U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 01:07 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,844,963 times

Advertisements

I found a price for airfare on priceline which was decent, but every time I tried to book the flight, it told me the price had changed. Granted this change was only 30 bucks for an international flight, but it was annoying enough for me to search around. Just for grins I looked on the actual airline's website and found that I could book directly from them for the price that priceline originally had. So, I ended up booking directly with the airline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 01:12 PM

910 posts, read 529,124 times
Always book directly with an airline. However, if Priceline has a super-discounted price you must realize that any cancellation of flight or inability to make the flight could forfeit your payment. I remember being behind a family that was late for a ski trip and they thought they'd just rebook on a later flight. Yellling ensued when they found out their Priceline flights were non-refundable and worthless at that point.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,405,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
The last time I went to FL to visit the relatives, I noticed there was a charge from priceline. What's stopping me from finding a flight on priceline and then just calling up the airline to make a reservation?
Yes. Use Kayak or Google Flights. Keep in mind that occasionally (maybe even rarely), it's cheaper to go through a 3rd party site than via the airlines directly.

Don't call the airline, just go to their website. Almost all of my flights are booked directly (hotels too, when the same price), since I think it's easier to talk directly if a problem arises.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,942,466 times
yes, go to their websites and you can book it directly

Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,513,460 times
I always book directly with the airline.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM

3,740 posts, read 7,034,910 times
Another trick I've read is to clear out your cookies between websites as this can sometimes "trick" the system into giving you a better fare.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Hell, don't even call. Just go on their website and purchase it that way.
does that require internet?

(Rural USA dweller... no internet, no healthcare) must drive to town / library for internet (open a couple days / week)

Yes, when living in Europe or Asia... use the internet (usually available everywhere). Discount air carriers have great prices and websites.

For best prices, check all options.

For least hassles (when there is a change) book direct

for absolute least hassle... SWA...
  • free changes / cancellations within 10 min of flight depature
  • Free Bags
  • Decent routing and booking process
  • Low fare Calendar... (I really miss their "Fare-by-map", discontinued at the moment)

Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,870,799 times
Last year, I was booking a flight to Fiji from Los Angeles. Best I could do from third party sites was 1089. When I went to Fiji Airways site they had the same flight for 869. Guess where I booked!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:42 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Personally, I never use 3rd party sites for booking. If a flight cancelled, delayed or whatever, i don't want to deal with the 3rd party to fix my situation. I've never found that the savings is significant enough to justify the possible hassle
I typically book through third party sites and if the flight is delayed or cancelled you still work through the airline, not the third party. For example, I had a flight booked from Expedia from Seattle to KC get cancelled and the airline, Alaska Airlines rebooked me on another flight (that wasn't Alaska) to get me to my destination. I didn't have to call anyone, I simply went to Alaskas desk and they worked it all out. It doesn't matter where you get the ticket, in fact, I doubt they know if it's from their own website or from a third party. I've had other experiences as well and I've never had to go through the third party to get anything worked out.

Now, say its the customers fault and they miss the flight, then they might have to work with the third party, but my parents had that happen when traveling to China last year and the airline still got them on another plane, but that may vary on circumstances.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:46 PM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
does that require internet?
Are you really asking if going to the website and purchasing that way requires internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or