Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:23 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Passed by Congress in 2005, the act is intended to prevent identity fraud, and starting on Jan. 22, 2018, fliers who reside in some states, even if they’re flying domestically, will need identification other than a driver’s license to pass through Transportation Security Administration security checkpoints at airports.

Check your ID, and see if it has a star on the right upper corner.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/t...pagewanted=all
https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-...es-territories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Yeah, do keep this in mind...
The following additional ID I carry will not satisfy 'REAL-ID';
  1. My $280..."enhanced" DL = Passport free travel to USA and Mex (with fingerprinting / RFID encoded License), but not eligible for air or sea transit.
  2. Sentri / Nexus
  3. Global Entry / Trusted Traveler / TSA Pre-Check

None of the above work ... so 'Bring your passport'

Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, do keep this in mind...
The following additional ID I carry will not satisfy 'REAL-ID';
  1. My $280..."enhanced" DL = Passport free travel to USA and Mex (with fingerprinting / RFID encoded License), but not eligible for air or sea transit.
  2. Sentri / Nexus
  3. Global Entry / Trusted Traveler / TSA Pre-Check

None of the above work ... so 'Bring your passport'
I don't think that's right. According to this, DHS trusted traveler cards do count.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think that's right. According to this, DHS trusted traveler cards do count.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
OK, the "REAL ID has not taken place YET... Take your chances (I have had only had 14 flights in the last week, and I tried my 'Global Entry / Trusted traveler', and the TSA agent (as usual) said "What's THAT? Produce a Passport" (or valid DL (acceptable today)) or... "get out of line and come back with the correct ID". (I was in TSA Pre-check, which the TSA agent said my Global Entry was ONLY good at the Airline check-in counter to get me stamped for PRE-Check, NOT an acceptable form of ID to Fly...)

As you well know... many variations of interpretations among TSA agents AND BOSSES. I get my fill of hassles and feel no safer in USA... But foreign security seems to have a pretty good handle on it. (Especially Israel !)

Hopefully when REAL ID comes along... so will the TSA information to their 'all-star' employees

I'm not too surprised, as the Federal Site changed security procedures and notifications 2x during my Global Entry application process. I am not amused that DHS FORCES an ID confirmation code on your Cell Phone, since my USA cell phone STAYS in USA while I am traveling internationally. That works out REAL well internationally... .. sending a text security code to a USA based number.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Its interesting how those proposing this legislation want to make things more complicated. I mean they could just make one ID or just embrace the use of existing Real ID compliant documents passports, passport cards, Nexus cards, Sentry cards, or Global Entry cards and be done with it. But no they have to reform all 50 sovereign states and some territories which some are still way behind in modernizing their system for it. I guess the only reason is to avoid the political incorrectness of having people get a federal ID. So they coierce states to "nationalize" state documents instead as they know 89% of Americans can't live with a state issued drivers license.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
I've been using a U.S. passport card at TSA checkpoints for around nine years, so I expect that to be accepted as a Real ID.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:45 PM

If you've got one or more of these you're safe.

• U.S. passport card or passport book
• DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
• U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
• U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
• Permanent resident card
• Border crossing card
• DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
• Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
• Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
• HSPD-12 PIV card
• Foreign government-issued passport
• Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
• Transportation worker identification credential
• Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766)

Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OK, the "REAL ID has not taken place YET... Take your chances (I have had only had 14 flights in the last week, and I tried my 'Global Entry / Trusted traveler', and the TSA agent (as usual) said "What's THAT? Produce a Passport" (or valid DL (acceptable today)) or... "get out of line and come back with the correct ID". (I was in TSA Pre-check, which the TSA agent said my Global Entry was ONLY good at the Airline check-in counter to get me stamped for PRE-Check, NOT an acceptable form of ID to Fly...)
Technically.. It has taken place, however about 7 states (Including my home state of SC) have gotten exemptions/extensions.. So, their IDs can still be used for all the things listed that won't work in "6 months" (odds are another extension may come)

SC is not implementing it.. They are allowing for people to OPTIONALLY get a RealID DL, but not requiring it. I think it'll cost around $50 or so.. I had to get my birth certificate from my mother for when I get it.

My understanding is that they either are allowing people to enroll for one now, or will shortly, but they won't roll out until next year.

Minnesota is another one, I think, that has been bucking it.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I've been using a U.S. passport card at TSA checkpoints for around nine years, so I expect that to be accepted as a Real ID.
A passport is not the same thing as a Real ID.

HOWEVER, a passport *will* be accepted as identification at an airport for domestic or international travel.

*BUT* if you're smart, you should bring more than one ID just in case the guy working at the TSA desk is an idiot.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
A passport is not the same thing as a Real ID.

HOWEVER, a passport *will* be accepted as identification at an airport for domestic or international travel.

*BUT* if you're smart, you should bring more than one ID just in case the guy working at the TSA desk is an idiot.
I have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQrESb5DbEw (otherwise known as Kaufmanian) for them just in case.

Beginning October 1, 2020, the federal government will require you to present this upgraded credential or another form of approved identification in order to board a domestic flight or to access secure federal facilities which in Lieu of a US DL is one.. I have DLs with photos for when I'm in other countries. The US international DL is not really internationally that recognized.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 11-13-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel