U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:29 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,255 times

Advertisements

I am considering a long distance trip in Feb 2019 - possibly up to two weeks off for my 40th.

Bora Bora has always been my #1 dream destination. However, I also cannot afford to stay at the most expensive resort there (Intercontinental?). I briefly looked at the Sofitel but wasn't impressed by the traveler photos on Tripadvisor (which tend to be the most accurate depiction of what a room/hotel/it's surrounding area will look like). And for the amount of money most bungalows charge over there I'd better be impressed.

Anywho, I was still planning on looking into Bora Bora as I'm sure it is an amazing place and so many people have called it one of the most beautiful places in the world. However, Seychelles recently popped up on my radar. One of the things I am a bit hesitant about with Bora Bora outside of price is the fact I'll be traveling along and it does seem kinda honeymoonish. I'm not too concerned about being lonely but I am a bit concerned about getting a tad 'bored' so to speak, and feeling like I might not get my money's worth just basking in the beauty of the area. (I know that may sound silly.) But maybe it'll be worth it--when I went to Kauai it sure was, and the beauty of the place certainly left a lasting impression on me that has the island calling my name to this day.

With Seychelles, I realized that I could split the trip and also go into Cape Town. I always love the idea of being able to mix beach/beauty with city life on a trip. At some point depending on the duration of a vacation I do tend to want both if possible. Con of doing Seychelles *and* CT is the long flight (part of me feels like maybe I should just stick to the beaches in Cape Town as some of them also look fairly impressive-I've just seen some really amazing photography and footage of Seychelles and feel if I travel that far I might as well go all the way there....)

Thoughts on doing one versus the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM

285 posts, read 296,131 times
Cape Town is one of, if not my favorite, city I've ever been to. That being said, I wouldn't go there for a "beach" vacation. The beaches are beautiful, but the water is cold; not a bad place to learn how to surf though, with a thick wetsuit of course.

Cape Town to the Seychelles, you'd need to look at flights. I'd assume it will take the better part of a day to get there, maybe with one connection? I did Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) with 1 connection to Cape Town, and it took probably half a day, with a very early start. But with 2 weeks to spend, it's doable.

I can't speak to Bora Bora, though I agree, it seems like more of a honeymoon destination. There are other places in the South Pacific you could look into as well that may be more "single" friendly. And for the record, I think the over water bungalows are a high-priced gimmick, but I'd still probably get one anyway if I was there.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Cape Town is one of, if not my favorite, city I've ever been to. That being said, I wouldn't go there for a "beach" vacation. The beaches are beautiful, but the water is cold; not a bad place to learn how to surf though, with a thick wetsuit of course.

Cape Town to the Seychelles, you'd need to look at flights. I'd assume it will take the better part of a day to get there, maybe with one connection? I did Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) with 1 connection to Cape Town, and it took probably half a day, with a very early start. But with 2 weeks to spend, it's doable.

I can't speak to Bora Bora, though I agree, it seems like more of a honeymoon destination. There are other places in the South Pacific you could look into as well that may be more "single" friendly. And for the record, I think the over water bungalows are a high-priced gimmick, but I'd still probably get one anyway if I was there.
Oh noooooo....I didn't know the water was cold in Cape Town beaches. That sucks. No way I want to fly that far and not go into the water.

What is it you like so much about Cape Town?

Last flight I looked at from CPT to Seychelles was like 8 hours one way (can't remember if there was a layover but I'm assuming there was). I am getting exhausted just thinking about the duration of travel honestly.

Totally agree RE: the bungalows in Bora Bora being kinda gimmicky although I would do them as well.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
What is it you like so much about Cape Town?
The combination of incredible outdoor and cultural activities, with beautiful scenery. Affordability is fantastic too. Wish it wasn't so far away. Reminds me of the California Bay Area in a lot of respects, but affordable, cleaner, and lack of awful traffic.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 PM

14 posts, read 8,005 times
Agreed that Cape Town is very similar to San Fran. Absolutely beautiful city and had a great time when I visited. Shame it’s so far.

The Seychelles are a hike from CT. You’ll likely have to fly through Joberg and there are only so many Joberg to Mahe (Seychelles) flights every day. It’s about 5 hours.

That said, the Seychelles are truly stunning. I’ve been told it’s the Bora Bora for Europeans and folks from the ME. When I visited, it was almost exclusively honeymooners and I had a fantastic time.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:53 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
Oh noooooo....I didn't know the water was cold in Cape Town beaches. That sucks. No way I want to fly that far and not go into the water.

For someone used to bathing in cold water (Brittany and Normandy), it's not that cold, just the average in the French Atlantic/Channel. So yes I did go for a (rapid I confess) swim in CPT, but make sure you go there in summer , though.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Andrews View Post
Agreed that Cape Town is very similar to San Fran. Absolutely beautiful city and had a great time when I visited. Shame itís so far.

The Seychelles are a hike from CT. Youíll likely have to fly through Joberg and there are only so many Joberg to Mahe (Seychelles) flights every day. Itís about 5 hours.

That said, the Seychelles are truly stunning. Iíve been told itís the Bora Bora for Europeans and folks from the ME. When I visited, it was almost exclusively honeymooners and I had a fantastic time.

I also thought about making the trip a Seychelles>Joberg>CT trip....

Thoughts?

Seems like the drop down gorgeous beachy places I'd like are probably going to be honeymoon destinations. Nothing wrong with that I guess. As mentioned in my original post I was moreso concerned with being in a honeymoon destination and getting bored at some point...

Old 11-03-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

For someone used to bathing in cold water (Brittany and Normandy), it's not that cold, just the average in the French Atlantic/Channel. So yes I did go for a (rapid I confess) swim in CPT, but make sure you go there in summer , though.
My birthday is early February...I thought that was their summer.....

Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
My birthday is early February...I thought that was their summer.....
It is. Water temps might be in the mid 60s. That's cold! But I live in Tampa, and I don't like swimming except in the heat of summer with bath water temps.

I did go Great White cage diving when I was there in February and had a 7 mm hooded wetsuit on, which made it manageable.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 PM

14 posts, read 8,005 times
Quote:
I also thought about making the trip a Seychelles>Joberg>CT trip....

Thoughts?

Seems like the drop down gorgeous beachy places I'd like are probably going to be honeymoon destinations. Nothing wrong with that I guess. As mentioned in my original post I was moreso concerned with being in a honeymoon destination and getting bored at some point...
That itinerary sounds great! Youíd likely fly through Dubai to get to Mahe.

There are tons of excursions too. You can see the giant tortoises, visit the spice market in Victoria. I wouldnít worry about getting bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel