U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:48 AM

11,710 posts, read 6,293,874 times

Advertisements

Apart from shopping around as a general matter, I recommend that people try to find discount codes. Believe it or not, there are plenty floating around the internet. I was able to locate one for AVIS for an upcoming week long visit to NYC, saving me about $100 for a F-150 pickup type (believe it or not, this was the cheapest car type available). And for an airport pickup/dropoff at that!

Prior to finding this code, I had searched on Priceline.com, the rental company website, Expedia.com, and even on the AMEX website (they have a "Platinum Card" section for cardholders seeking to travel and I have found some good deals there in the past. For this rental, though, they were charging $400 more than everywhere else I found for the week).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 PM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Rental car pricing is like graduate level revenue management policy and we also recheck multiple times with multiple different codes before a trip.

Just like the airlines and hotels, rental car companies have their loyalty programs as well. I've got some sort of intermediate Hertz status because of IHG hotel status, and between the bonus for that and a fall promotion, a recent one week rental gave use enough points for a 'free' (you still pay taxes and fees) one day rental already.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:04 PM

11,710 posts, read 6,293,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Rental car pricing is like graduate level revenue management policy and we also recheck multiple times with multiple different codes before a trip.

Just like the airlines and hotels, rental car companies have their loyalty programs as well. I've got some sort of intermediate Hertz status because of IHG hotel status, and between the bonus for that and a fall promotion, a recent one week rental gave use enough points for a 'free' (you still pay taxes and fees) one day rental already.
True. And I'll definitely continue to check back for rates. For my particular deal, I pre-paid to get an even better rate. Now, I can still get out of my pre-paid deal, but would forfeit $50 for doing so; thus, any new deal would have to be significantly better for me to make such a decision. Also, giving that I'm traveling during the Thanksgiving holiday period, I only see prices increasing and availability quickly decreasing.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
yes... it takes some shopping to consistently get good deals on rental cars, AND you may not always WIN!

I usually try to get $9.95 Enterprise cars, (As they will deliver to your home for no extra fee, if reasonably close)

Also I run my selections through my priority clubs and also Costco.

Sometimes I win,,, Sometimes THEY win.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM

10,973 posts, read 10,200,364 times
I find that the AAA discount is usually pretty good. I saved over $100 for the week on a rental here in Aruba, and have saved a lot in other places in the past.

The only thing is when you are renting in a foreign country, they often tack on all kinds of things. I ended up paying the insurance for an extra $33 a day, and even with that, there is a $1000 deductible.

I usually don’t buy the insurance because my credit card covers rental insurance, but they told me that in Aruba, that is not honored and that I would have to pay for any damage up front and try to collect from my credit card company afterwards.

Also, I’m a Hertz gold member, which usually comes with upgrades and other perks. Aruba doesn’t honor gold membership either.

Usually when I come to Aruba, I just take taxis, but they are on Carribean time, so you are often waiting around for them. I figured this would be a lot more convenient. On our next trip here, I’m going back to taxis.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:13 PM

13,044 posts, read 15,400,418 times
The best I have found are through Costco Travel.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 PM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
For those with an American Express card, their Premium Car Rental insurance option gets very high remarks:

https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do

It's a flat rate per rental instead of per day ($15 for Florida residents, $12-$24 per rental for other states and options) that is good pretty much anywhere in the world you'd want to rent a car except for Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand, and yes, that includes Aruba. It also covers the dread 'loss of use' the rental car company attempts to charge if a repair claim is made on a vehicle.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
I've used autoslash for the past 2 years and find it to be the best singular improvement to my travel planning ever since I started booking frequent travel in 2009. I imagine it has some holes and you can occasionally do better on your own, but most of the time it's gotten me what I believe is the best price and with far less hassles which is truly the best benefit of it all.

You go on the site, you plug in your search parameters, and autoslash will search through all OTAs and coupon codes to find you the best deal. If you have AAA, Costco, etc then you can add that to the search details. Then a couple of times a day it will research your parameters and if it finds a better deal it will alert you and, when possible, rebook you if the price drops. I've found it's most common best prices are using coupon codes and then booking through Priceline.

Since rental car searches contain so many variables (car class, flexible dates, flexible pick up and drop off locations) it has some limiting factors to its autonomous-ness (i.e., you will still need to do some user control if you're being really diligent) but overall it's extremely useful.

When I have my dates set and a simple airport pickup with same drop off, and I can pop it into autoslash 3 months in advance, then I have come to expect super low prices lol.

Notes: I book about 1-2 rentals a month, I sometimes check Priceline NYOP as autoslash is pretty much only for pay at the counter pricing, and I have only rented in NA.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM

2,249 posts, read 5,980,033 times
I've used hotwire a bunch and have gotten some very favorable rates. I check back regularly, rebook and cancel when the prices went down. I've gotten 5 days with taxes up for about $80

Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,705,617 times
i always use priceline.com .. I do that name your price page and start low . Keep increasing by 1 dollar until they accept your offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or