Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Because it is a "disability" which requires a true service/therapy animal
Not referring to all the bogus chihuahuas stuck in some lady's purse because she is afraid to have it travel in cargo or a German Shephard too big to fit under the seat...

There are real people with real disabilities who need real service dogs--these other bogus abusers of the language make me sick--
I think anyone with a disability who has a service dog has the medical wherewithal to get a certification from an authentic agency/oversight concern...
Their dogs HAVE training in behaving in public

All states should pass laws to punish those who abuse this right since Congress is too screwed up to do anything productive under POTUS...
People take advantage because of policies like the one below. SWA states they can't ask for "proof" of a disability, yet a little further down states they require a letter on a medical professional's letterhead acknowledging the passenger has a recognized disorder per the medical diagnostic code book, and identifies the doctor they are seeing. Semantics at best.

Meanwhile, according to the allergy page on their web site, they will offer to seat people who are allergic to the animal as far away in the cabin as is possible. If I sit where a cat has been sitting, the allergies flare. Are they cleaniing the airplanes with a HEPA vac between flights?

Quote:
At the airport
Southwest Airlines welcomes fully trained service animals and emotional support animals accompanying a Customer with a disability on our flights. As our requirements for transporting each type of animal are different, our Employees are trained to ask some factfinding questions to determine which classification applies to a Customer’s animal. We can’t ask a Customer to specify his/her disability, nor can we ask for “proof” of a disability. However, it is acceptable for our Employees to ask some factfinding questions to ascertain what assistance an animal provides.
Service and emotional support animals must be trained to behave in a public setting. If an animal behaves poorly, it may be denied boarding.
NOTE: Southwest Airlines does not accept therapy dogs for transportation. We also do not accept rodents, reptiles, insects, hedgehogs, rabbits, sugar gliders or other exotic animals.

Onboard
In accordance with federal safety regulations, the animal must be positioned so as not to obstruct Customers' expeditious evacuation in the unlikely event of an emergency. In addition, Customers traveling with a fully trained service animal or an emotional support animal cannot sit in an emergency exit seat. Service and emotional support animals can be placed on the aircraft floor or on the Customer’s lap (provided the animal is no larger than a child under the age of two). Southwest Airlines does not allow the animals to be placed on an aircraft seat.
Customers are not required to transport fully trained service animals or emotional support animals in pet carriers. However, if a Customer opts to carry his/her fully trained service animal or emotional support animal in a pet carrier, the carrier must be properly stowed for taxi, takeoff, and landing.

Documentation requirements for emotional support animals

Animals used for a Customer's emotional support are accepted in the cabin. Emotional support animals will be allowed to travel on flights to/from all domestic and international destinations with the exception of Jamaica. No animals will be allowed to travel to/from Jamaica on Southwest Airlines under any circumstances due to country-specific regulations. In order for a Customer to travel with an emotional support animal, the Customer must provide to a Southwest Airlines Employee current documentation (not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health professional or medical doctor who is treating the Customer's mental health-related disability stating:
1) The Passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
2) The Passenger needs the emotional support of psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination
3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor, and the Passenger is under his or her professional care AND
4) The date and type of mental health professional's or medical doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 04:09 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
I remember the group with SAR dogs who had just been used in an exhausting search. They were flown out by a special plane, but on the way home after days of being in the field, they were told they couldn't bring their dogs in the cabin of the airline they were flying home on and that each of them had to buy an expensive crate and ship their dogs in the cargo area. Never mind that these dogs had been involved in saving lives, were the epitome of good dog behavior, and probably so wiped out they would collapse to sleep (like their owners) and not wake up till they got home.

Then they allow so-called therapy dogs to fly without so much as a blink. This riles me.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:12 PM

287 posts, read 896,733 times
If these passengers were being bothered by bed bugs I would think it highly unlikely that they were the only ones being munched on. The bugs like to roam. Unless they were from the passenger on the previous flight and hadn't had time to breed. Yuck.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
Heck, dogs sitting in the laps of their owners while he/she is driving...now the irks me! The ultimate in distracted driving! But that's another topic.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:08 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
I believe this therapy dog thing is regulated by the state and the criteria varies from state to state. Some people order one of those therapy dog harnesses online and voila, they have a therapy dog.

Every animal, whether in the cargo bey or the main cabin should have documentation that the animal has been examined by a vet within a certain amount of time before being allowed to board. Flying is very stressful for animals and they can't talk to complain when something is bothering them. Guide dogs are trained to deal with various situations, but therapy dogs, who receive no training, are not prepared for this environment, not to mention the change of pressure affecting their ears. If a vet had examined that dog, the fleas would have been detected and the animal would have been treated. Humans suffer, but the animals suffer too because of the owner's selfishness.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:16 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
People take advantage because of policies like the one below. SWA states they can't ask for "proof" of a disability, yet a little further down states they require a letter on a medical professional's letterhead acknowledging the passenger has a recognized disorder per the medical diagnostic code book, and identifies the doctor they are seeing. Semantics at best.
Virtually the same procedures/rules/limitations that a landlord has when renting an apartment. So don't blame SWA.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,786,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, yes and no. I can see your point if the dog really isn't a therapy dog. However, what if the dog is a guide dog?

The thing is, if you were allergic to heavy perfume and someone was sitting next to wearing it, there really wouldn't be much you could do about that either on a full flight. And unless the airlines start really getting picky, how are they going to stop women with perfume or men with aftershave from getting on a flight? For that matter, if someone has a peanut allergy, I may not know that and maybe I ate a Snickers bar or something before sitting down next to them. Sometimes the world can't stop for one individual.

Guide dogs are less common as this whole therapy dog trend where lately I see them on every flight.

Airlines need to have a PLAN to reseat individuals who are allergic - or even those who are scared of dogs.

Although you can have your personal snickers, airlines for the most part have been responsive to peanut/nut allergies because they can cause anaphylaxis and death.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:06 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,080,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Similar issues from fleas from 'lap dogs' emotional support animals... flying as 'companions'.

Had one right behind me last week and we had 3 rows itching by the time we completed the 3 hr flight.
The airlines should mandate that service dogs be given a Capstar when the dog owners check in. Doesn't hurt them and it starts killing the fleas shortly after ingesting the pill.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I thought, like peanut allergies, if when you booked your ticket, you informed the airline of your allergy, they would not allow someone with an animal book, or let you know someone already had so you could change. I don’t think you can show up with a critter and expect to be accommodated.

Service and therapy animals are allowed, as are pets now, but they aren’t on every single flight. Your allergy can be accommodated, too.
I have been told by the airline if someone utters ' service animal', they can not say ANYTHING cause of the ADA act. Now I have not flown every single airline out there but Delta, United, SW and Jet BLue in the last 3 years.

The animal party also has to book ahead.

I'm sure after the service PIG incedent, maybe they have rules on what kind of service animal can be brought on.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post

Guide dogs are less common as this whole therapy dog trend where lately I see them on every flight.

Airlines need to have a PLAN to reseat individuals who are allergic - or even those who are scared of dogs.

Although you can have your personal snickers, airlines for the most part have been responsive to peanut/nut allergies because they can cause anaphylaxis and death.
Why do you think people carry epi-pens? Cause they can have the same reactions as kids do to peanuts.
The epi's are to save their life.

Cats are my 'peanuts.' Now you can have your own personal 'snickers'.

I rarely see TRUE service dogs. You know, the kind that behave, have been trained/licenses. If so, they lay at the masters feet and sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel