U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times

Advertisements

^^^ Nice call on the ramen, this has actually become a big thing here in NYC the past 5+ years or so & it will probably spread just as sushi, mole, hummus & all the various ethnic foods that we have adopted ( I'm old enough to remember yogurt being considered an exotic item for a fringe "health foods" culture way back when ).

I don't know how much of the good ramen has made it to the rest of the country yet, I'm sure a lot of places are probably doing a cheap noodle soup version. It's worth doing some digging about well regarded ramen shops around town, the problem I had with some of the most highly regarded, like Ippudo, was the long lines outside of the small venues, I didn't have time during a working lunch to wait. My Road to Damascus conversion to ramen was at David Chang's Momofuku Noodle Bar, mmm..... So if a well regarded place, like perhaps Shio above, doesn't have a long line that's cool.

I guess the other big food fad here that has lasted while gourmet soup & cupcakes have waned is the gourmet hamburger, every good restaurant seems to have one with some sort of secret mix of beef cuts. Everybody has their own favorite on both the high & lower end places. Pizza, good NYC style, has suffered a horrible decline in recent decades as the original Italian family owned places have closed & corporate pizza & pizza shops by new ethnic arrivals who have no reference points as to the kind of flour or sauce or anything that was used now dominate. It's very hard to find the good stuff anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 05:33 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times
Re: family owned places shutting down and replaced by corporate chain stores, so true!

A lot of my favorite restaurants were gone.

Btw, I heard that Katz Deli closed down for good. I was sad to hear it. They're pricey, true, but so delicious!

Old 11-05-2017, 02:39 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Re: family owned places shutting down and replaced by corporate chain stores, so true!

A lot of my favorite restaurants were gone.

Btw, I heard that Katz Deli closed down for good. I was sad to hear it. They're pricey, true, but so delicious!
Not that I know of. In fact, they’re reportedly going to open a satellite location in Brooklyn. You’re probably thinking of the Carnegie Deli, which closed at the end of last year.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:58 AM

15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Not that I know of. In fact, they’re reportedly going to open a satellite location in Brooklyn. You’re probably thinking of the Carnegie Deli, which closed at the end of last year.
Correct. It was the Carnegie Deli that closed. After 87 years. It still has outpost locations in Brooklyn and Las Vegas (I think).

I lived on LI until I was 18 (1975). In those days, the Stage Deli was also a big deal (along with the still open Katz's). Is Stage Deli still open and well regarded?

Old 11-05-2017, 09:42 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Correct. It was the Carnegie Deli that closed. After 87 years. It still has outpost locations in Brooklyn and Las Vegas (I think).

I lived on LI until I was 18 (1975). In those days, the Stage Deli was also a big deal (along with the still open Katz's). Is Stage Deli still open and well regarded?
Not so much, it's mostly an overpriced venue in what is mostly an out of town tourist area, Katz's isn't cheap but it is legit. The Second Ave Deli is still around & great (tho' in a new location), & a more comfortable interior than Katz, & Sarge's Deli is a not bad but distant 3rd I'd say, but better than Stage. I think the newer legit deli's, like Mile End, are in Brooklyn but I haven't been to them yet.

BTW I left LI in 1975 too! But I returned 22 years ago (to Queens). Remember the Nathan's in Oceanside?

I will venture that the biggest changes since are Chelsea & along the Queens/Brooklyn waterfront: LIC-Williamsburg-Dumbo & worth a day's visit, lots of interesting bars/restaurants in Williamsburg now. And the almost complete corporatization of businesses/stores south of Harlem & Washington Heights is striking, all chains. The West Village is all bankers/stars/models & trust fund kids but the buildings are the same, funny that..

Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
Hefe’s deli information is spot on. Katz’s and Second Avenue are the best NYC delis to my way of thinking. Sarge’s isn’t bad, but agreed, ranks third locally at best.

Stage Deli is well known but not in the same class as these, and Carnegie wasn’t much better. Both places offer(ed) trencherman size portions of food. Could a normal person really eat all that? Not me, and I can put away a decent amount of food if so inclined.

Went to an outpost of Ben’s Kosher Deli once, which was just okay. Had also tried Artie’s, but they’re now closed as well — not bad, though. Never tried Pastrami Queen.

Should also mention Barney Greengrass, which is known for smoked fish in particular. Liked it the time I went there.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:15 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We live in Raleigh, NC. Not exactly a tourist hot spot. Atlanta, im sure, would get more requests than we do. That said, sometimes it's just luck. To join just to go to NYC, Paris, or SF is a waste of your money. They are considered the 'unicorns' of home exchange. The ONLY reason we scored this one is because grandparents want to see their grandson in a soccer tournament, and we were able to accommodate their dates.

Certainly, we had more inquiries when we lived in Phoenix and had a larger home. We receive fewer requests, but they are more solid; those people have a reason they want to visit here. And there's less competition. Accordingly, the requests for our small home in Raleigh have 'closed more often. I rarely search for a specific place we want to visit as it leads to frustration and disappointment.

We moved into our home in Jan 2013 and began to advertise it on home exchange in june 2013. Since then, we have done 3 exchanges in Florida, one in Philly a month in Cape town, SA and this one in NYC. We've received many other requests that we have declined.

Obviously, we're fans.
Thank you!!

You have just convinced me to rejoin!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 PM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Complex is very interesting as you get to explore an aircraft carrier full of planes and on the complex a Concorde you can walk through and a submarine, also since last i was there they've added a space shuttle pavilion (Enterprize)

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/AircraftCarrierIntrepid

The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is located on the West side of Manhattan on Pier 86, 12th Ave. & 46th Street.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Hefe’s deli information is spot on. Katz’s and Second Avenue are the best NYC delis to my way of thinking. Sarge’s isn’t bad, but agreed, ranks third locally at best.

Stage Deli is well known but not in the same class as these, and Carnegie wasn’t much better. Both places offer(ed) trencherman size portions of food. Could a normal person really eat all that? Not me, and I can put away a decent amount of food if so inclined.

Went to an outpost of Ben’s Kosher Deli once, which was just okay. Had also tried Artie’s, but they’re now closed as well — not bad, though. Never tried Pastrami Queen.

Should also mention Barney Greengrass, which is known for smoked fish in particular. Liked it the time I went there.
There is also Ben's Best (Deli) in Rego Park, Queens which is quite good. (http://bensbest.com/)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel