U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:00 AM

12,291 posts, read 18,409,613 times

Advertisements

There is no mystery. I get into the Delta Sky Club Lounges all the time all over the worlds airports, and I've been through a handful of other VIP lounges. The best are pretty good - free food and good selection (relatively good that is), drinks both hard and soft, showers (although I've never used them), special ticketing attention, quiet and relaxing.

Then there are some that are, well - crying babies, nowhere to sit, people on cell phones talking loudly, rude flyers with bare feat on the couch, bad internet - that I have actually walked out on back to the peace and quiet of the general gate seating areas. Some literally seems like bus stations for homeless transients and are not exclusive at all. So it's very dependant on location. Some of the Atlanta SkyClubs are really crappy and overcrowded, others are good, the one in Sao Paulo totally stinks, The KLM club in Amsterdam (I think they have two) is always busy but very efficient and runs well, Beijing has a new SkyClub that is really good with great food, one had an outdoor porch-type area for seating that was really relaxing, might have been Narita/Tokyo, can't remember.

But even the worst has free adult beverages, that's a plus.

Last edited by Dd714; 10-31-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 11:16 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Absolutely worth the bother getting, I was really crushed when AA dropped the perk of admittance to Admirals Clubs for international flights to Gold level members, it was the main reason I worked for lifetime Gold!

Particularly for long Asia flights (24 hrs+)from US with 2-6 hr layovers in HKG or Tokyo they were a godsend with showers, free snacks, internet, bar, espresso bar sometimes, in a clean, quiet & very comfortable environment. When I get back to traveling regularly for leisure again I will absolutely compare various credit card club perks in this area as a main issue.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:57 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,171,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I had (planned) 23 hrs stopover in Istambul, I used the time to explore the city.

I didn't have 23 hours, and carrying the photo gear in addition to the baggage is not easy, and I need to minimize the film going through xrays.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 PM

12,291 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Absolutely worth the bother getting, I was really crushed when AA dropped the perk of admittance to Admirals Clubs for international flights to Gold level members, it was the main reason I worked for lifetime Gold!

Particularly for long Asia flights (24 hrs+)from US with 2-6 hr layovers in HKG or Tokyo they were a godsend with showers, free snacks, internet, bar, espresso bar sometimes, in a clean, quiet & very comfortable environment. When I get back to traveling regularly for leisure again I will absolutely compare various credit card club perks in this area as a main issue.
Interesting - Delta gives free admittance for Delta Gold Medallion and above, for international trips.
Like I said, not all the clubs where clean or quiet or comfortable. Also free internet is pretty much standard at all airports nowadays.

Not all clubs have showers, particulary within the US for any but the main hubs, and since the number of showers are limited and you have to put your name in a waiting list and, well, wait for one to be available, I would think it's impractical to consider for anything under a 4 hour layover.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Well it looks like at some airports the lounges can provide you with some top notch services. If you happen to live near one of these airports, you could copy what this man did and get these services for free.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:32 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
It really depends on the airport and the airline. Asia seems to do it better than we do. That being said, the breakfast bacon buns in the BA lounge at Heathrow are great.

It's as pointed out, a bit quieter, a lot more comfortable. Free food, free beverages. Often showers or nap-rooms. Anything really to make the gap between flights more comfortable.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:03 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,128,466 times
At a minimum, lounges provide plenty of power outlets, free WiFi, and snacks. Beyond that, they vary considerably, and some airlines operate a separate first class lounge as well as a business class lounge where anybody can buy access.

In my experience, the Asian and Scandinavian airlines have the best lounges, usually with self-serve beverages and usually fresh, hot food. Food and beverages are usually appropriate to the airline's home base nationality. For example, JAL lounges often have the Asahi Beer Automatic Draft beer dispenser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJo2N2iL-2c

Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 PM

769 posts, read 539,962 times
Going against the popular opinion here.

Lounges are overrated. Been to many from worst (United lounge in Chicago) to best (Lufthansa first class terminal).

I prefer a good restaurant in a good airport or a massage chair.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM

9,804 posts, read 5,008,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Going against the popular opinion here.

Lounges are overrated. Been to many from worst (United lounge in Chicago) to best (Lufthansa first class terminal).

I don't think it has to be an either/or situation. When I was in Narita, I went to the lounge, showered, used the wifi to notify family about the delay, and had a cocktail. Then because the food selection wasn't exciting me, I went out into the terminal and found a sushi restaurant and had a nice meal. Then I returned to the lounge for another cocktail and to kick my feet up for a while (seating is more comfortable than in the terminal)

Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
So do I. But I'm also cheap and will take a mediocre snack, cold beer and a non-massaging chair for free over a good restaurant and massaging chair that I have to pay out the butt for in an airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or