U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 03:20 PM

7,279 posts, read 12,726,961 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! A couple of weeks ago I posted about going to the UK with my students in May 2019 (yeah, a little over a year and a half from now! ) -- I wanted suggestions for other places to go while in Europe. (That thread is here: help me plan a multi-country trip to Europe .)

Well, today I found out that I have been chosen to go to a week-long seminar in Paris (as in, FRANCE, lol, not Paris Michigan or something) in July 2018 -- about 8 months from now. Needless to say I am very excited, although I would love to be going in May instead (can't have everything!). So I am now trying to plan for a week or two before/after that trip to visit OTHER places. My employer will likely pay for me to go to the UK for a few days to "scout out" some places for our trip in May 2019, but other than that, it's wherever I want to go.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,718 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all! A couple of weeks ago I posted about going to the UK with my students in May 2019 (yeah, a little over a year and a half from now! ) -- I wanted suggestions for other places to go while in Europe. (That thread is here: help me plan a multi-country trip to Europe .)

Well, today I found out that I have been chosen to go to a week-long seminar in Paris (as in, FRANCE, lol, not Paris Michigan or something) in July 2018 -- about 8 months from now. Needless to say I am very excited, although I would love to be going in May instead (can't have everything!). So I am now trying to plan for a week or two before/after that trip to visit OTHER places. My employer will likely pay for me to go to the UK for a few days to "scout out" some places for our trip in May 2019, but other than that, it's wherever I want to go.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
What age of students?

Our kids (age 10 and 12 at the time) really appreciated / enjoyed / learned from the Normandy Coast and Belgium stops we made on our France stay.

UK is great too, but really is a trip of it's own (including Wales (our favorite) and Scotland and Republic of Ireland. )

There is a LOT of great stuff / history / sights / events in France. SW and Southern France is my favorite, but Normandy was most impressive (getting to know the locals / war stories of residents). SE France is spectacular too! (Mediterranean coast). Oh... and the French Alps!, and Lac Leman

i.e. make it a RICH experience with fond opportunities for memories (locals) rather than fitting in too much!

My 6 week HS trip to Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Hungary was a very important and appreciated opportunity in my life. (many decades ago) Appreciated more NOW than then, but... there are ways to correct that for your students!

Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM

7,279 posts, read 12,726,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What age of students?
SR, my students (college students) are going on my trip to the UK in May 2019 -- I will be going to Paris by myself (or with a friend or my SO if we can manage it!) in July 2018!

Quote:
Our kids (age 10 and 12 at the time) really appreciated / enjoyed / learned from the Normandy Coast and Belgium stops we made on our France stay.
I am very tempted to do just France, Belgium, and the UK in my 2018 trip. PJSinger posted in my other thread about how much she enjoyed Belgium, and it looks like it would be VERY easy to do from France, so I think I am going to add that to my list.

Quote:
UK is great too, but really is a trip of it's own (including Wales (our favorite) and Scotland and Republic of Ireland. )
I have relatives in the UK and I am a dual citizen -- it's an automatic bestowal once I submit the paperwork. I hope to have my citizenship ceremony in either summer 2018 or May 2019 when I go with my students. There is a LOT that I want to do in the UK besides taking my students!

Quote:
There is a LOT of great stuff / history / sights / events in France. SW and Southern France is my favorite, but Normandy was most impressive (getting to know the locals / war stories of residents). SE France is spectacular too! (Mediterranean coast). Oh... and the French Alps!, and Lac Leman
These are the kinds of suggestions I'd like for France! I suppose I could do a whole week in Paris but my work trip will include sight-seeing (really! it's for work! ) so I'd like to explore a couple of other places if I could.

So maybe for this summer 2018 trip I will try for 1 week for my work assignment in Paris, then several days to a week in other places in France, then several days to a week in Belgium, then a week or so in the UK (again, work-related). Or I may start out in the UK, depending on flights. I could do most of the trip in June, which I'd prefer over July, as long as I have good Internet!

Anyone else? Pretty please?

Old 11-04-2017, 12:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,718 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Don't miss the 'self guided tour' of Paris Catacombs! That should have some influence on your 'medical' career bound students! Tho most students have their' ideals' established by age 12 - 13...

You will have good internet as long as you are out of USA (friends just returned from UK with my international multi SIM phone (they had great coverage using '3', best total coverage in UK. Vodaphone is miserable), Rural Northern UK used the USA 1930's model of REA to run fiber. while In rural USA we are still on occasionally available 'dial-up' service (DONG - DONG. beep -beep)

There is a lot to do in Belgium, as it was the 'battle front' several times for multiple wars. Learning about the 'resistance' (from families) and the many secret shelters / escape routes and cultural exchanges (Dutch Belgium's and French Belgium's) from locals is interesting Biking / canal travel is a great way to meet locals (we were always offered free bikes from our hosts), the many dairy farms that make and sell their own Ice Cream is a nice way to travel! (+home brew beer pubs). We stayed with locals (Servas.org was established in 1947 to reunite the citizens of warring countries.... hosting is FREE worldwide) We only stayed in 8 hotels during our 1 yr RTW, and have had thousands of international stays for under $20 / night (8 in the last 10 days (including NH )). Never used couchsurfing... been doing this method of travel for 30+ yrs. Many hosts are teachers / profs / librarians / farmers... great learnings.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Old 11-04-2017, 03:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 485,042 times
Two close-by and easy day trips from Paris I definitely recommend are Versailles and Chartres, the former for its wonderful palace, the latter for its unparalleled cathedral. Both can be reached via commuter rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or