U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:20 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,442,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Yep, Canary Islands too :-). I know about Spain (notice that Madrid is not on the list, although I will likely have to fly there, but with the exception of staying briefly at the hotel, maybe seeing the Prado again, I will not hang out there for any extended time), but really really really want to see the Andalucia in detail.

Of course, re pickpockets, the passport and any major money are always in the money belt under the clothes (incl under the other regular belt), the wallet is in an inner zippered pocket of a jacket, or under the top layer of clothes, and the tote that I am carrying contains cheap insignificant items like an umbrella and a "fake" wallet with things like old credit card with inactivated number and $12 in local currency.
What is the purpose of a "fake" wallet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 PM

39,935 posts, read 3,031,625 times
make photocopies of your passport & tickets & leave those in your hotel room. Dress modestly ( no expensive outfits or accessories.) Have fun & be aware of your surroundings always.

Someone mentioned Pompei from Naples, you can also do it as a day trip from Rome, which is what we did, one of those small bus tours that pick you up at the hotel & take you there for a guided tour, & back to Rome in the evening.

Safe & happy travels to you.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM
DKM

2,853 posts, read 1,022,097 times
While not a hard rule, the further north you are in Europe, the safer and vice versa.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:38 PM

956 posts, read 1,778,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
I've been to a number of European cities in the past (mostly back in the sixties/seventies) but given the state of the world right now, I don't think I'd go anywhere in Europe. Same goes for most major US cities - am I being a bit paranoid?

Walessp
Yep, I have to second the person who responded to you on page 2 that you are paranoid. I still want to visit Paris and London myself, despite the few(and unfortunate) terrorist acts that've happened in both cities. You'd have to be stupid, to let the very low chance of terrorism deter you from visiting either city. And if anything, those past attacks mean that local police will be more on alert for any suspicious behavior they may notice.

And on a side note, have I let the attack on Nice, France, and also the one in Brussels deter me from my still strong hope that I get to visit both places someday? Heck no!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
I like your list... we did many of those destinations on our 2016 one yr long RTW, including Bruxelles (6x for air / rail connections) shortly after the bombing. That created added hassle / time and trouble; but not compromised safety. As mentioned above... there is a significantly increased police / military presence.

My 'senior' aged Aunt was in Paris during theatre attack, so...

Be aware, be diligent, have contingencies (and copies of itinerary and travel docs + add some travel insurance if on a expensive trip. Hopefully your 35 yrs of service gives you an option for medical insurance, mine dissolved that benefit, So I buy travel health insurance as well (1/10 the cost of A(?)CA)

We travel focused on being a 'local' rather than a tourist, so may be at more risk since we stay in communities / farms (usually rural) seldom use hotels, use local fresh markets for food, and use Public Transit, and often are alone.

We had a couple apprehensive moments (such as in Gulf of Oman and Gulf / Strait of Aden (Yemen)) and on west bank / Palestine.

Western Europe was quite comfortable and we didn't feel at risk. Ireland was not entirely comfortable, as there is always a degree of tension, and people are very short fused.

Portugal we encountered local gang fights in 3 cities, but we typically avoid cities, so most of 'rural' Portugal was great.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-30-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 07:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 627,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I wasn't trying to have a 'dig' at US cities but rather trying to show just how 'safe' European cities are. I believe statistically you are in greater danger in the US but that doesn't mean I think its a lawless hellhole there either! The point is worrying about coming to Europe is just paranoia. I believe also (for example) that the UK had more 'terrorist incidents' in the 70's and 80's than it does now (mostly IRA) yet it didn't seem to deter people from travelling to London back then. Don't get me started on the gun violence thing! Even taking away the suicides the amount of people shot to death in the US is astronomical, it wouldn't stop me visiting though.
I am not worrying about coming to Europe - on the contrary, see my list! What I want to know is what to avoid when I go to places on my list. Since you are from the UK, let's take London as an example. When I last went to London (in 1982, I think), everybody knew not to go to Brixton, but you could wander around Bloomsbury at 2 am without concern. What I want to know is: how is it now, did Brixton get gentrified and Bloomsbury criminal maybe?

Or for example, Blvd St Michel in Paris was safe and cool and all studenty in the 1970s. I have vaguely heard that, although it is still of course a student area, now it is remarkable mostly for Middle Eastern street food & knicknacks, and there has been a major increase in violent crime in the area, and one shouldn't really go there. Truth or lies?

I keep repeating this: I am not interested in starting yet another geo-political discussion about gun control or terrorism; I am just a senior senorita who wants some practical, specific advice on what to avoid in the places I listed - which streets, which neighborhoods, which arrondissements, which famous attractions may be actually unsafe to visit, because violent crimes happen there with some regularity, and if I go there I am likely to encounter someone who will say "Ma'am, please be quiet and give me all your money, or I'll cut your throat with this knife".

