Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:33 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

Mostly I'm asking this out of boredom on a Sunday afternoon, but I have always thought the landscape and wildlife in Central Africa look interesting. Are there actually any places in Central Africa that are safe to visit? I know places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo are out, but are there other safe places that are similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 06:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Mostly I'm asking this out of boredom on a Sunday afternoon, but I have always thought the landscape and wildlife in Central Africa look interesting. Are there actually any places in Central Africa that are safe to visit? I know places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo are out, but are there other safe places that are similar?
Some of these places definitely appear to be unwise safety choices: DRC, Central African Republic, Burundi, and Zimbabwe for example. But in other countries where the local wildlife could be a major draw, safety is likely not so much an issue if you're part of a well-organized, supervised tour: am guessing places like South Africa (not in Central Africa, of course), Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda might qualify here. Can't speak from experience, though.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Zambia. Granted that is a bit South (as opposed to central) but for first time Africa tourism I'll always recommend Livingstone Zambia.

Reason = Botswana is right across the river with all of the big five in Chobe Natl Park, can even be done by day trip. You'll probably see more elephants and hippos in Chobe than anywhere else in Africa. Victoria Falls is close enough that you can see the mist from town during heavy season, and you can take a taxi 10 minutes to the border to see the Zimbabwe side. There is a natl park near Livingston where you can go on safari walks (you get a guide and a security guy with AK-47) to see rhinos, giraffes, etc.

You don't need an organized tour just book a flight to LV (usually via Joberg ZA) and a hotel in town, many hotels will ipick you up from the airport which is right in town. The town itself is walkable and pretty safe (by Africa standards) and has real supermarkets and plenty of restaurants.

If you want to see more can take a bus to Nambia to see the desert, Zimbabwe has a natl park nearby, and South Africa (Kruger, etc.) is a really short cheap flight. I'd highly recommend going to the desert in Nambia, copper colored dunes an almost surreal experience that you'll never forget. Plus they have locals who click to talk.

Granted the gist of your question was much farther north Sudan/Rawanda, and it is possible to see some really cool stuff up there like gorillas but it sure as hell isn't cheap to do it safely.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My impression is that "safe" and anywhere in Africa are mutually exclusive.
That's like saying "if you go to Chicago, you'll get shot".

We spent a month in Capetown and travelling through the eastern Cape. Never once felt unsafe (except when DH had to drive). I'll admit, we would not have gone to Pretoria, and would be skittish about J-berg. We did our safari in the Eastern Cape specifically to avoid having to take anti malarial drugs.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:28 AM

285 posts, read 386,065 times
Rwanda

Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Some of these places definitely appear to be unwise safety choices: DRC, Central African Republic, Burundi, and Zimbabwe for example. But in other countries where the local wildlife could be a major draw, safety is likely not so much an issue if you're part of a well-organized, supervised tour: am guessing places like South Africa (not in Central Africa, of course), Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda might qualify here. Can't speak from experience, though.
As I understand Zimbabwe isn't as dangerous as it used to be nor is Uganda. Kenya is unsafe from research I've done.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
All of these countries in Central Africa (note - Central Africa is NOT Capetown, Madagascar, Algeria, etc. Africa is a diverse CONTINENT) seem to be unstable, with various issues with crime and civil unrest, rebel groups, you name it.

However people do travel there for business and tourism. Tourist usually for Safari's that are carefully chaperoned and organized and they would obviously be security and safety conscious and you would not have a chance to go off on your own to get in trouble.

Likewise business travelers stay in urban centers with proper security around hotels and businesses.
I've never been to Central Africa, been North Africa and South Africa and never had a problem. I've also been to my share of dangerous crapholes, it's amazing even in these places you will find the 5 star Hiltons, expensive resteraunts, suits, and professionalism. All under careful guard of course - I've entered hotels and businesses in some countries that have more security than the Pentagon.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:15 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Malawi is pretty nice in my opinion. I enjoyed my visit there a few years ago. I've heard that Uganda and Rwanda are safe nowadays.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
it is always funny to see Americans talk about Africa as if it were one homogeneous country where everyone is a poor black and everywhere is dangerous.

Africa is bigger than the US, China, India, the entire Europe combined, and has 3 times the population of the US.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:01 AM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is always funny to see Americans talk about Africa as if it were one homogeneous country where everyone is a poor black and everywhere is dangerous.

Africa is bigger than the US, China, India, the entire Europe combined, and has 3 times the population of the US.

Thank you I wanted to rep you but I am out of reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel