U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,631 posts, read 39,998,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
That's why you need to find the legitimate places. ....
The BEST 'legitimate' massage places are the ones under the tarps on the beach! (low overhead!)

$4USD for 40 minutes! Hot rocks, sticks, and very talented and STRONG (but tiny) gals.

They came by our flat / bungalow when they were on their scooters heading to their 'tarp site' on the beach and we'd book a time slot!

It was nice to be in a small town, as we got to know all the cafe owners and local store / fresh market people. Same when we lived in Spain, our kids went daily to the fresh markets and had great relationships with the shopkeepers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM

5,961 posts, read 2,902,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
Any tips for taxis and getting around? How can i tell if a tuk-tuk or taxi is legit?
Skip tuk-tuks unless you have no other choice. They made a lot more sense 20 years ago but these days a metered taxi is just as cheap, and in some cities (especially Bangkok) you can call Uber which is usually about the same as a taxi.

Careful with motorcycle taxis but they are regulated, they have vests with numbers on them and are cheap. You'd be surprised how much luggage those cats can shlep onto their scooter along with you.

Someone mentioned tuk-tuk mafai, this is true especially in the beach areas in the south. You have no choice but to pay inflated rates if you want to take public transportation in some areas.

In Chiang Mai (and many other cities) take a songthaew. They are just shared transportation like combis in Mexico or those shared vans in Africa (I forget what they called them) where it's a lot cheaper if you're willing to share the ride. Some will go to specific places and cost more, others ply the same route over and over like jeepneys in Philippines. There is usually a color coding for 'em that can take a while to figure out but they can save you a ton of money, we're talking 15 baht for the songthaew versus 100 baht for a tuk-tuk

Bangkok has sky train and buses, but for 2+ people a taxi is often just as cheap as the sky train.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM

5,961 posts, read 2,902,204 times
Also for massages, they can be found pretty easily for 200 baht for one hour either foot or body message. Different people like different things but we always preferred the ones that offered good people watching opportunities like where they have chairs set up facing the sidewalk.

Go there on a busy night of pedestrians with a large Beer Chang in one hand a newspaper in the other, one hour of heaven.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM

9,208 posts, read 9,283,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
First of all, you spelled Bangkok wrong. Second of all, why would I do that? I'm a little sick of the way America is right now. I'm kind of looking for a place to an ex-pat.
I'm not faulting you. Your itinerary sounds fine. I think I may visit Thailand myself one day with my wife.

I think there are some people who become suspicious when a single man talks about visiting Thailand that its "for the wrong reasons". Not saying its any of their business. I'm just saying its the way it is.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,097,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not faulting you. Your itinerary sounds fine. I think I may visit Thailand myself one day with my wife.

I think there are some people who become suspicious when a single man talks about visiting Thailand that its "for the wrong reasons". Not saying its any of their business. I'm just saying its the way it is.
The OP is female. She was responding to someone who was questioning why she would want to leave America for her vacation. Frankly I don't think that she even owed a response to that comment, if anything that person's comment reinforces the reasons that some people are tired of America

Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,451,393 times
I second

spend more time in Chang Mai

Koh Samui

and get a massage every day. Its...intoxicating. It will wind up being the thing you miss the most.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:01 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,927,686 times
Depending on what you would like to get out of your vacation, I would skip a few things on your agenda. After all, it's a well-deserved vacation that should not be too stressful. At least that's how I am going to handle it when I go to Thailand in a few weeks. Rushing from sight to sight and from city to city can be interesting but also exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

While the OP is not male as mentioned previously, I am a single male and am going to visit Thailand by myself. What exactly are you implying? Jealous much because you can't visit a beautiful country with lots of interesting sights, stunning beaches and wonderful climate for someone who wants to escape winter?

Old 11-19-2017, 04:52 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,210,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
I'm just going to stay in Ko Samui. I don't mind touristy spots as long as there will be people who can speak English.

Do you guys know anything about the cell phone situation? I went to China last year with my current phone and I think I was able to get data in some areas and wifi everywhere. I didn't try using it to make calls but my brother received calls from the states. I might have to call my cell phone company and ask the rates if I try and make calls in Thailand to someone in Thailand.
Just wanted folks to know, English is taught as part of public elementary school education, so it is pretty widespread (if not accurately pronounced)...

Old 11-23-2017, 07:00 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,287,384 times
Hey guys,
Do you recommend I spend 3 days in Railay beach or Kamala beach? I can't decide if I want it quiet but I'm wondering if Kamala beach would be too quiet.

I also thought about surfing in Kata beach but I'd like to do things other than surf.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:54 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,160,721 times
and get a massage every day. Its...intoxicating. It will wind up being the thing you miss the most. Funny how massages leave me cold, even the "finish me up" (lol) variety. I'm sorry to say so, but I don't miss anything much from Thailand ...Pad thai maybe...
[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel