Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 06:23 PM

90 posts, read 156,575 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can speak to experiences in Belize? Exploring the idea of a trip this summer after kids graduate, but would have a 21, 18, and 9 yo. Worried about being able to find stuff for everyone to appreciate. Went to Costa Rica a few years back (without the youngest) and found things reasonably priced. What's it like in Belize? Any insights/recommendations greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,518,880 times
It can be a fun time, especially if into snorkeling/diving.

That said, there are problems with crime especially in Belize City and some of the inland places. Most tourists just go to the islands though, which are fairly safe except for some minor property crime. It's easy since they speak English, but can be surprisingly expensive depending on where you stay.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:57 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,217,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanap View Post
Wondering if anyone can speak to experiences in Belize? Exploring the idea of a trip this summer after kids graduate, but would have a 21, 18, and 9 yo. Worried about being able to find stuff for everyone to appreciate. Went to Costa Rica a few years back (without the youngest) and found things reasonably priced. What's it like in Belize? Any insights/recommendations greatly appreciated.
Yes, go to Belize(!) San Pedro/Ambergris is a great place to use as a home base. Very few stay in Belize City.

My fave experience was being one of five people over an entire afternoon exploring a lesser Mayan site nearby. By comparison, one had to deal with throngs of people to do this in Mexico. Nowhere near the same feeling.

Cheers

Old 10-14-2017, 10:13 AM

701 posts, read 1,423,858 times
Note that they don't call it the mosquito coast for nothing. If you're going to Ambergris, the mosquitos at night are positively oppressive. Never seen anything like it.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,926,076 times
yikes! four murders since 2012, I don't even feel safe from that carnage and possible collateral damage all the way up here in the states

Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM

316 posts, read 847,395 times
We really enjoyed it. It's low key and non touristy.

We stayed at a moderately priced motel on Ambergris. It may have changed hands because it doesn't appear on Google. It was on the south end and had a beach bar where we met a lot of locals.

Even the tour packages aren't touristy. We did a snorkeling tour and a jungle tour to the ruins. Again, we got a chance to talk to locals.

Every night we heard the Gypsy Kings wafting over waves as we went to sleep. We have good memories of Belize.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,518,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yikes! four murders since 2012, I don't even feel safe from that carnage and possible collateral damage all the way up here in the states
Stacking 'em like logs down there, I read they use tourist corpses to build bridges.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 AM

50,133 posts, read 63,553,972 times
A couple in my family sold everything and went to Belize to help run her mothers hotel. They didn’t last a year.

Their issues were lawlessness...just about everything they owned of value was stolen almost immediately, and lack of access to medical care.

I know folks have nice vacations there, but stay in a city, and don’t break a leg, or have a heart attack while you’re there.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
I wouldn't be too concerned about the crime if you are very careful, but I can say, for us; it was just not our thing. We haven't done a land trip, only stopped on cruises. We did not find the people particularly friendly, the island is not cheap like say, Costa Rico and it isn't particularly pretty. The one thing going for it: great snorkeling and diving. I can think of a lot of places we have visited that I would rather take my kids to. In fact, we are leaving on a cruise in a week, with a stop in Belize, after about 4 visits to the island, we are not going to even get off the ship. This is just my view, everyone has their own ideas of what works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel