U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:26 PM

15,092 posts, read 19,047,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why are you going there? Can't you find an American (as in USA), place to spend your dollars and time?
Rhetorical questions:

Is the computer you're using made in America?
Is your car 'made' in America?
How about your TV?

I'll help you out: The answer is NO.

Wanna play who owns many of the resorts and hotels in America? It's not Americans. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,271,209 times
[quote=T North;50047953]
Day 1 -- arrive in Chiang Mai. Will be staying near heart of Chiang Mai so I can explore and visit the night markets.
Need at least 1-2 days to explore Chiang Mai. Rent a moped to get around. Get a Massage; go to Wat Doi Sutep and/or the White Temple.
Day 2 -- go to an elephant park - I did this and did not like it - but your call.
Day 3 -- Go to Chiang Rai to see temples - It's a long drive. I preferred the Triangle Area and Mae Sai - you can cross into Burma if you bring your passport.
Day 4 -- fly to Bangkok, explore the grand palace, flower market, floating market - all good
Day 5 -- explore Bangkok - Good
Day 6 -- explore Bangkok - Nice - eat and some of the big restaurants, take a ride on the river. Go to a few night bars - Soi Cowboy, Stay out late at least one night.
Day 7 -- Go to Krabi, explore Bamboo Island, Tub Kaek Beach - Good.
Day 8 -- Explore Krabi ... maybe go scuba diving? Krabi is mostly a jumping off point for the Islands.
Day 9 -- Don't know - Pick your Islands
Day 10 -- don't know -Perhaps visit Pattaya City -after Bangkok for 1 or two nights.
Day 11 -- Don't know - from Bangkok perhaps to
Day 12 -- Go to Phuket - Go to the East side of Puket and take "Tropical Islands/James Bond Island tour - best full day money you will spend.
Day 13 -- Explore Phuket... maybe go to Koh Phi Phi
Day 14 -- Fly out of Phuket

There are also some nice Forrests north of Bangkok with waterfalls that could be very nice for a day trip.

Comments - inline - Enjoy !

Old 11-07-2017, 03:33 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,868,479 times
Thai foot massage. Find some place offering it. Seriously it was the most amazing thing. My feet have never EVER felt that good.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,239,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thai foot massage. Find some place offering it. Seriously it was the most amazing thing. My feet have never EVER felt that good.
I vote for the full body massage (the legitimate kind). I spent 2 weeks in Phuket training Muay Thai a few years ago and got 1 hour massage everyday and I think it was about $15-20 U.S. at the time. A bargain and those little Thai ladies will drive their knees and elbows into every muscle in your body and twist you up like a pretzel but you leave feeling like a million bucks

Old 11-07-2017, 04:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,865,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why are you going there? Can't you find an American (as in USA), place to spend your dollars and time? Ever watched the movie "Bangkok Hilton"
The cheap massages and healthy inexpensive food have me thinking about expatriating... and I love the USA.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:29 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,868,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I vote for the full body massage (the legitimate kind). I spent 2 weeks in Phuket training Muay Thai a few years ago and got 1 hour massage everyday and I think it was about $15-20 U.S. at the time. A bargain and those little Thai ladies will drive their knees and elbows into every muscle in your body and twist you up like a pretzel but you leave feeling like a million bucks
Body massage too often is code for other things though. Look for the folks who can crack walnuts with their fingers. Tip well.

(Seriously the strength of these folks hands who do the foot massages is just unreal)

Old 11-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Body massage too often is code for other things though. Look for the folks who can crack walnuts with their fingers. Tip well.

(Seriously the strength of these folks hands who do the foot massages is just unreal)
That's why you need to find the legitimate places. Even the most naive tourist should be able to tell if they are walking into a massage joint or a brothel. If the masseuses are all young, scantily clad girls then you aren't going to get a good massage

Old 11-07-2017, 05:39 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,288,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Massage sounds great but I have sciatica right now and can't get a full body massage. Maybe acupuncture but I don't really care for it.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:48 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,211,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
Massage sounds great but I have sciatica right now and can't get a full body massage. Maybe acupuncture but I don't really care for it.
Acupuncture might really help that, you could ask...

I think you will have a great time in Thailand, also don't be afraid to eat the street food (use common sense) it is delicous-

there is a guy on instagram who goes by migrationology that posts all his food from his travels (I think he's a food writer and blogger) and it looks amazing (he goes to Thailand a lot, I think he is married to a Thai person).

I think he has a website/ travel info service too... if you wanna google him.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Acupuncture might really help that, you could ask...

I think you will have a great time in Thailand, also don't be afraid to eat the street food (use common sense) it is delicous-

there is a guy on instagram who goes by migrationology that posts all his food from his travels (I think he's a food writer and blogger) and it looks amazing (he goes to Thailand a lot, I think he is married to a Thai person).

I think he has a website/ travel info service too... if you wanna google him.
I ate 90% of my meals on the street for 2 weeks I was there and never had an issue. But I never could muster up the courage to try the bugs on a stick from the insect cart even though everyone including expats and western travelers I met told me they are delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel