U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM

9,838 posts, read 5,041,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Lounges also have meeting rooms, workspace, functional WiFi, and power outlets galore. On a return flight for a business trip, I can expense the cost of 2 lounge passes if I have a customer with me, even though work wouldn't reimburse a single pass for myself.
This is a good point! Some airports are still woefully ill-equipped when it comes to power outlets. It's frustrating to be in a suit and sitting on the floor next to the only outlet at a gate, or crowded with 4 other people around a bank of outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 02:54 PM

11,744 posts, read 6,316,089 times
I've always wanted to use a lunge via my PriorityPass membership, but didn't want to travel a significant distance away from my terminal/gate to get there. That, or I didn't want to have to come to the airport significantly earlier prior to departure time as the lounge closed early.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,483 times
United lounge is pretty sub par but I use it for the shower, especially when in between 2 long flights. Having a hot shower does make a difference for me. But only select United Clubs have shower facility. The food is mostly snacks and alcohol is rarely free.

My favorite is Japan airlines' executive lounge in Narita. Not only it has shower rooms with brand name amenities, it also has quiet rooms with beds, and on-site massage. Singapore Airlines' lounge is also good but no massage.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,124,355 times
Some of the bigger train stations in Germany have lounges. You get access by buying a first class ticket on the ICE (and possibly IC) trains, which can only be a little more than a second class ticket. When we got in because of a Munich-Paris first ticket, what was included was light food and soft drinks/coffee/tea, free wifi, assorted periodicals in German (and maybe a token English language newspaper) and a really nice view of the train platforms. Also bathrooms you didn't have to share with the backpacking college kids.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 AM

3,370 posts, read 2,839,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think it has to be an either/or situation. When I was in Narita, I went to the lounge, showered, used the wifi to notify family about the delay, and had a cocktail. Then because the food selection wasn't exciting me, I went out into the terminal and found a sushi restaurant and had a nice meal. Then I returned to the lounge for another cocktail and to kick my feet up for a while (seating is more comfortable than in the terminal)
Sushi Kyotatsu? I love that place. When I transit through NRT, it's Kyotatsu first, window shopping second, SkyClub last (if there's time).

Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 AM

9,838 posts, read 5,041,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Sushi Kyotatsu? I love that place. When I transit through NRT, it's Kyotatsu first, window shopping second, SkyClub last (if there's time).
That's the one!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:17 AM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Just a note: There used to be 2 skyclubs in Narita. They closed one of them (or maybe renovating) as of a few months ago.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
I like the self serve beer taps. The food/snack options are usually hit or miss, but its better than nothing.

The best part is... it is quiet...

Old 11-02-2017, 01:25 PM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like the self serve beer taps. The food/snack options are usually hit or miss, but its better than nothing.

The best part is... it is quiet...
Not always, see my thread earlier about sometime literally leaving the overcrowded lounges for the quiet of the terminal outside the lounge.
Well, they used to be a quite oasis...and a few of the more exclusive ones perhaps still are, but the "bus station" attitude of general flying nowadays has permeated into the clubs as well. Crying children, rude passengers...you can't escape it even in the clubs.

You have really read up about it in FlyerTalk forum, such as the below thread titled "Delta Sky Club, Welcome to the Ghetto":
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...me-ghetto.html

Old 11-02-2017, 01:40 PM

18,871 posts, read 13,645,438 times
I have a Centurion lounge here in Houston and to me it makes the 550.00 credit card fee worth it with no other perks involved. It's not and secrete but it's a clean, quite place to relax before a flight. They have decent food, full bar, coffee etc. showers if you need them. The lounge at DFW also has complementary manicures and massages. I also have the priority pass and while their lounges are hit and miss it's still usually far quieter than the terminal and has some amenities. For me and those traveling with me it eliminates some stress, get to the airport early, grab a meal, some drinks and relax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or