U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times

Advertisements

Cathedral city. I would go to Salisbury and see Stonehenge too. It's not far. And you will get to see the thatched roofs of the Lake District area as well. You can catch the train in London. You take a cab or a tour out to Stonehenge. Ask any cabbie to give you a flat rate out and back. The cabs are usually cheaper than the tours and they come and go on your schedule. The cab will be cheaper for sure if there is more than 1 in your party!

I would go to any of the places on your list. If you want to be safe, be observant, not afraid. Don't dress/act like an American tourist. Don't wear expensive jewelry or flash a lot of money. Keep your bags closed and zipped up. I wear my backpack backwards in really crowded areas so it's harder to access the zippers. I keep my walking around money in my front pocket and other money/credit cards/passport in a wallet around my neck kept under my shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 609,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How about where can tourists go in the USA & be safe?
Sure. National parks in the US are all very amazing and safe (unless you try to play with baby bears in Yellowstone). Most cities in the US have very safe and very unsafe areas - which cities do you want to know about? But I am still hoping for more input re Europe (thanks much to everyone who contributed so far).

YellowSnow, I have been to Stonehenge long ago, in 1973. Very interesting, but filled with huge crowds of tourists, and actually I still remember that I paid the ticket with a large piece of paper money, and the ticket person short-changed me by something like 35 pounds (which in 1973 was a lot of money for a young girl), which I noticed only later when I was back in London!

Last edited by elnrgby; 11-03-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 04:04 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Sure. National parks in the US are all very amazing and safe (unless you try to play with baby bears in Yellowstone).
In national parks, one can get into an unsafe situation mostly by doing dumb things. Approaching most any wildlife (bears being just one example), straying off paths (or boardwalk areas in Yellowstone thermal areas), getting caught outside in a thunderstorm, and not staying hydrated in arid parks are all a terrible idea and can be life threatening.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,547,724 times
As long as you use common sense I would go wherever you want and not worry about it. But Iím also not paranoid and have been to Brussels after the bombing and Paris after the attacks with plans to return to them in a few months.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,631,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Cathedral city. I would go to Salisbury and see Stonehenge too. It's not far. And you will get to see the thatched roofs of the Lake District area as well. You can catch the train in London. You take a cab or a tour out to Stonehenge. Ask any cabbie to give you a flat rate out and back. The cabs are usually cheaper than the tours and they come and go on your schedule. The cab will be cheaper for sure if there is more than 1 in your party!

I would go to any of the places on your list. If you want to be safe, be observant, not afraid. Don't dress/act like an American tourist. Don't wear expensive jewelry or flash a lot of money. Keep your bags closed and zipped up. I wear my backpack backwards in really crowded areas so it's harder to access the zippers. I keep my walking around money in my front pocket and other money/credit cards/passport in a wallet around my neck kept under my shirt.
I can only speak for my neck of the woods but if I were you I would wear what you damn well like, believe me there are people dressed in all sorts of garb around here, nobody is going to bat an eyelid! Wear whatever jewellery you normally wear out and about, it is no LESS safe in Europe than anywhere in the US, in fact you will find statistically that its actually more safe. Try and not get paranoid. Also I wouldn't bother with Stonehenge, mystical yes, old yes, but ultimately a bunch of stones in a field.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We were in Paris for 5 days this September. Felt very safe. No problems at all. We stayed in a wonderful hotel in St. Germain des Pres.
PFLP activist and Islamic Revolution supporter Carlos the Jackal bombed the Drugstore Publicis on Saint-Germain-des-Pres, September 15, 1974. 35 victims.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:43 PM

14,248 posts, read 14,134,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

I think that you're getting the Lake District mixed up with somewhere else.

Don't take a cab to Stonehenge- there are buses, and I think that you may have to have a ticket in advance, especially at popular times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or