U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:39 PM

12,315 posts, read 18,429,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I do not know the answer to your question, but:
A Dr.Phil show just featured a man scammed by a non-existant woman he met online. She told him she was stranded in South Africa with her daughter and they were holding them in jail and she needed bail money. He ended up being bilked for about $200 grand.
Dr. Phil addressed the passport expiration issue and based on what was said on the show I think if you contact the State Department they can extend the passports.
"For much less than $200,000"
Extend the passport? Was that part of the scam?
The US does not "extend" passports, a passport is renewed by submitted your old passport, the old passport is invalidated and a new one issued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 03:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,238,432 times
there are passport expedition services that can get a new passport much quicker. I had to use one for work about 8 years ago and they were able to get my passport renewed in 48 hours. You do have to pay a premium for it and I'm not sure if anything has changed since then that makes it more difficult.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:02 PM

38,071 posts, read 55,850,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Unless your looking at a particular airline/flight on specific days I doubt there is any danger of them selling out. Where is that info coming from.

Prices fluctuate even day to day. I would bet you can find sales through Feb or even Mar for a May travel date. Of course the sooner you catch a sale the more flexible your travel dates will be. You can routinely catch these sales at least once a month for popular departure cities such as Chicago. Sometimes even several times a month.

At any rate you should call the airline and ask them. Some airlines are more strict on such policies.
This! Why book now? (except you found a hard to beat price). I never book a trip more than 4-6 weeks before actual travel. Everything can happen till May 2018...
Booking with expired passport isn't a problem.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:27 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,105,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
IMO, A lot of countries follow a 6-month rule . So if you are traveling and your passport expires in 6 months or less. They will not let you travel. It just happened to someone I know a couple weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The country doesn't know or care that you are booking a flight, they just won't let you in if you happen to arrive...and you won't arrive because the airlines won't let you board the plane.

OP as I understand it some airlines will ask for passport information when you book online but they really don't do anything with it until a couple days before when they provide the APIS to the government. If you don't have that information you can provide it at the airport at departure when checking in and probably go through a bit more screening (of course, they won't let you into the gate area unless you have this information).
In summary - you can book now even without a current passport.

These two bring up points that are MASSIVELY important. Basically the same point, but.. Make sure you have a valid passport that is valid for at least 6 months past your TRIP ENDING date. If you have a ticket set to return on June 25th, your passport had better be valid until December 25.

The airlines won't let you board because if they fly you somewhere and you're rejected, they have to return you to your origin, on their dime.. So, the airlines will often be overly cautious with this.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM

38,071 posts, read 55,850,828 times
^^^ OP's friend is applying for new passport. US passports are valid for 10 years...
She will FLY with new passport. The question was about BOOKING a trip with a passport that is about to expire.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:18 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Extend the passport? Was that part of the scam?
The US does not "extend" passports, a passport is renewed by submitted your old passport, the old passport is invalidated and a new one issued.
True American passports cannot be extended but there are other countries that do extend passports.

As to the matter at hand, I have booked two different international flights when my U.S. passport had less than 6 months validity on it. In one case, when I arrived at the origin airport, they asked to see a current passport that had more than 6 months validity and the other case the country destination didn't require a 6 month validity period.

Also last year when I renewed by U.S. passport, it took less than 3 weeks for me to receive the new one (and I did not use expedited service).

Old 11-08-2017, 02:30 PM

40,251 posts, read 15,198,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ OP's friend is applying for new passport. US passports are valid for 10 years...
She will FLY with new passport. The question was about BOOKING a trip with a passport that is about to expire.
^^ Exactly. Thanks, everyone, for your input. We are going to book this weekend when the three of us can get together. There are some very good deals right now with the airlines we're most interested in.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 AM

22,724 posts, read 28,783,807 times
You can book while the passport is still valid but they won't let you board when you get there if you haven't renewed the passport.

The last time I flew overseas I had to show my passport every time I turned around. 3 stops total on the trip and i had to show my passoort nearly 2 dozen times.

One leg of the flight was on a foreign carrier and I had to give my passport number in order to book the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or