Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 PM

10,308 posts, read 13,840,434 times

Advertisements

Me again with another post on Africa. So the State Department has travel warnings for Kenya but I see tour operators are still working there. Has anyone been to Kenya recently? Was it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:27 PM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Me again with another post on Africa. So the State Department has travel warnings for Kenya but I see tour operators are still working there. Has anyone been to Kenya recently? Was it safe?
I'm not quite sure what one has to do with the other. Tour operators are not going to cease operations because the US State Department has posted travel warnings for their citizens.

Personally, I would heed the warning.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm not quite sure what one has to do with the other. Tour operators are not going to cease operations because the US State Department has posted travel warnings for their citizens.

Personally, I would heed the warning.
I know one thing has nothing to do with the other. However, generally speaking, most of the places that the State Department has travel warnings on don't have tour operators in them but Kenya does. So I'm curious if anyone has been there recently and can say if it is safe or unsafe.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I know one thing has nothing to do with the other. However, generally speaking, most of the places that the State Department has travel warnings on don't have tour operators in them but Kenya does. So I'm curious if anyone has been there recently and can say if it is safe or unsafe.
I don't believe the bolded is true.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,294,262 times
Yeah...if I were going to place my confidence, not to mention my health and safety, in the appropriate authority it's certainly not going to be with a for profit tour operator. Yes, I am going to go along with the warning/recommendation from the U.S. Department of State...I have family living in Central Africa and I would not go under any circumstances; but that's me.

Kenya Travel Warning
Last Updated: September 8, 2017

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens to avoid travel to the
border area between Somalia and Kenya because of threats by the terrorist
group al-Shabaab.*U.S. citizens should also be aware of potential terrorist
threats and the high risk of crime throughout the country.*
This replaces
the Travel Warning dated January 13, 2017.**

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Old 10-29-2017, 06:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,457,919 times
There is news of potential upheaval due to recent contested elections. I’d heed the warnings.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
Quote:
You're correct. There are State Dept warnings about lots of place that have tour operators including Israel, Indonesia, Jordan, Egypt, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, etc.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Quote:
Of course not.

The state department warning only represents views of the US government, how does it have ANYTHING to do with tour operators in other countries? It is not like once it is on this warning list, people from other countries all decide not to go. Most people in other countries don't care about state department of the US.

The warning list includes: Turkey, Iran, Mexico, Jordan (really??), Tunisia, Egypt, the Philippines. Do we honestly think no tour operators exist in those very popular countries?

Some people really think too highly of the influence of the state department.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 AM

I like how people seem to think that I think the State Department influences tour operators. I get it. It doesn't influence that. When I asked that I only was saying that because I know there are many places with travel warnings that DO NOT have tour operators in them. There are also places like Mexico with resort areas where people frequently visit. There is a travel warning to Mexico. If anyone cares to reread the original post, I did ask if anyone had actually BEEN to Kenya recently.

I will almost certainly heed the warning and not go. Normally I don't question those and I have posted that on here before. Kenya is a place I would like to see so I'm doing a little more research.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
I haven’t been recently, but I took a look at the State Department advisory.

It doesn’t say to not go to Kenya, so that shouldn’t be a deterrent.

I would stay away from the northern border, but if you are going to Kenya on safari you’d be in the south in the Maasai Mara anyway.

When I last went there was a riot going on in Nairobi yet I felt perfectly safe in my hotel. Take precautions and you should be fine.

This may give you some more info -

Kenyan ranch killing: is it safe to travel to Prince William's favourite wildlife reserve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel