U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 AM

370 posts, read 435,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Some businesspeople have multiple passports because some countries will hold onto a passport for 2-4 weeks when you apply for a business visa and the second passport lets you leave the country while passport #1 is sitting in the mailroom of the Somethingstan consulate. The US government is perfectly okay with this as long as you can explain and document the need for the back-up passport
This...if you travel every couple of weeks there is no time for visa processing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:13 AM

30,082 posts, read 47,327,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Some businesspeople have multiple passports because some countries will hold onto a passport for 2-4 weeks when you apply for a business visa and the second passport lets you leave the country while passport #1 is sitting in the mailroom of the Somethingstan consulate. The US government is perfectly okay with this as long as you can explain and document the need for the back-up passport
Do you really think Manafort was applying for a "business visa" when he was doing all this travel?
That seems too "up front" and obvious for someone with his connections in the business he was in...
He wasn't trying to import/export electronic components or clothing or build a mfg plant---
He was about connections, moving/hiding money, and political campaigns--propaganda, paying off officials, etc

To me, having three passports--even in his name/not alias--with separate registration numbers just makes it more difficult to track his travel--to see easily where he went and when--

It is like someone taking measures to obscure their trail from anyone who might be interested in knowing what you were doing and when
And I am sure there were people who would have wanted to know that about Manafort even before this current difficulty
He was a big player in a fairly small pool of lobbyists--an elite--
Look at his clients--
He swam with big fish in a global pool----

Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,557 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Do you really think Manafort was applying for a "business visa" when he was doing all this travel?
He was about connections, moving/hiding money, and political campaigns--propaganda, paying off officials, etc

He was a big player in a fairly small pool of lobbyists--an elite--
Look at his clients--
He swam with big fish in a global pool----
It is a very good idea to have multiple passports and identity and countries when you are in his type of business...

He is WANTED by more then the officials... the other crowd does not play so nice (they provide cement shoes rather than 5* prisons)

He was just doing his due diligence to have multiple ID's. (Standard business practice for his choice of careers) And, of course he had the money to do it... seems there is about $50m missing.. that went somewhere? Multiple ID's... they are CHEAP insurance.

Most of us do not successfully operate in this realm... (for long)

Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Personally I dont think Manafort will crack because Putin kills people who threaten/betray him
Trump is not the threat--Putin and his henchmen are
Swim with sharks--fall prey to sharks
Bobby Three Sticks is scary but he won't have you killed...

Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM

4,126 posts, read 3,781,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are reading that Paul Manafort has three passports. I don't know if he them under different names. Why would someone who travels a lot have tgree? How could just one person even obtain three passports in the US?

Seasoned travelers, any thoughts?
Sometimes one needs them to travel to certain countries. For instance, many Arab and Muslim countries will not admit anyone who has an Israeli stamp in their passport. So if someone needs to travel to those countries, the State Dep't will issue them a second passport, restricted to use when entering/exiting Israel, and they can use the other passport to travel to countries that impose this restriction.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM

779 posts, read 520,101 times
I hold 4 passports.

Canadian by birth. UK via my Mother ( born in London ) The Bahamas through my Wife ( born in Nassau ) and The Republic of Ireland through my Father.

XXXX,

Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 AM

Manafort--as far as reported--has only US passports under his name with different registration numbers
Have not heard he has any from another country
Might be difficult to know if he as any under an alias especially from a foreign country
Would almost have to catch him in the act of using it

Old 11-02-2017, 06:05 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,637,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Cuba doesn't stamp passports. They issue a tourist visa on a slip of paper, and take it on your departure.
Need to look at mine, I was there in March and swore they stamped it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 634,802 times
Kind of on this subject, just off on a slight tangent.
My elder son married a German girl, lived there for a long time, and became a dual citizen of U.K. and Germany.
Some 6 or 7 years back, they decided to migrate to Australia, after 4 years there, he became an Aussie citizen.
Not long after, his wife decided that she missed her mother, and Der Vaterland too much, and she went back to Germany, taking their two kids.
He struggled with deciding whether or not to stay on his own, but within six months realised that he missed his wife, and in particular, his two boys, so he sold his house and car, and planned his return to Germany.
Arriving in Frankfurt on an overnight from Brisbane via Bangkok, physically drained, he produced his Australian passport at immigration, rather than his U.K. or German one, both of which he had with him.
As he prepared to doze off on the train from Frankfurt to his home in Bielefeld, he looked at the passport, and noticed that German Immigration had given him a 6 month stay, as an Australian tourist!
He had to jump through all kinds of hoops to stop the authorities from maybe deporting him back to Australia six months after getting home.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Need to look at mine, I was there in March and swore they stamped it.
They probably did. I know that mine was stamped when I went last year. Before travel restrictions were lifted, they would only stamp the visa but not the book. I'm mildly irritated that my passport was stamped because the ink was pretty wet so it transferred a little on the opposite page and space in my book is starting to become precious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or