U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:14 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times

Advertisements

Just don't book a ticket on Alitalia unless you have good travel insurance. They're back in bankruptcy again, and there's no clear picture yet on whether they will successfully restructure, be bought out by another carrier, or just go out of business entirely like Air Berlin recently did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
They are flights with large layovers (such as 14 hours in Stockholm, or 23 hours in Oslo). There are many tickets still under 700.00, just less convenient but that's not a big concern for me.
Have you looked into flying to another city like New York and getting a direct flight to Rome or another city in Italy? You may be able to save both money and time. Another option is flying to another European city and then taking a connecting flight on another carrier or possibly even taking a train to your final destination. One possibility is NYC to Milan, I usually find that it is one of the cheaper airports to fly into. You can then either hop on another flight or take a train to Rome.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:27 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Have you looked into flying to another city like New York and getting a direct flight to Rome or another city in Italy? You may be able to save both money and time. Another option is flying to another European city and then taking a connecting flight on another carrier or possibly even taking a train to your final destination. One possibility is NYC to Milan, I usually find that it is one of the cheaper airports to fly into. You can then either hop on another flight or take a train to Rome.
Just leave yourself a lot of time (my minimum would be 4-5 hours) to connect if you book multiple tickets like that because if there is a delay on that first flight you are not protected- according to the second airline if you miss that second flight, you were a no-show and the rest of the ticket is cancelled. The airlines does not have to rebook you for free and you may have to buy an expensive walk-up ticket to get to your final destination

Old 11-03-2017, 07:05 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Even when prices fluctuate, it's +/- $100 or so, that isn't a lot of money... cut back on some things until then and it's good
What they said^^^

Buy the ticket.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,665 times
Thats a decent price and unless your very flexible on your dates then I would book it. With very flexible dates and frequent checking you should be able to find some tickets for <$500. I watch airline fares alot. You can usually catch a European sale later this month or early Dec. Usually you can find the fares for around $450 from Chicago. If I had flexible dates I would watch for one of those and if nothing shows up by the end of the year I would book anything below $700 on a major airline. Sometimes you can catch a summer fare sale in feb-apr but your pushing your luck and there is a good chance you will pay over $1000 for those tickets if you don't find anything on sale.

There is actually a sale on now for ORD-FCO for around $500 on American but its only through Mar of next year.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,665 times
The oneworld airline alliance just put a big sale on from many US cities to several European destinations. But it's only through May of next year. I would bet you will be able to catch a similar sale for June within the next 6 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or