U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM

21,868 posts, read 14,377,315 times

Advertisements

We are reading that Paul Manafort has three passports. I don't know if he them under different names. Why would someone who travels a lot have tgree? How could just one person even obtain three passports in the US?

Seasoned travelers, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 2,301,126 times
Well, his passport might be full.

For example, we're traveling to South Africa. To enter that country, we have to have two blank facing pages in our passports. If you travel overseas a lot, that quickly becomes an issue.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
You could have multiple passports for different countries if you're a dual citizen. The US allows a second passport as sometimes you may have to travel while you've sent your passport in for a country's visa.

Also, if you travel around the mid-east at all, you'll likely have/need two passports, as you can't get into most Arab countries (Egypt, Saudi, Kuwait, Emirates etc.) if you have an Israeli passport stamp. So you'd have a passport for use to Israel, and a passport to everywhere else.

Thirdly, he may have a diplomatic passport due to his previous roles, but that seems unlikely.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Sure, it is a GREAT idea to have multiple passports and most my colleagues have them. (Foreign nationals / dual citizenship, PP (permanent resident) for a foreign country. )

I would be VERY pleased (and healthy) to have a Canadian, NZ and Singapore passport. (German passport was 'king' until recently)

The USA passports lost a few rankings this yrs (now down to tier 7 IIRC)

My USA Passport + Global Entry + Enhanced (RFID) DL + Nexus + Port Clearances is quite restrictive.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,291,302 times
Two I can think of

1. Americans are terrorism targets, if you can pull out another passport you might be passed over.

2. Many countries have shorter lines at immigration for their own citizens.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
If you can get dual citizenship with a European country you can cross borders freely in all the EU countries rather than stopping at customs lines, etc.. Also it would be easier to establish residency there for business or say retirement.

Also one can go to countries that may be restricted in some way, Israel from Arab countries, Cuba from US (this changed but I'm not sure of the current status now).

Characters like Manafort work abroad & want to hide/launder international earnings in tax havens & foreign investments & these are probably easier with some passports rather than US but still illegal in US.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:58 PM

33,893 posts, read 42,123,479 times
My name is Bond, James Bond.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
If you can get dual citizenship with a European country you can cross borders freely in all the EU countries rather than stopping at customs lines, etc.. Also it would be easier to establish residency there for business or say retirement.

Also one can go to countries that may be restricted in some way, Israel from Arab countries, Cuba from US (this changed but I'm not sure of the current status now).

Characters like Manafort work abroad & want to hide/launder international earnings in tax havens & foreign investments & these are probably easier with some passports rather than US but still illegal in US.
Cuba doesn't stamp passports. They issue a tourist visa on a slip of paper, and take it on your departure.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:21 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Also, if you travel around the mid-east at all, you'll likely have/need two passports, as you can't get into most Arab countries (Egypt, Saudi, Kuwait, Emirates etc.) if you have an Israeli passport stamp. So you'd have a passport for use to Israel, and a passport to everywhere else. .

I knew international businessmen that had two passports specifically for this.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:47 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are reading that Paul Manafort has three passports. I don't know if he them under different names. Why would someone who travels a lot have tgree? How could just one person even obtain three passports in the US?

Seasoned travelers, any thoughts?
I assume it's under one name. Its more common than you think to have multiple passports from different countries. I know a bunch of people with passports from two countries and sometimes three. It makes employment and travel easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or