If somebody wanted to go to Boston MA and asked me what areas to visit vs. avoid, I would say that it is safe (a) in the Back Bay 24 hours a day (except in the city parks at night), (b) Beacon Hill, North End, South End down to Columbus Av, and Fenway during the day (don't wander alone though in the deserted areas in the Fens ever) (c) Charles St on Beacon Hill, and the area around Harvard Square in Cambridge, are generally safe day & night. Avoid pretty much everything else, and particularly avoid South End south of Columbus Av, do not set your foot in Dorchester, and no overwhelming reason to go to Mission Hill/Jamaica. Music clubs and restaurants on Lansdowne St and in Allston are okay, but get a cab from there to the hotel at night, don't walk. Now I have just said that the Back Bay is the safest area in Boston, and you are okay there any time of day and night - but if you were there for the 2013 Boston Marathon, you could have gotten killed by a terrorist bomb - so yes, a very dangerous thing can happen in the Back Bay once in 200 years, but it is safe at all other times. That is the type of info I am looking for regarding the cities I want to visit.

I already know all about European pickpockets and how to prevent their activities, but am talking about violent crime. Any specific areas where I absolutely should NOT go while visiting those places on my list?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:26 PM

26,592 posts, read 52,413,354 times
I doubt anyone can say conclusively...

For excluded countries and watch list... check the with State Department which updates often.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 AM

7,851 posts, read 6,669,725 times
Quote:
I am not worrying about coming to Europe - on the contrary, see my list! What I want to know is what to avoid when I go to places on my list. Since you are from the UK, let's take London as an example. When I last went to London (in 1982, I think), everybody knew not to go to Brixton, but you could wander around Bloomsbury at 2 am without concern. What I want to know is: how is it now, did Brixton get gentrified and Bloomsbury criminal maybe?

Or for example, Blvd St Michel in Paris was safe and cool and all studenty in the 1970s. I have vaguely heard that, although it is still of course a student area, now it is remarkable mostly for Middle Eastern street food & knicknacks, and there has been a major increase in violent crime in the area, and one shouldn't really go there. Truth or lies?

I keep repeating this: I am not interested in starting yet another geo-political discussion about gun control or terrorism; I am just a senior senorita who wants some practical, specific advice on what to avoid in the places I listed - which streets, which neighborhoods, which arrondissements, which famous attractions may be actually unsafe to visit, because violent crimes happen there with some regularity, and if I go there I am likely to encounter someone who will say "Ma'am, please be quiet and give me all your money, or I'll cut your throat with this knife".

If somebody wanted to go to Boston MA and asked me what areas to visit vs. avoid, I would say that it is safe (a) in the Back Bay 24 hours a day (except in the city parks at night), (b) Beacon Hill, North End, South End down to Columbus Av, and Fenway during the day (don't wander alone though in the deserted areas in the Fens ever) (c) Charles St on Beacon Hill, and the area around Harvard Square in Cambridge, are generally safe day & night. Avoid pretty much everything else, and particularly avoid South End south of Columbus Av, do not set your foot in Dorchester, and no overwhelming reason to go to Mission Hill/Jamaica. Music clubs and restaurants on Lansdowne St and in Allston are okay, but get a cab from there to the hotel at night, don't walk. Now I have just said that the Back Bay is the safest area in Boston, and you are okay there any time of day and night - but if you were there for the 2013 Boston Marathon, you could have gotten killed by a terrorist bomb - so yes, a very dangerous thing can happen in the Back Bay once in 200 years, but it is safe at all other times. That is the type of info I am looking for regarding the cities I want to visit.

I already know all about European pickpockets and how to prevent their activities, but am talking about violent crime. Any specific areas where I absolutely should NOT go while visiting those places on my list?
There is nowhere in London that is a 'no go' area, never has been, yes even Brixton, I've spent many a happy night out in Brixton, have done for years (though not so much recently to be honest) and never seen any problems, in fact I've seen more 'issues' in Slough (usually drunk teens) than I ever saw in Brixton. For a city of 8.5 million (or so) the amount of violent crime in London is very small. I don't know where in the US you reside but I suggest you simply approach European cities the same way you would approach US cities when you visit them, I've heard (but could just be scaremongering) that there are parts of US cities to be avoided that, as a tourist, you are unlikely to find yourself in anyway perhaps the closest equivalent (in London anyway) would be housing estates in the suburbs but even then millions of people go about their daily business with no problems, besides you are extremely unlikely to find yourself on a South London Estate during your travels.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
Quote:
I am not worrying about coming to Europe - on the contrary, see my list! What I want to know is what to avoid when I go to places on my list. ...
Oh... so you want specific addresses and places to avoid in all your lists of cities (simple )

check for crime maps.

I've Traveled internationally as a 'local' for 40 yrs. ~ 50% of the time each yr. Never robbed (yet), never checked a crime map (home or abroad). (lucky I guess) It helps that I am an axe murderer (30+ yrs working night shift)
We are too busy traveling to do your homework!

Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 AM

691 posts, read 287,947 times
Default reply

I have heard from friends there only Eastern Europe is now safe. Too bad the rest is a bloodbath with too many refugees. Could one get lucky, sure? But I would stick to Easter Euro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or