U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,738,633 times

Advertisements

We have travelled around Europe by ourselves and really enjoyed it. Rented a car, stayed in BnB and explored.
We would like to do the same in Croatia. If anyone has done that would love to share some information, itiniary
Etc.
Is August- Sept a good time? Is May too cold? Will avoid summer
We would like to spend 2 weeks, or more if nescessary.
We would like to include some hiking and birding.
We love cities.
Where did you stay, what kind of accommodation: hotels, inns, BnB?
Where and what did you eat?
Thank you for any help, suggestions, recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,600,561 times
The coast, the coast, the coast.... from Split to Dubrovnik, amazing! Rent a car & go at your own pace after staying in Split for a few days. Also figure out a way to hit some islands, perhaps a few days cruise/hotel or ? Gin clear water. I have heard that there is a nice national park inland but I never was able to get away from the coast myself - on a several month escapade I needed to go from Venice to Greece & we stumbled unknowingly onto Croatia which became one of the surprise highlights of the entire trip.

Sorry I can't give more specifics but it was a long time ago.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,187,733 times
We were just in Croatia in April. It is amazing place. You will have an amazing time. If you do a search you should find our thread on the trip. It has some pictures and I have others posted in my profile.

The weather in April was fine, if a bit rainy one day. I would imagine temperatures in May would be even better.

I can highly recommend spending time around the Istrian Peninsula. Rovinj is amazingly scenic and the Roman arena **** (sorry I forgot the name of the town triggers the anti profanity filters City-Data uses) was great. We were only there a day and it was too short a time. We stayed in Opatia, which was a nice place with a nice beach, plenty of hotels and places to eat. I can recommend both the service and the food at the restaurant Lungomare.

Split and Dubrovnik are the most known "tourist" areas of Croatia for good reason. Definitely book a tour with a local guide in Split. It is one place where having a local to show you around is completely worth it. Our hotel in Split was the Le Meridian was outstanding (the best we had during our trip). In Split we like a little out of the way place called Konoba Korta. The seafood is amazing and the ambiance sitting in the courtyard on a warm day is fantastic.

Dubrovnik was the highlight of the trip in terms of scenery. I can recommend the Restaurant Azure which is just around the corner from the Buza Bar which is a little cafe right on the rocks outside the city wall.

If you get a chance order the Peka, which is meat and vegetables slow cooked in a clay pot under hot coals. In some places you have to order ahead several hours, but we found a place in Zagreb that had it.

I can recommend the local wines. We typically just ordered the local table wine and were always happy. There are also some local spirits that are worth trying. My favorite was Pelinkovac.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,942,503 times
Lots of good info in MyTarge13's post. The coast is super scenic and it's easy to get away from the tourist hot spots in Croatia, especially in the islands or north of Zadar.

Croatia is apartment/house rental country, everybody there is saying they were like Airbnb/Homeaway before their time. As I understand it, they used to mostly rent rooms within houses and some still do but we rented a bunch of amazing studios and apartments there, even the hole-in-the-wall building had great apartments inside. Of course do your research, there are some hotels but we found they cost a heck of a lot more than apartments and were not always in the most convenient spots so we skipped them, except in Zagreb where we stayed at the Esplanade for some ridiculously low cost for that kind of place.

The only thing I can really suggest is: don't overfill your schedule. Croatia (esp. the islands) is a paradise for relaxing, walking in old villages, going to the market, etc., but the cities are not so completely different from each others that you will miss out on something unique if you skip one (except maybe Dubrovnik and Split). For example we loved Sibenik and Korcula but could have skipped Zadar and Trogir. Also if you are in the mood for something different, consider getting to Mostar.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
I can't say enough good things about pvitlice lakes. On my trip I slept at a zimmer in Senj on the coast that had a balcony with a 180 ocean view. the stars were amazing. the next day I headed inland and bought a 2 day pass for pvitlice, which I absolutely needed. I stayed in a zimmer immediately downstream from the park, there's a small community down a steep road to the left. Upon leaving the lakes I happened upon the community of Rastoke, immediately north of Slunj. That was my favorite part of Croatia, it is like Hansel and Gretel meet the Pvitlice lakes.

My trip was mid sept so it was easy to find lodging. I didn't reserve ahead which is good because I enjoyed staying in Rastoke.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,653,684 times
Dubrovnik to the Bay of Kotor

Old 11-17-2017, 02:24 AM

27 posts, read 13,924 times
Is August- Sept a good time? Is May too cold? Will avoid summer

yes August to Sept is a good time to go there.

We would like to spend 2 weeks, or more if necessary.

It's a beautiful place will have good time there i am sure.

We would like to include some hiking and birding.

Sea sight is best for birds viewing.

Where did you stay, what kind of accommodation: hotels, inns, BnB?

Hotels

Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM

I decided to add a picture to this thread. This is a shot of the very scenic town of "Rovinj" in the Istrian Peninsula.

Croatia is extremely scenic. If you like photography you will have a lot of fun and take a lot of great pictures.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

51 posts, read 21,212 times
I would avoid August, to crowded, especially Split and Dubrovnik. September much better than May. Better weather, longer days. In May you can still find a lot places dead, out of season.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
We were just in Croatia in April. It is amazing place. You will have an amazing time. If you do a search you should find our thread on the trip. It has some pictures and I have others posted in my profile.

The weather in April was fine, if a bit rainy one day. I would imagine temperatures in May would be even better.

I can highly recommend spending time around the Istrian Peninsula. Rovinj is amazingly scenic and the Roman arena **** (sorry I forgot the name of the town triggers the anti profanity filters City-Data uses) was great. We were only there a day and it was too short a time. We stayed in Opatia, which was a nice place with a nice beach, plenty of hotels and places to eat. I can recommend both the service and the food at the restaurant Lungomare.

Split and Dubrovnik are the most known "tourist" areas of Croatia for good reason. Definitely book a tour with a local guide in Split. It is one place where having a local to show you around is completely worth it. Our hotel in Split was the Le Meridian was outstanding (the best we had during our trip). In Split we like a little out of the way place called Konoba Korta. The seafood is amazing and the ambiance sitting in the courtyard on a warm day is fantastic.

Dubrovnik was the highlight of the trip in terms of scenery. I can recommend the Restaurant Azure which is just around the corner from the Buza Bar which is a little cafe right on the rocks outside the city wall.

If you get a chance order the Peka, which is meat and vegetables slow cooked in a clay pot under hot coals. In some places you have to order ahead several hours, but we found a place in Zagreb that had it.

I can recommend the local wines. We typically just ordered the local table wine and were always happy. There are also some local spirits that are worth trying. My favorite was Pelinkovac.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Here is the link to the thread we started about our trip to Croatia in April.
Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or