U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM

2,901 posts, read 4,626,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Because he believes all the hype hears from the media. Because he's never been to Mexico (and no, the all inclusive in Mexico really don't count - but they can be fun.)

Because anybody who likes Vegas and says "It's Vegas, Baby" could never understand or appreciate the culture, beauty and fun that the REAL Mexico offers.

How do I know? I lived there. I've visited there many times and no, I don't speak Spanish nor am I Hispanic.

I admit that there are several cities in Mexico where I wouldn't go. None of them would be of interest to a tourist anyway (including Acapulco). That said, St. Louis and Detroit are pretty high on the murder hit parade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_murder_rate
Lol! My whole extended family is Mexican. From Chihuahua and Tamaulipas. Iím not Hispanic, but my children and grandchildren are . They donít go to Mexico anymore either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 PM

9,890 posts, read 5,069,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Because anybody who likes Vegas and says "It's Vegas, Baby" could never understand or appreciate the culture, beauty and fun that the REAL Mexico offers.
I know you're just trying to make a snarky point, but we all know that's not necessarily true. Plenty of people who like Vegas ALSO appreciate everything Mexico has to offer.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 AM

15,119 posts, read 19,096,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I know you're just trying to make a snarky point, but we all know that's not necessarily true. Plenty of people who like Vegas ALSO appreciate everything Mexico has to offer.
On that we can agree! My husband is one of them.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:35 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,933,172 times
Well I doubt this time of year your one friend can get passport in time unless she pays the expedited fees, so I would nix Mexico or the Caribbean. Not sure if you can still cruise to Caribbean without a passport, maybe some one else can enlighten.

So for a girls get away in January my choices would be, San Diego, San Antonio, all though the two from Texas may have already seen San Antonio, Las Vegas but check the dates as someone has already mentioned it's a big convention month, Charleston/Savannah, if you rent a car you can do both cities and fly into either one, pick the one with the better air fare.

SWFL is teeming with snowbirds that time of year, traffic traffic and sometimes long waits at restaurants.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,020,226 times
I also like Vegas and Mexico too! I don’t care for Cancun, but Cozumel & Cabo are nice! I also second Vegas. Other suggestions would be a cruise, Nashville, Gaitlinburg or Myrtle Beach.

FYI....you don’t need a passport for a cruise if you are sailing out and back in to a U.S. port.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:09 AM

9,278 posts, read 8,356,216 times
South Beach! Great shopping, dining, resorts, and beaches!

No passport needed.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,504,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I live slightly north of Destin. Late January is very hit or miss in terms of weather- it may be 65F and sunny; there can also be 4-5 days in a row where daytime highs struggle to break 45F and we're worrying about tender plants freezing overnight.

Hi Beachmouse,

Well we decided not to be scared by the temps and we are renting a house in the Grayton Beach area east of Destin! I don't care if I need a jacket and can't go swimming...I just want to sit on that white sand for awhile and just stare at the ocean!

But when we're done doing that ...I'd love some suggestions for restaurants.... doesn't have to be
white-tablecloth type ... the little places the locals keep to themselves are most welcome too! I will
visit Tripadvisor too but happy to hear your suggestions. We may rent bikes one day, hit the outlets and local shops and galleries,
drive around Seaside etc. but we don't have to be out and about each day... basically Thursday and Monday will be travel days, so we really only have three full days to do stuff.

I am SO excited!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 PM

7,696 posts, read 16,145,172 times
We don't get out that way as much as we used to, but I'm still fond of The Red Bar for lunch. Alas, too many of my other former favorites near Grayton got gentrified out of existence in recent years. If you're over by the outlet mall, Vintij and Sushimoto are also quite good. (Don't be scared off by the signs on the door at Sushimoto; they're actually really nice people there. They just have a small space and a sometimes overly entitled customer base.)

If you like spicy food, you also start to pick up the Thai restaurants as you get closer to Destin. Every local has their favorite strip mall Thai place. Mine is Jasmine Thai over by The Fresh Market.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 AM

38,398 posts, read 15,030,549 times
So how did the trip turn out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or