U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Another trick I've read is to clear out your cookies between websites as this can sometimes "trick" the system into giving you a better fare.
Or use the private browsing feature if your browser has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 04:14 PM

7,321 posts, read 3,032,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
The last time I went to FL to visit the relatives, I noticed there was a charge from priceline. What's stopping me from finding a flight on priceline and then just calling up the airline to make a reservation?
That's the only way you can book Southwest.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:53 PM

6,261 posts, read 3,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
lose control of your itinerary if things go wrong using these 3rd party sites.
I can understand this if you’re not ticketed yet, but once you are ticketed all that counts is a reservation and the class of fare (and frequent flyer status). I doubt someone is discriminated against had they been booked on say Priceline.

Or have I been missing something?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM

5,229 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I can understand this if you’re not ticketed yet, but once you are ticketed all that counts is a reservation and the class of fare (and frequent flyer status). I doubt someone is discriminated against had they been booked on say Priceline.

The bigger problems occur when people buy the lowest fare, non-refundable, no changes allowed type tickets thru a third party, and then miss their flight or want to change it.

Problems caused by the airline like mechanical, or weather, etc usually are taken care of by the airline.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

My understanding is that there is a clear split in the system between airline tickets sold by most carriers and tickets sold by travel agencies (including OTAs like Priceline, Expedia, and such). It's modeled on the old days when all travel agencies were full service and would actively manage tickets and ticket changes for their passengers, and the TAs didn't want the airline messing with what the TAs were trying to do.

There is a point where a flight goes under 'gate control' or 'airport control' where the gate agent and the airline have full control of all the tickets on the flight with the ability to reroute passengers due to 'irregular operations' (IRROPS as they say) from weather or mechanical issues. But this is fairly late in the process, and often at a point when you already know your day has gone totally pear-shaped because of a two hour ground stop in Atlanta messing the whole system up.

Say you know this two hours before your flight and want to be proactive because you're worried about missing a connection- the contract between Delta and the airline says that the travel agency is in charge of your ticket until it's sent to gate control. Which was great in the day when you just called up Mary in the local Carson travel office in Omaha, and she straightened your flight out right quick and got you rebooked. But which did not translate well when the customer service number is in an Indian call center and they're stacking up calls left and right because they hold the tickets on a good number of the 50,000 passengers who are also impacted by the ATL ground stop.

I've done the ATL (and IAH and a few other airports) ground stop boogie and have come to put a high value on being able to find a gate agent in a less noticed or less used part of the airport if I need to be rebooked because it's generally easier and quicker in my experience than getting stuck in the phone queue hell. So it's booking direct with the airline so I can find that person at the airport significantly before the problematic flight is scheduled to go under airport control.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I found this for the first time ever trying to help my brother book a flight recently. Expedia was actually cheaper than the lowest price ticket on the airline's website. I will definitely check both from now on.

Perhaps they are cheaper, but if you need to make a change or cancel, be aware that you will need to deal with Expedia, not the airline directly.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,437,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Perhaps they are cheaper, but if you need to make a change or cancel, be aware that you will need to deal with Expedia, not the airline directly.
Yes, I warned my brother about that and he was OK with it since he was saving a lot of money. The other interesting thing though is that Expedia sells trip insurance for a relatively minor fee. On a previous trip, he booked Allegiant Air and had to cancel at the last minute due to an emergency. Allegiant wanted to charge him more than he'd already paid for the ticket to cancel (along with forfeiting his paid ticket). The trip insurance was something like $19 through Expedia and was well worth it to him. Compared to the change fees or higher prices for a refundable ticket, this seemed like a pretty good deal. Thankfully he didn't have to use it so I don't know how easy it would have been to get the refund.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:15 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,756,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
The last time I went to FL to visit the relatives, I noticed there was a charge from priceline. What's stopping me from finding a flight on priceline and then just calling up the airline to make a reservation?
Or you could just go to the airline's website and book a flight. You don't need Priceline. You may get a better price going through the airline's website. There won't be any fees for Priceline.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:35 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Are you really asking if going to the website and purchasing that way requires internet?
I think that was a joke.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 714,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes just go directly to the airlines website. I always check out a few before I decide.
If you book online, clear out your cookies first.

If your computer shows that you frequently fly from Point A to Point B, the price might be higher than if you never went from point A to point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or