Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 PM

13,065 posts, read 20,732,369 times

Advertisements

Folks, don't confuse REAL ID documents with DHS accepted documents with TSA accepted documents with international travel accepted documents.

No state is required to offer a REAL ID compliant drivers license or State identification card to it's residents. Most do so because residents demand it. I read that in one state (I believe it was Arizona) the lawmakers refused to offer a REAL ID license but bowed to citizen pressure and now the demand has exceeded the state's prediction. It's was reported to be the most voluntarily converted item.

As an FYI, TSA does provide a Fact Sheet that list all accepted documents (it's also posted at all checkpoints) and I've never ever seen a TSA agent refuse one on that list. Doesn't mean they initially said it wasn't good, but whip that out and a supervisor will order them to accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,969,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

As an FYI, TSA does provide a Fact Sheet that list all accepted documents (it's also posted at all checkpoints) and I've never ever seen a TSA agent refuse one on that list. Doesn't mean they initially said it wasn't good, but whip that out and a supervisor will order them to accept it.
It all depends on which supervisor shows up. Some will stand by the agents decision saying posted guidelines can be revised if the agent has reason to do so. And, of course they will not disclose the reason for "security reasons". When I worked out of BWI my airport issued id that allowed me access to the tarmac without screening was not acceptable as an ID when traveling as a passenger. My airline issued crew badge which was issued under an approved TSA security plan was OK when traveling as a crew member but not as a passenger.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,948,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Technically.. It has taken place, however about 7 states (Including my home state of SC) have gotten exemptions/extensions.. So, their IDs can still be used for all the things listed that won't work in "6 months" (odds are another extension may come)

SC is not implementing it.. They are allowing for people to OPTIONALLY get a RealID DL, but not requiring it. I think it'll cost around $50 or so.. I had to get my birth certificate from my mother for when I get it.

My understanding is that they either are allowing people to enroll for one now, or will shortly, but they won't roll out until next year.

Minnesota is another one, I think, that has been bucking it.

Missouri, too..... Renewed my passport last year because of it.....

Old 11-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,587 posts, read 57,536,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
It all depends on which supervisor shows up. Some will stand by the agents decision ....
True... I have had far more bad encounters with TSA supervisors than staff. One time in Denver the TSA staff was 'auctioning off' the confiscated articles from passengers. (in front of the passengers who had just been forced to drop their items in the box.) When I protested, the supervisor assured me I would NOT be leaving Denver that day. And tho TSA Pre, trusted traveler, passport and enhanced (RFID) DL, he was right (As always)

Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM

24,510 posts, read 17,995,915 times
My work travel pattern changed a couple weeks ago and I'm on an airplane most weeks. I haven't gotten around to getting my drivers license re-issued with the little Real ID emblem in the corner. My license doesn't expire until May 2020 and I'd rather avoid an unnecessary trip to motor vehicles. I put my passport card in my wallet a couple of weeks ago so I don't need to bother tracking when the TSA is going to reject my drivers license as ID at airport security. I'm kind of glad I got a passport card when I renewed my passport a few years ago.

I'm expecting the TSA will honor my drivers license without the mark on it at the airport for another few years after some huge uproar on January 22, 2018 but I haven't been tracking it.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:51 PM

6,314 posts, read 4,779,172 times
Everything you need to know about all this is on the TSA website:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification

Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,587 posts, read 57,536,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
Yup!

and Good luck with that...

Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 PM

13,065 posts, read 20,732,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I guess some of us just happen to be lucky. I have never ever seen a TSA supervisor refusing to accept an identification document authorized by DHS on that list. I have heard many refusing to allow a holder of those documents to use a 'special line" if that privilege wasn't indicated on their boarding pass, but refusing to accept the document, never seen it happen. The worst I have seen was not immediately accepting certain questionable documents until a supervisor was called to verify the authenticity of that document. But it appears it's widespread being refused so I guess millions of us are just lucky.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,515,918 times
I'm traveling for work in January and I'm booking my return flight early partially because of this. I am going to apply for a passport. I have a driver's license, but our state is under review. I don't want to be stuck not being able to fly home. Renting a car and driving for 2 days isn't even an option since this is literally a cross country flight. I was actually reading about this mess a little while ago as I had received an email from the trade show I will be attending and it contained info about REAL ID. I was like oh crap!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 PM

16,344 posts, read 12,314,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm traveling for work in January and I'm booking my return flight early partially because of this. I am going to apply for a passport. I have a driver's license, but our state is under review. I don't want to be stuck not being able to fly home. Renting a car and driving for 2 days isn't even an option since this is literally a cross country flight. I was actually reading about this mess a little while ago as I had received an email from the trade show I will be attending and it contained info about REAL ID. I was like oh crap!
Not having the requisite IDs won't mean that you can't fly. It just means that you'll be subject to additional screening and TSA paperwork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel