U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,125,468 times

Advertisements

The therapy dog thing is ridiculous. What if one of these dogs has Rabies? They should have to prove these dogs are immunized, and prove the medical need for the "therapy dog".
And lots of people are allergic to animals. It's not really fair for the paid passenger to be suffering an allergy attack due to the unpaid ANIMAL sitting next to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 05:34 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,767,327 times
When I attended rat shows, there was a person stationed at the entry to the show who examined each individual rat for any parasites or health issues. Rats are very susceptible to viruses and no one wanted their rats exposed to a sick one.

Why they can't do this on flights is more than I know. And just because the dogs were in the cabin doesn't mean you can't bring home fleas. If a dog or cat flies in cargo, they can still infest your luggage with fleas. In fact, I'm not sure, but with all those suitcases piled up together, I wouldn't think it would be unheard of for bedbugs to spread in cargo holds either.

And if someone who used your seat ahead of you had lice, that's something else you'd probably pick up when you sit down. Just the way the world is today.

I personally think we need to have a nationwide certified therapy dog association that's overseen by the government and they should be the only ones to be able to certify therapy dogs. And if your dog is a certified therapy dog, he should have a special tag, be required to be vaccinated, and have a certificate saying he has been obedience trained and can be kept under control by his owner. No one would expect a guide dog to be out of control on a plane or anywhere else, so why do we allow this with service dogs?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:38 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,767,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
The therapy dog thing is ridiculous. What if one of these dogs has Rabies? They should have to prove these dogs are immunized, and prove the medical need for the "therapy dog".
And lots of people are allergic to animals. It's not really fair for the paid passenger to be suffering an allergy attack due to the unpaid ANIMAL sitting next to them.
Well, yes and no. I can see your point if the dog really isn't a therapy dog. However, what if the dog is a guide dog?

The thing is, if you were allergic to heavy perfume and someone was sitting next to wearing it, there really wouldn't be much you could do about that either on a full flight. And unless the airlines start really getting picky, how are they going to stop women with perfume or men with aftershave from getting on a flight? For that matter, if someone has a peanut allergy, I may not know that and maybe I ate a Snickers bar or something before sitting down next to them. Sometimes the world can't stop for one individual.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM

30,129 posts, read 47,361,961 times
Re the "therapy/service dog"
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/service...-pets-illegal/

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

The last question seems to deny that service animals are always allowed on flights--
And earlier one says that service animals (not emotional support ones) must be under control of their handlers/owners -- not allowed to bark continuously...although they can't be expected to be "bark free" at times...

Last edited by loves2read; 10-22-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 PM

And they are going to have to take that plane out of service--
Bedbugs likely infested from luggage in the overhead compartments
They are going to have to strip all the interior fixtures and burn them...
Flight crew has likely taken infected luggage home and to hotels they overnight at

Surprising that other people have not reported similar episodes

Check BedBug registry.com anytime you make a hotel stay...

Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 AM

11,938 posts, read 20,400,010 times
Quote:
I thought, like peanut allergies, if when you booked your ticket, you informed the airline of your allergy, they would not allow someone with an animal book, or let you know someone already had so you could change. I don’t think you can show up with a critter and expect to be accommodated.

Service and therapy animals are allowed, as are pets now, but they aren’t on every single flight. Your allergy can be accommodated, too.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:24 AM

11,302 posts, read 21,771,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The bites wouldn't bother me as much as the possibility of taking them home with me.
In this case, they brought them to their AirBnB where they were staying. Sure, they took normal precautionary steps but if they were really covered with these things, there was probably a stray somewhere that got dropped off in the AirBnB rental.

One more reason not to rent your home out for short term stays, as if any more were needed!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,130,549 times
Quote:
I'm alergic to cats and If I were to sit in a seat where an animal sat, I would have terrible breathing issues along with swelling. Perfume and aftershave cause that to a lesser extent. I sympathize with those who have allergies.

That written, I had wanted to fly to with a little dog. The carrier told me that he would be $95 each way (not free) and would have to sit in a portable carrier (no running around) under the seat in front of me. If he was too big for that (he was), I would have to look into shipping him as cargo. I opted to leave him home. Meanwhile, going to the same airlines website, emotional support pets don't require carriers, don't require a fee, and are supposed to have documentation. I get that some people legitimately need their support animals, but why aren't they paying anything for them to travel?

Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And they are going to have to take that plane out of service--
Bedbugs likely infested from luggage in the overhead compartments
They are going to have to strip all the interior fixtures and burn them...
Flight crew has likely taken infected luggage home and to hotels they overnight at

Surprising that other people have not reported similar episodes

Check BedBug registry.com anytime you make a hotel stay...
Heat Treatment is common here...

The area is heated to 130+ and maintained for a period of time.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm alergic to cats and If I were to sit in a seat where an animal sat, I would have terrible breathing issues along with swelling. Perfume and aftershave cause that to a lesser extent. I sympathize with those who have allergies.

That written, I had wanted to fly to with a little dog. The carrier told me that he would be $95 each way (not free) and would have to sit in a portable carrier (no running around) under the seat in front of me. If he was too big for that (he was), I would have to look into shipping him as cargo. I opted to leave him home. Meanwhile, going to the same airlines website, emotional support pets don't require carriers, don't require a fee, and are supposed to have documentation. I get that some people legitimately need their support animals, but why aren't they paying anything for them to travel?
Because it is a "disability" which requires a true service/therapy animal
Not referring to all the bogus chihuahuas stuck in some lady's purse because she is afraid to have it travel in cargo or a German Shephard too big to fit under the seat...

There are real people with real disabilities who need real service dogs--these other bogus abusers of the language make me sick--
I think anyone with a disability who has a service dog has the medical wherewithal to get a certification from an authentic agency/oversight concern...
Their dogs HAVE training in behaving in public

All states should pass laws to punish those who abuse this right since Congress is too screwed up to do anything productive under POTUS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or