Many more are infected. And yes, this is THE plague so it would not be considered safe now.
That's on my list of places to visit. Maybe not quite yet though...

Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Algeria is very safe, safer than Morocco.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Algeria is very safe, safer than Morocco.
Are you sure?
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or