U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 PM

276 posts, read 123,011 times

Advertisements

Hookers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 02:04 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,281,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
Hookers?
Why would I do that? I'm female.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Should I book a place in Koh Samui now or wait until I get there? Not sure if I want to stay there or if I could stay on a smaller island.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:14 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
Really? Why's that? I was originally going to spend a week in Chiang Mai but my friend said that would be too long. I wasn't even going to go to Bangkok but it was highly recommended to at least check it out. I'll look into Ayutthaya and Lopburi.
Complaints about how dirty is was, crowded beaches, crime.

Decide for yourself:

Phuket, Thailand; pros & cons of Phuket's beaches and much more

Phuket-the good, the bad and the ugly. | Family Trek

I agree with your friend that one week is too long for Chaing Mai. However, one day isn't enough (for the reasons stated earlier). Bangkok IS something to see - for a max of 3 days.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/cliff...b_6936680.html

Old 11-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Should I book a place in Koh Samui now or wait until I get there? Not sure if I want to stay there or if I could stay on a smaller island.
depends... Weekday or weekend?
prime season?
How flexible are you?

In Asia, I often use Agoda.com (Fridays list bargains)

They are Singapore based (same time zone and very helpful, in case of issues + you gain points / gift certificates)

Do spend equal time in rural Thailand, as the people and food are great, and it is very cheap!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
depends... Weekday or weekend?
prime season?
How flexible are you?

In Asia, I often use Agoda.com (Fridays list bargains)

They are Singapore based (same time zone and very helpful, in case of issues + you gain points / gift certificates)

Do spend equal time in rural Thailand, as the people and food are great, and it is very cheap!
I'm just going to stay in Ko Samui. I don't mind touristy spots as long as there will be people who can speak English.

Do you guys know anything about the cell phone situation? I went to China last year with my current phone and I think I was able to get data in some areas and wifi everywhere. I didn't try using it to make calls but my brother received calls from the states. I might have to call my cell phone company and ask the rates if I try and make calls in Thailand to someone in Thailand.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Do you have an Unlocked phone? (hope so..., or have your carrier unlock it BEFORE you go...)

Local pre-paid SIM is MUCH cheaper (and faster) than a crummy USA service trying to roam...
You can get a SIM card at the airport or 7-11.
You can top-off at 7-11 (they are everywhere)

Thailand | Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
AIS TRAVELLER SIM
TrueMove H Postpaid Packages and Prepaid SIM
https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...urist-sim.html

IIRC, I last used TRUE, tho previously had used AIS for a few yrs.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times
If you have a GSM phone just get a sim card there for a few dollars, the shops are all over, 7-11 sells them, the hostel can show you. Email your new Thai ph# to your family & friends, way, way cheaper than using current plan over there. Probably cheaper to just pick up a cheap phone over there if you have a CDMA phone, cell phones are sold all over town for cheap, they're ubiquitous.

Personally I would go to a full moon party, just don't drink yourself into a stupor, learn the scams. Also I would recommend CM-Pai-Mae Hong Son as a nice itinerary to consider up north. Don't miss the weekend market in BKK, schedule visit around that.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,287 times
Quote:
I'm just going to stay in Ko Samui. I don't mind touristy spots as long as there will be people who can speak English.

Do you guys know anything about the cell phone situation? I went to China last year with my current phone and I think I was able to get data in some areas and wifi everywhere. I didn't try using it to make calls but my brother received calls from the states. I might have to call my cell phone company and ask the rates if I try and make calls in Thailand to someone in Thailand.
Check with your carrier to see if you they free international data and texting (I know that T-mobile and Sprint offer this). I have Sprint so I get 3g speed for the data but it is possible to upgrade to 4g speed for $5 a day or $25 a week. You should also check to see if you have WiFI calling as an option, if you do then you will be able to make and receive calls to the US at no charge. If you think that you will be making local calls often then I would go the local sim card route. If your phone is locked, you can ask your carrier to unlock it for an international SIM card

Old 11-07-2017, 12:22 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,861,018 times
Quote:
I'll be doing a solo trip in Thailand for 2 weeks and don't have much planned. Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Here's my current plan. It's very loose. Traveling by myself, I get a lot of flexibility but also a lot of gaps. Would be great to get some help filling them in.

Day 1 -- arrive in Chiang Mai. Will be staying near heart of Chiang Mai so I can explore and visit the night markets.
Day 2 -- go to an elephant park
Day 3 -- Go to Chiang Rai to see temples
Day 4 -- fly to Bangkok, explore the grand palace, flower market, floating market
Day 5 -- explore Bangkok
Day 6 -- explore Bangkok
Day 7 -- Go to Krabi, explore Bamboo Island, Tub Kaek Beach
Day 8 -- Explore Krabi ... maybe go scuba diving?
Day 9 -- Don't know
Day 10 -- don't know
Day 11 -- Don't know
Day 12 -- Go to Phuket
Day 13 -- Explore Phuket... maybe go to Koh Phi Phi
Day 14 -- Fly out of Phuket

I was going to do a scuba diving boat tour for 4 days and 3 nights but they require 4 logged dives, which I don't have. I might still try and do an overnight boat tour without the scuba diving. Anybody recommend any companies? I have no plans for 3 days. Was wondering if there were other cities nearby I should check out? Thinking of visiting Pattaya but not sure what's there. Would appreciate any suggestions you might have. The only requirements I have is I fly in Chiang Mai and fly out Phuket so I have two weeks to explore the entire country! I'll be mainly staying in hostels so hoping they'll have some ideas but am open to any cities I missed.

PS -- I noticed there are a lot of forests in Thailand but since I'll be alone I don't think I'll be too comfortable going there. I'm such an introvert I don't mind being at the beach by myself for a few days. If nothing else, I might even get a room in a treehouse and stay there for the three days. Any one have any suggestions for tour companies though? I don't really like them but if there are some really good ones, I'll look into it. Thanks!
We were in Thailand last week and loved it, I can’t wait to go back. I’ll add some suggestions;

1. We had an awesome tour guide who made everything easy and fun for us. She also introduced us to side things that weren’t on the itinerary and more local and unique. We would definitely ask her to be our guide in Thailand again, though we were aware that for the side experiences she arranged for us, she was most likely inflating the price or taking a cut vs scheduling it on our own. We wouldn’t have known about them if not for her, though so it was money well spent in our opinion.

2. Might be out of the way, but the floating market with the boat ride, and the bridge on the River Kwai was worth seeing. I haven’t seen the movie in its entirety but i want to now. The restaurant across from it is supposed to be a tourist trap but I thought the buffet was really good despite the flies everywhere. Regarding the food no one in our group got sick even once.

3. If you like massage see if you can get a masseuse from the Wat Po school in Bangkok (another useful tour guide side trip). I had a massage at a local place in Pattaya that was cheaper than the masseuse the guide arranged to come to the hotel room in Bangkok and I got what I paid for.

4. Pattaya was not that interesting to visit, though I did like the gem institute there. It seems like a tourist trap town with not much to see or do other than the beach and the beach was not worth going to. I don’t know anything about the cabaret shows that are there but I don’t think you’d be interested in that either.

5. Ayutthaya is worth seeing. Also stop by the temple that has the largest gold Buddha in Thailand, that was awesome.

6. WiFi at almost all of the hotels we stayed at was awful, connectivity practically non-existent.

Edit: 7. The Grand Palace was not that enjoyable. Way too many tourists and not much to see other than the Emerald Buddha. Wasn’t worth it IMO.

Last edited by arrieros81; 11-07-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel