U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
My question was about avoiding areas infested with violent crime, not about avoiding terrorism, since one cannot avoid terrorists - their whole point is to strike where nobody expects it... although this today in New York is almost starting to fall into a pattern of similar jerks trying to commit similar makeshift death and destruction in the similar area near the WTC (there was another one, also from New Jersey, that planted bombs in the same area about a year ago).
Ok first of all, the accepted sorta politically correct theory is that the "disenfranchised" European pockets where the terrorists were originally being recruited from (or intentionally migrated "to" from the Middle East) are all pockets of unsafe neighborhoods where they were more or less born or "dumped" into poor, socially isolated and non-assimilated circumstances when they migrated to those cities. You're heard of "no go zones"?

So let's accept that theory that it's purely an economic social ~problem.

See: Brussels.

Talk about one in a billion! One of the murdered victims in NY was from Brussels. What are the odds?!

Your thread predictably veered off that generic topic of neighborhood safety, which you acknowledged in a prior post. And I wasn't responding to you but another poster upthread.

But you did say this, which opened the door to the subject.
Quote:
There is always one in a billion chance something can happen out in a crowd like this shooting in Las Vegas recently, but if you lock yourself in the bedroom for 30 years there is also one in a billion chance that you may have a house fire or get burglarized by Charles Manson.

These "similar jerks" are a specific group of people who are following the PRINTED Isis magazine and Isis' and Al Qaeda propagating that "truck and smaller methods" for a couple of years now.

Whether or not it has anything to do with an ongoing radical ideological caliphate is NOT relevant to your thread, I agree but it's ironic that this happened right in the middle of it. And we cannot claim that the NY Halloween incident had anything to do with the the European theory of neighborhood "disenfranchisement". Except for the fact that the perpetrator Sayfullo Saipov was a recent immigrant from Uzbekistan who left notes in the truck declared allegiance to the Islamic State caliphate. Especially considering our NY task force is the most skilled in the world which is why we had peace there for all these years. Uzbekistan is already KNOWN for this "problem".

Newsweek: WHERE IS UZBEKISTAN? WHY YOUNG MEN FROM THIS ASIAN COUNTRY KEEP THREATENING THE U.S. AND EUROPE

https://www.google.com/search?q=isis...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't see this pattern of extremist violence to be anywhere similar to Charles Manson or the Vegas shooter. YMMV.

Nevertheless, you should be able to statistically go to any of those places on your list without extensive problems. The question is why you want to go to each - and if you're going to limit your activities to doing that stuff versus wandering around aimlessly. And I assume you wouldn't be wandering into Molenbeek.

For example, as a Greek - I'd go to Athens to sightsee (not that I need to, just an example) but my years of visiting all the beautiful Greek islands are over...and my family neighborhoods of Athens/Piraeus have been forever changed and for now destroyed...with the migrant "crisis". Especially since my family was trying to operate a BUSINESS down in the ports. As if poor bankrupt Greece didn't have enough [economic] problems before. 30 years ago we only had to worry about pickpocket gypsies and the occasional trash can "bomb".

So while it's sad to me that Greece is not on your list, it's for the better.

Also ironic that these guys are all over the place here in Florida so the "one in a billion" theory is a good HOPE. Mohammed Atta lived WALKING DISTANCE from me in my very small city where he weaseled his way into our flight school. And the Orlando killer lived a couple miles from me in the other direction AND attended a mosque right up the street from me when he didn't go to his OWN in Port St Lucie.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-01-2017 at 03:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
Oh, I forgot:

Europe Travel Alert - US Embassy Brussels

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the continued threat of terrorist attacks throughout Europe. This travel alert expires on November 30, 2017.

Remember, it may be "one in a billion"- but the 7 degrees of separation still exists.

Geraldo Rivera's daughter was right in the soccer stadium when the explosions started 11-13-15.

Geraldo Rivera Breaks Down as He Talks About Daughter Simone Surviving Paris Terrorist Attack

At least three bombs were set off outside the soccer stadium, reportedly killing several people. Multiple mass shootings also occurred, with gunmen storming the Bataclan arts center, where the American band Eagles of Death Metal was among the bands performing. The concert attack killed at least 100 concertgoers, according to CNN. "I just thank god she was at the stadium and not at the rock concert," Rivera said

Old 11-01-2017, 03:52 AM

5,762 posts, read 4,181,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My tip would be to not follow the advice of paranoid people.
Unless you LIVE there, you have no idea what it's like. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:56 AM

5,967 posts, read 2,903,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Unless you LIVE there, you have no idea what it's like. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I don't doubt there is crime in whatever town your friend live in, but unless everyone else is carrying mace too then your friend is an outlier who is letting paranoia run her life. That's all fine and good for her, but it isn't how I'd choose to go about my days if I was visiting Germany.

BTW I'm currently living in Guatemala, which has a far worse reputation for violent crime (anecdotally and statistically) than anywhere in Germany. I take the obvious precautions, most of which are simple common sense, but own no cans of mace.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 AM

1,265 posts, read 2,153,303 times
Quote:
Blvd St Michel in Paris was safe and cool and all studenty in the 1970s. I have vaguely heard that, although it is still of course a student area, now it is remarkable mostly for Middle Eastern street food & knicknacks, and there has been a major increase in violent crime in the area, and one shouldn't really go there. Truth or lies?
It's quite the opposite that happened, the area has become a tourist trap full of French restaurants for tourists and that's why many locals avoid it.

Fun fact. In the 1950s, east side of Saint-Michel was an area with a large North african population.

Quote:
Thank you for the update. I know exactly the place you are talking about (the crossroads in the Quartier), and remember it vividly from about 40 years ago. It totally breaks my heart that some places have changed so much for the worse, and a certain way of life in Europe seems to be totally gone. Okay, I guess I'll just keep to the right side of the river when I go to Paris
The crime rate is higher in the right side of the river.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:23 PM

1,736 posts, read 620,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I donít think what elnrgby posted exhibts paranoia, though it might be outdated ó things have improved in some of the areas mentioned. The South End has definitely improved over the years even as far Washington St., though Iíd still recommend avoiding the area south of Massachusetts Ave. and east of the Orange Line. And some parts of Dorchester are actually pretty good these days such as Savin Hill and Lower Mills, though thereís no reason for a tourist to go there. Much of Cambridge is fine nowadays, though areas north of Inman Square, directly north of Central Square, and near the Alewife Stop on Rindge can be dicey, especially at night. The well populated business parts of Jamaica Plain (along the Bus 39 corridor) are fine especially during the day, though some parts of the neighborhood such as Jackson Square are definitely not good. Roxbury and Mattapan are still mostly unsafe and East Boston is very dicey, though tourists have no reason to go there.

I agree to avoid the city parks at night, especially late. The Fens can be okay during the day if a bit scruffy, but there are isolated parts of it that merit caution and the whole area is dicey at night. Mission Hill has improved marginally but isnít especially good either, though again thereís no reason for a tourist to go there. Landsdowne St. is fine during the day and often fine at night, at least until the bars close; there are usually people about, especially when thereís a Red Sox game. The waterfront part of South Boston is fine.

There are other parts of Boston of little interest for tourists that are generally okay (non-waterfront South Boston, West Roxbury) or at worst kind of student scruffy (Allston, Brighton).
This is much more detailed than what I said about Boston, but I think we are approximately in agreement. It would be great, though, if people could write up similarly detailed descriptions of EUROPEAN places that I listed (I called this thread "tourist safety in European cities" rather than "tourist safety in Boston" because I do not have an interest in traveling to Boston, considering that I live there ).

Old 11-01-2017, 06:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 620,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Ok first of all, the accepted sorta politically correct theory is that the "disenfranchised" European pockets where the terrorists were originally being recruited from (or intentionally migrated "to" from the Middle East) are all pockets of unsafe neighborhoods where they were more or less born or "dumped" into poor, socially isolated and non-assimilated circumstances when they migrated to those cities. You're heard of "no go zones"?

So let's accept that theory that it's purely an economic social ~problem.

See: Brussels.

Talk about one in a billion! One of the murdered victims in NY was from Brussels. What are the odds?!

Your thread predictably veered off that generic topic of neighborhood safety, which you acknowledged in a prior post. And I wasn't responding to you but another poster upthread.

But you did say this, which opened the door to the subject.

These "similar jerks" are a specific group of people who are following the PRINTED Isis magazine and Isis' and Al Qaeda propagating that "truck and smaller methods" for a couple of years now.

Whether or not it has anything to do with an ongoing radical ideological caliphate is NOT relevant to your thread, I agree but it's ironic that this happened right in the middle of it. And we cannot claim that the NY Halloween incident had anything to do with the the European theory of neighborhood "disenfranchisement". Except for the fact that the perpetrator Sayfullo Saipov was a recent immigrant from Uzbekistan who left notes in the truck declared allegiance to the Islamic State caliphate. Especially considering our NY task force is the most skilled in the world which is why we had peace there for all these years. Uzbekistan is already KNOWN for this "problem".

Newsweek: WHERE IS UZBEKISTAN? WHY YOUNG MEN FROM THIS ASIAN COUNTRY KEEP THREATENING THE U.S. AND EUROPE

https://www.google.com/search?q=isis...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't see this pattern of extremist violence to be anywhere similar to Charles Manson or the Vegas shooter. YMMV.

Nevertheless, you should be able to statistically go to any of those places on your list without extensive problems. The question is why you want to go to each - and if you're going to limit your activities to doing that stuff versus wandering around aimlessly. And I assume you wouldn't be wandering into Molenbeek.

For example, as a Greek - I'd go to Athens to sightsee (not that I need to, just an example) but my years of visiting all the beautiful Greek islands are over...and my family neighborhoods of Athens/Piraeus have been forever changed and for now destroyed...with the migrant "crisis". Especially since my family was trying to operate a BUSINESS down in the ports. As if poor bankrupt Greece didn't have enough [economic] problems before. 30 years ago we only had to worry about pickpocket gypsies and the occasional trash can "bomb".

So while it's sad to me that Greece is not on your list, it's for the better.

Also ironic that these guys are all over the place here in Florida so the "one in a billion" theory is a good HOPE. Mohammed Atta lived WALKING DISTANCE from me in my very small city where he weaseled his way into our flight school. And the Orlando killer lived a couple miles from me in the other direction AND attended a mosque right up the street from me when he didn't go to his OWN in Port St Lucie.
RunsWithScissors, sorry for the problems in Greece. It is not on my list because I have been there long time ago (Athens and the islands), and saw all I needed to see. While Greece is the cradle of European mind and is indeed fascinating to visit, there are other places too where I want to go.

Re being walking distance from terrorists, I saw the bombs going off at 2013 Boston Marathon. I was on the opposite side of Copley Square, so I thought it was just a part of the celebration (I was far enough that I did not see the carnage, just the explosions), but the police and the army appeared immediately and started directing people into the side streets. Rumors were circulating that there were more bombs in trashcans all over the Back Bay, they kept re-routing us around, and it took about four hours to get back home even though I live only four or five blocks from Boylston St where the marathon ends. You can't imagine the relief of finally getting home that evening and locking the door. Well, since I saw a terrorist bomb already, I keep hoping that it statistically diminishes probability of seeing another one...

Incidentally, Uzbekistan used to be on my global list of places to visit (along with other places along the Silk Road), but the Silk Road trip is the only one I crossed out due to political concerns.

Last edited by elnrgby; 11-01-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 PM

7,039 posts, read 7,000,939 times
We were in Paris for 5 days this September. Felt very safe. No problems at all. We stayed in a wonderful hotel in St. Germain des Pres.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I live in France and traveled extensively in the past year. Yes it is very safe, including cities like Marseille.
It's no less safer than Canada.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:05 AM

39,773 posts, read 3,006,691 times
How about where can tourists go in the USA & be safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or