U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 PM

326 posts, read 565,132 times

Advertisements

Last week I stayed at the Hyatt Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Ct. on Wed. and Thurs. using a walk-in discount coupon with my cell phone from hotelcoupons.com. I was given the coupon rate and immediate check-in mid-afternoon for a lovely room, free breakfast included the next morning. Before breakfast I told the desk clerk I would like to stay a second day provided I receive the same rate as the first day and she put the reservation through the system. Upon check-out, I asked for a receipt and to my dismay I was charged more money for the second day than the first day! When I complained the clerk told me I needed another coupon for the second day. I told her I used an online coupon which indicated the discount coupon is valid for Sun-Thurs. She proceeds to tell me that the discount rate was only for the first day! She calls the manager over and he states the same, the discount was for the first day only (even though the coupon is good for Sun-Thurs,). I told the manager that I shouldn't have been given the room if it wasn't the same price as I requested. The manager apologizes and says he cannot adjust the price lower for the second day. I commented that I disagreed with how they handled this and walked out (after all, why should I pay for the clerk's mistake, I trusted her to do what I requested).
I called my credit card company to report the dispute, the only recourse I have to get my money refunded for the difference in rates.
I posted the incident to warn others to be careful when using hotel coupons, be sure to ask how many days the coupon rate is valid for, always use a credit card in case of disputes, and always ask for a receipt upon check-out.
BTW, I usually stay at the Days Inn in Mystic, CT. and never had a problem adding on days at the discounted coupon rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 03:42 AM

16,737 posts, read 23,163,292 times
At every hotel Iíve stayed at, when you check in (or extend a stay), they print out a form with the rate, and require you to sign or initial that form. If this was done and you overlooked the rate, it might be your loss.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:13 AM

326 posts, read 565,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
At every hotel Iíve stayed at, when you check in (or extend a stay), they print out a form with the rate, and require you to sign or initial that form. If this was done and you overlooked the rate, it might be your loss.
Good point and reminder to check the rate on the form before signing. I never received a form for the second day, the clerk handed me new key cards for the room, that's all. Your post reminded me that I looked up my account info on the TV screen, but it wasn't working, otherwise I would have seen the higher rate before check-out.

IMO, the manager apologizing for the clerk's error is admitting a mistake was made and he should have corrected it. The clerk was silent when I told the manager I requested the same discounted rate as the first night and she shouldn't have given me the room (there is another hotel in the area $50 a day cheaper than the Hyatt regular rate, I would have stayed there instead).

BTW, there was an irate guest at the front desk before I checked out, he was angry regarding not getting a discounted room while attending a concert at Mohegan Sun, he claimed he always received the Hyatt discount in the past and couldn't understand why the manager didn't know about it!

Old 11-07-2017, 05:34 AM

16,737 posts, read 23,163,292 times
If that’s the case (the manager apologizing for the employee mistake and not the misunderstanding) then you should reach out to their corporate offices. If you get nowhere with them, then it’s time to dispute the charge on your credit card.

The manager is correct that you need a coupon for each night’s stay. I remember traveling to FL and we used Room Saver at some podunk Holiday Inn in SC - at the bottom, it stated the low rate is only good for one night. But if the clerk didn’t specify, that’s their mistake.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,139,958 times
Had a similar issue happen to me at a LaQuinta in New Mexico. Stayed an extra day, get the bill and it was more money. Brought it to the attention of the clerk, she checked with the manager and the bill was immediately adjusted with an apology.

As a result whenever I am back in that area, I always stay at that hotel. They have earned back that adjustment many times over.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:19 PM

114 posts, read 65,085 times
Hotels participate with hotelcoupons.com at their discretion and under their rules.

Hotel A will do it differently then Hotel B, then will Hotel C, etc etc.

There is nothing unusual with being told you needed two coupons for two nights; or nothing unusual with being told one coupon is ok for two nights. Hotel makes their own individual rule, and you need to inquire about that. It's all in the fine print that no one wants to read.

Every hotel night is a different "product". If you went to the grocery store with a $1-off coupon for an item on Monday; you can't go back on Tuesday and expect $1-off again without the coupon. You need a new one.

HAVING SAID THAT: You have recourse if you did not sign for or initial the higher rate. That needs to be your stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or