U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 08:01 AM

2,554 posts, read 1,651,088 times

Advertisements

Cape town is far from Seychelles. You should combine Seychelles with Madagascar or Mauritius.

Seychelles resorts are not cheap. The luxury ones are as expensive as Bora Bora. You also don't have over water bungalows as in Bora Bora.

The beach in Seychelles are different than Bora Bora. Most are wild with big waves, not lagoon water.

The beaches in Bora Bora are more beautiful, imho ( especially at the high-end motu resorts).
Intercontinental Moana has similar price to Sofitel and you have free boat transfer to Intercontinental Thalasso ( which has amazing views). Bora Bora Pearl beach seems to have good views too.

There are a lot of things to do in Bora Bora. You can rent a scooter and drive around the island. You can rent the boat and drive around the lagoon. You can do shark feeding, snorkeling, jetskiing, kayaking, etc...

I am disappointed with the most famous beach in Seychelles, Anse Source d'Argent in La Digue. Beautiful but not as impressive as I expected. May be my expectation is too high from the pics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 AM

419 posts, read 208,389 times
We went to Morea and Bora Bora for our honeymoon ages ago and had a fabulous time. We did the hut on the water thing and all the typical activities like shark feeding and catamaran trips to picnic on the motu's but I do agree that it is more of a honeymoon/couple trip. We met several couples during our vacation.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 8,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Cape town is far from Seychelles. You should combine Seychelles with Madagascar or Mauritius.

Seychelles resorts are not cheap. The luxury ones are as expensive as Bora Bora. You also don't have over water bungalows as in Bora Bora.

The beach in Seychelles are different than Bora Bora. Most are wild with big waves, not lagoon water.

The beaches in Bora Bora are more beautiful, imho ( especially at the high-end motu resorts).
Intercontinental Moana has similar price to Sofitel and you have free boat transfer to Intercontinental Thalasso ( which has amazing views). Bora Bora Pearl beach seems to have good views too.

There are a lot of things to do in Bora Bora. You can rent a scooter and drive around the island. You can rent the boat and drive around the lagoon. You can do shark feeding, snorkeling, jetskiing, kayaking, etc...

I am disappointed with the most famous beach in Seychelles, Anse Source d'Argent in La Digue. Beautiful but not as impressive as I expected. May be my expectation is too high from the pics.
Iíve never been to Bora Bora, but I agree that the Seychelles are very expensive. We stayed at one of the luxe resorts there, and I found the water to be very very calm, so much so that small children were snorkeling in it. I currently have a photo of the beach at my desk top and people are shocked to learn itís not a stock image, but a photo I took myself on my iPhone!

Keep in mind that Bora Bora, the Seychelles, and the Maldives are all quite similar in that they are remote, expensive, and very luxurious. I think the true value of the Seychelles is that you can combine it with a safari, Cape Town, and/or wine. Iíve seen people combine B.B. with Australia, but that too is quite the trek.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:29 AM

13,905 posts, read 25,364,805 times
I have been to Tahiti several times and I do think Bora Bora is a honeymoon type destination. Have you considered Moorea? I actually like it better than Bora Bora. Much more to do there. And it's only about 8 miles by ferry from Papeete. Go on market day, Wednesday. All sorts of interesting people and things to see at the Marche Municipale.

Next, the ubiquitous OWB. If you have to stay in one, one night is enough. The prices are outrageous. The only way the price can possibly be justified is if you actually stay in the room. And they are the same fish you will see if you are out snorkeling. And who wants to spend time in a room??? Honestly, a big hotel chain is a big hotel chain. If you want to see a big hotel go to Chicago and save a lot of money. Why not stay at the Hotel Kaveka or the Moorea Pearl? Walking distance to Pao Pao or Maharepa, respectively. And every morning there is amazing fresh bread, butter worth eating, and pineapples tied together with raffia so you can sling them over your shoulder for the trek back to your room. Or there are lots of places on airbnb too. And if you are interested in taking the various tours, they stop at all the hotels, not just the big ones.

And BTW the worst snorkeling is at the big hotels. Tourists ruin reefs, that's just a fact. When you see areas of crystal clear beautiful turquoise water, that's not where the fish/animals are. The creatures are in the patchy darker areas. Look online at the pics of the Sofitel in Moorea and you will figure it out right away. If you can bring your own snorkel gear, great. If not, you should still bring dive gloves, a net bag you can put on your wrist, good water shoes best purchased at a dive shop with real soles, and a tiny bottle of Dawn(so your mask doesn't fog up). The sun is fierce. You need great sunscreen and I always snorkel in a t-shirt to keep my back from being seriously burned. And some zip lock bags. The fish love bread so take your leftovers out every day in a zip lock bag. In Hawaii, it's dog food and frozen peas but the fish in Tahiti like bread more!

Another thing you can research that's really off the beaten path is to take an extended trip on the Aremiti Ferry. It eventually goes everywhere in the islands.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:32 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,598,577 times
Still looking for an exotic beach vacation somewhere? The past week I've been getting emails about fares to SE Asia under $400! I believe it is mostly China Southern Air: Thailand, Malaysia & Vietnam... they are all cheap & they all have island/beach destinations & they all have bargain priced 4* resorts as well. I really wrestled with this one: Georgetown, Penang (not a beach) is on my must see list... so cheap now!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:22 PM

You don't have to limit your vacation in just Bora Bora. You can hope to other nearby islands that are just as beautiful (Moorea, Huahine, Tahaa, etc...). You can venture out to the Tuamotus islands. They are also very spectacular.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Still looking for an exotic beach vacation somewhere? The past week I've been getting emails about fares to SE Asia under $400! I believe it is mostly China Southern Air: Thailand, Malaysia & Vietnam... they are all cheap & they all have island/beach destinations & they all have bargain priced 4* resorts as well. I really wrestled with this one: Georgetown, Penang (not a beach) is on my must see list... so cheap now!
Good beaches but not in the same league as Bora Bora or Seychelles. May be El Nido in the Philippines is comparable.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:10 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,169,058 times
Bora Bora? I would say "Boring Boring" (and expensive!) Always better than Torah Borah though (an infamous cave in Afghanistan). So yes I would choose the Seychelles, thus I can bring home a Coco fesses!

Old 11-07-2017, 02:50 PM

597 posts, read 354,478 times
Have you thought of a freighter/cruise on the Aranui out of Tahiti? It looks quite interesting and gets you away from the honeymoon location issue.
I just loved Cape Town but you would want to go to some game parks if you went so far. Someone was posting about cheap flights. Borneo is wonderful, specifically Sabah. Lots of European travellers who spoke excellent English. When we were staying at a lodge on the river David Attenborough and his entourage came in for dinner one night.
We have just been to New Caledonia which is, like Tahiti, a French territory. I believe Tahiti is a little cheaper but New Caledonia is extremely expensive. There were a lot of Japanese honeymooners who keep to themselves. They speak much less English in New Caledonia than in France, English being for many, their third language. Not sure if Tahiti is the same. We have to fly there via New Zealand so it becomes a very long flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel