U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,362,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Please refer to my reply last week in the thread "Which place do you never want to visit" where I pretty much picked the area you are driving through as the least inviting area in the country & which I would rather fly over.

Meeting halfway, if you aren't going to be too exact about it, I would suggest the area around Sante Fe & Taos NM.
I'd throw a vote in for NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 PM

3,703 posts, read 1,883,662 times
Santa Fe. Taos is ok, but a bit hippy-dippy for me and there is road construction just south. Lots of delays.

Always something to do in Santa Fe.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:47 PM

10,348 posts, read 4,134,805 times
Santa Fe is 9.5 hours from Dallas. Kind of a long way, but a nice place.

Is this the kind of friend you can have fun with just being together and you don't necessarily need a fabulous destination place? If so, I'd go to Amarillo, and spend a day at Palo Duro Canyon as another poster suggested. It's about 6 hours driving for each of you.

I can't believe there are those who say there is nothing worth seeing approximately midway between the two cities. There's a lot of very spiritual, quiet lovely places with big starry skies.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,296,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Agreed. Palo Duro Canyon is about the only thing in that part of the country that can compete with the scenery near Denver. Other than that there's a whole lot of nothing between Dallas and Raton, NM.
I have also lived in both North Texas and Denver and second the suggestion of Palo Duro Canyon. It's the second largest canyon in the US, and has several nice hikes. I have driven the direct route from Dallas going up through Amarillo, then cutting over to Trinidad, NM a couple of times, and echo ClaraC's description of it. I think it's a serene and beautiful drive.

As far as the scenery near Denver, be advised the area East of Denver is flat, brown prairie, so there's really nothing to see.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,006,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I have also lived in both North Texas and Denver and second the suggestion of Palo Duro Canyon. It's the second largest canyon in the US, and has several nice hikes. I have driven the direct route from Dallas going up through Amarillo, then cutting over to Trinidad, NM a couple of times, and echo ClaraC's description of it. I think it's a serene and beautiful drive.

As far as the scenery near Denver, be advised the area East of Denver is flat, brown prairie, so there's really nothing to see.
Good post here, the only correction would be that U.S. 87 out of Amarillo comes into Raton, NM first, then Trinidad, Colorado. I know that part of NM/TX well, in 1982 I worked on a CO-2 pipeline that crossed that highway just east of the town of Capulin. A short drive which is worth your time is the drive up Caapulin Mountain, which is a national monument and also an extinct volcano. Going north out of Raton and coming over Raton Pass you have a sweeping view of the Culebra and Sangre De Cristo mountain ranges that extends 70 miles or so west and Fishers Peak is on the east side of the interstate. The Spanish Peaks overlook the town of Walsenburg and of course, Pikes Peak just towers over Colorado Springs. Pikes Peak is one of the most photographed mountains in the nation.

Also agree about Palo Duro canyon!

As far as what is the halfway point I would say either Raton or Trinidad, motels and restaurants are available of course. Beautiful route, have done it many times! Was in Raton this past July, was surprised at the closing of some of the mom and pop motels and restaurants there. Sad. I lived in Raton on that pipeline project for 5 months, loved the town!

Old 12-02-2017, 04:57 AM

21,375 posts, read 21,954,803 times
In the SE part of Colorado, near La Juanta, is the largest site of dinosaur tracks in North America. A bit out-of-the-way but easy enough to get to with a 4WD (we rented one in La Juanta) and one of the most amazing things I've seen in my travels around the U.S.

Located on the banks of the Purgatoire River in southeast Colorado, this dinosaur tracksite is the largest documented assemblage of trackways in North America. Over 1,300 prints in 100 separate trackways extend across a quarter mile expanse of bedrock. Apatosaurus and Allosaurus are two types of dinosaurs that left prints in the mud over 150 million years ago.
^https://www.recreation.gov/tourParkD...O&parkId=74974

(my photo)

Picketwire Canyon PHOTO TOUR

Old 12-02-2017, 10:53 AM

956 posts, read 1,777,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
In the SE part of Colorado, near La Juanta, is the largest site of dinosaur tracks in North America. A bit out-of-the-way but easy enough to get to with a 4WD (we rented one in La Juanta) and one of the most amazing things I've seen in my travels around the U.S.

Located on the banks of the Purgatoire River in southeast Colorado, this dinosaur tracksite is the largest documented assemblage of trackways in North America. Over 1,300 prints in 100 separate trackways extend across a quarter mile expanse of bedrock. Apatosaurus and Allosaurus are two types of dinosaurs that left prints in the mud over 150 million years ago.
^https://www.recreation.gov/tourParkD...O&parkId=74974

(my photo)

Picketwire Canyon PHOTO TOUR
That's extremely cool, didn't know that existed near(I assume) La Junta! Sounds like it'd be worth a side trip to stop at, if I was traveling through southeast Colorado.

Speaking of places to visit, I also wouldn't mind visiting the Great Sand Dunes National Park, which is a little southwest of Pueblo. Had heard about Palo Duro Canyon and Cadillac Ranch, which both probably would be worth brief stops to look at if I was passing through Amarillo.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:24 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,042,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Carlsbad Caverns in NM would be close to halfway. I went there about 50 years ago, and it's still the most impressive cave I've seen. Not much around there other than the cave, however.
Carlsbad shouldn't even be in the discussion because it's nowhere, really nowhere, near Dallas or Denver. If you drew a right triangle, D & D would be the points along the hypotenuse and Carlsbad (a chip shot away from El Paso) would be the point defining the right angle.
It's a nice place, though, just shouldn't be part of this particular trip.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:43 PM

21,375 posts, read 21,954,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
That's extremely cool, didn't know that existed near(I assume) La Junta! Sounds like it'd be worth a side trip to stop at, if I was traveling through southeast Colorado.

Speaking of places to visit, I also wouldn't mind visiting the Great Sand Dunes National Park, which is a little southwest of Pueblo. Had heard about Palo Duro Canyon and Cadillac Ranch, which both probably would be worth brief stops to look at if I was passing through Amarillo.
just played around with Google Maps and it didn't take me too long to find the aerial view of the track site, the parking area is a couple hundred feet to the NW across the river...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...4d-103.5438321

you can walk in but it's about 5 to 7 miles one-way. Otherwise you can hook up with an annual Forest Service group drive-in (in the late spring). Or, you can hire the Ranger to lead you in individually by calling the Forest/Park Service in La Juanta, which is what we did. Lots to see on the way in and out inclding petroglyphs, an old mission and the farmstead of the original ranch family in the neighborhood.

Bent's Fort (lots of history) is just East of La Junta and was an integral part of the Santa Fe Trail. An hour or so NE of La Junta is the Sand Creek Massacre Historic site.

https://www.nps.gov/beol/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/sand/index.htm

Last edited by Ghengis; 12-02-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or