U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 PM

360 posts, read 248,689 times

Advertisements

A driver license or the state ID are the easiest way for me to travel domestically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:48 PM

4,000 posts, read 3,258,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, do keep this in mind...
The following additional ID I carry will not satisfy 'REAL-ID';
  1. My $280..."enhanced" DL = Passport free travel to USA and Mex (with fingerprinting / RFID encoded License), but not eligible for air or sea transit.
  2. Sentri / Nexus
  3. Global Entry / Trusted Traveler / TSA Pre-Check

None of the above work ... so 'Bring your passport'
Under what circumstances would I "not" carry my passport, with clear plastic cover with a little slot in back for my NEXUS card, in this case? (Just for others' references, NEXUS = SENTRI = Global Entry (and usually) facilitates Trusted Traveler and TSA Pre).

That would be just stupid, I don't care what they claimed prior. I had a snag at SeaTac the other day that was totally unexpected, thank you Delta, and I have the distinct impression my passport was just as interesting to the airline people as the card.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:45 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
we use passports and tsa precheck and have had no issues or delays at the airports we used .

Old 11-26-2017, 05:54 AM

5,953 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Under what circumstances would I "not" carry my passport, with clear plastic cover with a little slot in back for my NEXUS card, in this case?
To feel oppressed and have the opportunity to complain about TSA?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,460,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Under what circumstances would I "not" carry my passport, with clear plastic cover with a little slot in back for my NEXUS card, in this case? (Just for others' references, NEXUS = SENTRI = Global Entry (and usually) facilitates Trusted Traveler and TSA Pre).

That would be just stupid, I don't care what they claimed prior. I had a snag at SeaTac the other day that was totally unexpected, thank you Delta, and I have the distinct impression my passport was just as interesting to the airline people as the card.
Well, I just flew out of SEA with my NEXUS card for the first time. The problem wasn't with using the card for ID, it was that the TT numbers weren't on my husband's and daughter's boarding passes, so got rejected. Got that fixed at the airport and were able to go through expedited screening out of KOA with our NEXUS cards as ID and TT numbers on the boarding passes, no problem.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,143,320 times
I use my military ID for domestic flying and my passport for international travel. My driver's license is never used in my travels other than to drive with. It is not Real ID compliant and I have no plans for it to be.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,806,637 times
No need to get Real Id: since you still have to show birth certificate or passport when your Real Id expires anyway when you move to another state or have lived in another state. When you moved to another state and apply for their ID or license after your previous Real ID expired, you have to show your documents again like passport or birth certificate. Just take passport to fly.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:20 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I've been using a U.S. passport card at TSA checkpoints for around nine years, so I expect that to be accepted as a Real ID.
I have been using a regular U.S Passport so I assume that I don't need to worry about having an enhanced driver's license.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:22 PM

297 posts, read 93,521 times
Passport card. Just as big as a DL. Great 1st form of ID.
Global Entry. Also just as big as DL. Great 2nd form of ID.

Or just don't bring any ID, and submit to invasive finger in butthole TSA screening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or