Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:48 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

I will contact the airline when I get a chance, but thought I'd ask this question here in the meantime. Has anyone here ever booked an international flight when your passport will expire before your travel date? Two friends and I are in the process of planning a London vacation in May 2018. We've decided which flights we want to book and are anxious to book asap because seats are selling out fast and prices on some have risen a bit just since last week.

One friend's passport will expire before our travel date and she will be renewing it soon. She didn't realize the airline would require passport info when we book the flights. She's away from home on business this week and doesn't have her passport with her. I suspect that it will take at least 30 days for her to receive the renewed passport once she gets around to applying for it. Does anyone here know whether the airline will allow us to book the flights using her passport info which will expire soon?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Fwiw, our most recent trip out of US this past August was booked by our agent/friend, while both of our PPs had very short dating on them; they would have expired before our actual flight date.

We renewed before the trip obviously, but the flights were booked under old/about to expire PPs.

Some airlines may be more ticklish than others, but IIRC a valid passport at booking time should not impede your friend's ability to nail down the flight.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I've never had one require it when booking, its usually where you have to enter it before you leave, though.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:25 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Some airlines request passport information when booking, but it's not required information. You can leave it blank if you want. Or you can use still valid, but soon-to-expire information.

You just have to have a valid passport (often with 6+ months left before expiring) at the time that you travel internationally.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:07 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Excellent. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, folks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
IMO, A lot of countries follow a 6-month rule . So if you are traveling and your passport expires in 6 months or less. They will not let you travel. It just happened to someone I know a couple weeks ago.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:15 PM

285 posts, read 385,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I've never had one require it when booking, its usually where you have to enter it before you leave, though.
Same here. I feel I've done it in the past at time of booking, but not recently.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Unless your looking at a particular airline/flight on specific days I doubt there is any danger of them selling out. Where is that info coming from.

Prices fluctuate even day to day. I would bet you can find sales through Feb or even Mar for a May travel date. Of course the sooner you catch a sale the more flexible your travel dates will be. You can routinely catch these sales at least once a month for popular departure cities such as Chicago. Sometimes even several times a month.

At any rate you should call the airline and ask them. Some airlines are more strict on such policies.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
IMO, A lot of countries follow a 6-month rule . So if you are traveling and your passport expires in 6 months or less. They will not let you travel. It just happened to someone I know a couple weeks ago.
The country doesn't know or care that you are booking a flight, they just won't let you in if you happen to arrive...and you won't arrive because the airlines won't let you board the plane.

OP as I understand it some airlines will ask for passport information when you book online but they really don't do anything with it until a couple days before when they provide the APIS to the government. If you don't have that information you can provide it at the airport at departure when checking in and probably go through a bit more screening (of course, they won't let you into the gate area unless you have this information).
In summary - you can book now even without a current passport.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I will contact the airline when I get a chance, but thought I'd ask this question here in the meantime. Has anyone here ever booked an international flight when your passport will expire before your travel date?<>
I do not know the answer to your question, but:
A Dr.Phil show just featured a man scammed by a non-existant woman he met online. She told him she was stranded in South Africa with her daughter and they were holding them in jail and she needed bail money. He ended up being bilked for about $200 grand.
Dr. Phil addressed the passport expiration issue and based on what was said on the show I think if you contact the State Department they can extend the passports.
"For much less than $200,000"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel