U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:42 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times

Advertisements

Quite a long list! My 2 cents? Consider Portugal - safe, lively & inexpensive (good for retired budget) with 2 wonderful cities: Lisbon & Oporto & a great southern coastline beach resort area: the Algarve. Also coastal Croatia is worth a visit: Split to Dubrovnik + the islands. Safe also for a senior gal: Ireland, (not Europe: Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore). I've heard that Iceland is interesting as well by those who visited there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:45 PM

1,711 posts, read 613,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Quite a long list! My 2 cents? Consider Portugal - safe, lively & inexpensive (good for retired budget) with 2 wonderful cities: Lisbon & Oporto & a great southern coastline beach resort area: the Algarve. Also coastal Croatia is worth a visit: Split to Dubrovnik + the islands. Safe also for a senior gal: Ireland, (not Europe: Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore). I've heard that Iceland is interesting as well by those who visited there.
Yes, most places in Asia are very safe, but I have been to Asia a lot in the recent years. Re Mediterranean Europe, I actually lived thereabouts as a child, so have a lesser interest in it than in the North and continental areas. The list is constructed based on many things I have read or thought about over the years (and in some cases, based on good memories from distant past, and the wish to go there again in different time), so I am not actually looking for suggestions where else to go (as you see, I am well supplied with destinations :-) - I just need to know what to avoid (and perhaps what new developments to see) in those places I have listed. I hope some Englush, French, German etc people will also chime in on this thread with local opinions.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:54 PM

1,711 posts, read 613,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
I've been to a number of European cities in the past (mostly back in the sixties/seventies) but given the state of the world right now, I don't think I'd go anywhere in Europe. Same goes for most major US cities - am I being a bit paranoid?

Walessp
Most major US cities (except for the famously ghettoish areas of these cities where visitors don't go anyway) are actually extremely safe, and much safer than in the 70s. Based on my experiences, large cities are actually safer than small towns if you are traveling in the US. Regarding Europe... well, I have been busy living and working in the US for 35 years, so am out of touch... the reason why I want to collect some advice here.

There is always one in a billion chance something can happen out in a crowd like this shooting in Las Vegas recently, but if you lock yourself in the bedroom for 30 years there is also one in a billion chance that you may have a house fire or get burglarized by Charles Manson.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Add Romania. It's got beautiful landscapes, castles, charming squares, is affordable, and way less crowded than most of the Western European destinations.

Can't miss in Romania = Brasov. Very walkable city with lots to see and do.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:13 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Always know where the exit is, whether you're on a plane, in a hotel, visiting a museum, watching a performer in a city square, or just walking across a bridge in London.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Most major US cities (except for the famously ghettoish areas of these cities where visitors don't go anyway) are actually extremely safe, and much safer than in the 70s. Based on my experiences, large cities are actually safer than small towns if you are traveling in the US. Regarding Europe... well, I have been busy living and working in the US for 35 years, so am out of touch... the reason why I want to collect some advice here.

There is always one in a billion chance something can happen out in a crowd like this shooting in Las Vegas recently, but if you lock yourself in the bedroom for 30 years there is also one in a billion chance that you may have a house fire or get burglarized by Charles Manson.
I believe that statistically you are still much safer in European cities compared to US cities, if its any comfort to you there are millions of women living and going about their daily lives safely in the cities of Europe, asking if any first world cities (either side of the pond) are safe is a bit like asking if its safe to fly.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:45 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I believe that statistically you are still much safer in European cities compared to US cities, if its any comfort to you there are millions of women living and going about their daily lives safely in the cities of Europe, asking if any first world cities (either side of the pond) are safe is a bit like asking if its safe to fly.
Well the politics of crime aren't really what the OP asked but...

Have you ever been here? We have over 300 Million people and can say the same about our daily lives.

There's no statistical comparison. This topic is a riddle with no answer, albeit hotly debated even HERE in the US, because the reporting and definition of "city", "safety" and "crime" is so disparate among all these places and the US.

IE: People love throwing around the "gun violence" claim here, when 60% of the figures are attributable to suicides.

IE: The UK having it's own internal debate on the topic of "crime" even omitting the larger scale "terror" activities.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e-figures-show

I do think the OP can rely on the evident fewer high profile European terrorist incidents of 2017 compared to 2016, though, if that holds true. If that's her concern. My guess is it'll take ISIS inspired recruitment a while to make up for losing it's power this year.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 AM

2,980 posts, read 2,706,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
I've been to a number of European cities in the past (mostly back in the sixties/seventies) but given the state of the world right now, I don't think I'd go anywhere in Europe. Same goes for most major US cities - am I being a bit paranoid?

Walessp
You are way too paranoid.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You are way too paranoid.
Yes, and I doubt where he lives now is any safer than Europe.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:13 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well the politics of crime aren't really what the OP asked but...

Have you ever been here? We have over 300 Million people and can say the same about our daily lives.

There's no statistical comparison. This topic is a riddle with no answer, albeit hotly debated even HERE in the US, because the reporting and definition of "city", "safety" and "crime" is so disparate among all these places and the US.

IE: People love throwing around the "gun violence" claim here, when 60% of the figures are attributable to suicides.

IE: The UK having it's own internal debate on the topic of "crime" even omitting the larger scale "terror" activities.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e-figures-show

I do think the OP can rely on the evident fewer high profile European terrorist incidents of 2017 compared to 2016, though, if that holds true. If that's her concern. My guess is it'll take ISIS inspired recruitment a while to make up for losing it's power this year.
I wasn't trying to have a 'dig' at US cities but rather trying to show just how 'safe' European cities are. I believe statistically you are in greater danger in the US but that doesn't mean I think its a lawless hellhole there either! The point is worrying about coming to Europe is just paranoia. I believe also (for example) that the UK had more 'terrorist incidents' in the 70's and 80's than it does now (mostly IRA) yet it didn't seem to deter people from travelling to London back then. Don't get me started on the gun violence thing! Even taking away the suicides the amount of people shot to death in the US is astronomical, it wouldn't stop me visiting though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or