U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:00 PM

606 posts, read 524,941 times

Advertisements

Everybody who likes to travel must have thought something like this at least once: "I wanna travel to Japan/Russia/France/Brazil but i don't know how to speak japanese/russian/french/portuguese. Could i go there only speaking english? Could i go there only speaking spanish?"

I created this thread so we can have more informations about it.

Here in Brazil most people only speak portuguese but i'm sure there will be always some people around capable to understand english and spanish. In some regions, italian and german can be understood by a good number of locals too. In the tourists areas the communication is easier, for example in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo or Florianopolis, where there are a lot of billingual workers in the hotels, stores, etc.

So, basically, i strongly recommend that tourists in Brazil should know at least some common words and phrases in portuguese. But anyway, spanish and english can be used too and we will be happy to help! With other languages the tourists will possibly have a lot of difficulties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 02:10 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
I feel that being able to communicate in the local language makes a huge difference in terms of improving the whole traveling experience. You feel a lot less of a tourist.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:44 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Yep. When I went to Vietnam I spent hours in the mirror learning how to say "me love you long time" exactly like the woman in the movie Full Metal Jacket. It made me feel a lot more like a local.

I recall many a fine morning walking down the street a symphony of tan in my convertible travel pants, travel vest with 7 pockets (including secret inner velcro one), wide brimmed hat with mesh drop visor, and quick dry travel shirt with venting and moisture wicking with my giant bazooka lens camera slung over my shoulder, happy in the knowledge that my almost accent-free Vietnamese phrase would allow me access to an undiscovered world that those who seemed like tourists unable to speak the language like I could would never appreciate.

I even picked out a local name for myself "DŨNG" which would serve two purposes: to endear me to the locals with a common local name, while paying homage to my grandfather's manure sales business back in Ohio. I remember fondly how their faces would light up when they heard my name, and when I'd lay down a perfectly accented utterance of how I'd love them long time, it was almost like I became a dear uncle.

During my vacation in Vietnam I fortunate enough to have lots of time to truly integrate with the hill tribes, this is because I had chosen a tour that included the 2 night stop in Sapa instead of just one. That second day I went ahead and splurged on one of the conical hats that they had for sale at the gift shop of our hotel, as if my linguistic skills hadn't already made me a local but I wanted to go ahead and hit it out of the ball park. I briefly considered using scotch tape to alter my eyelids but decided the heat would render them ineffective, and it would have been horrifying if the tape failed on only one side giving me a lack of congruency in eyelid format. I also gave up trying to squat on the toilet after the cleaning women at my hotel admonished me for the shoe prints on the seat, that might have been a good thing since it hurt my knees a lot.

Overall I don't regret taking the extra effort to master some parts of the local language like I did. It's the only way to travel.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 PM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
The fact that you spent the time and energy typing up that dreck, and you're undoubtedly proud of yourself ...

... very sad.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,312,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep. When I went to Vietnam I spent hours in the mirror learning how to say "me love you long time" exactly like the woman in the movie Full Metal Jacket. It made me feel a lot more like a local.

I recall many a fine morning walking down the street a symphony of tan in my convertible travel pants, travel vest with 7 pockets (including secret inner velcro one), wide brimmed hat with mesh drop visor, and quick dry travel shirt with venting and moisture wicking with my giant bazooka lens camera slung over my shoulder, happy in the knowledge that my almost accent-free Vietnamese phrase would allow me access to an undiscovered world that those who seemed like tourists unable to speak the language like I could would never appreciate.

I even picked out a local name for myself "DŨNG" which would serve two purposes: to endear me to the locals with a common local name, while paying homage to my grandfather's manure sales business back in Ohio. I remember fondly how their faces would light up when they heard my name, and when I'd lay down a perfectly accented utterance of how I'd love them long time, it was almost like I became a dear uncle.

During my vacation in Vietnam I fortunate enough to have lots of time to truly integrate with the hill tribes, this is because I had chosen a tour that included the 2 night stop in Sapa instead of just one. That second day I went ahead and splurged on one of the conical hats that they had for sale at the gift shop of our hotel, as if my linguistic skills hadn't already made me a local but I wanted to go ahead and hit it out of the ball park. I briefly considered using scotch tape to alter my eyelids but decided the heat would render them ineffective, and it would have been horrifying if the tape failed on only one side giving me a lack of congruency in eyelid format. I also gave up trying to squat on the toilet after the cleaning women at my hotel admonished me for the shoe prints on the seat, that might have been a good thing since it hurt my knees a lot.

Overall I don't regret taking the extra effort to master some parts of the local language like I did. It's the only way to travel.
I have to say it: This is really good dark writing. Tell us more.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The fact that you spent the time and energy typing up that dreck, and you're undoubtedly proud of yourself ...

... very sad.
I'm even prouder than someone who has found the time and energy to type in over 4,500 posts since joining in 2016 is commenting on my time and energy!

I'd love you long time, brother.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
And yours are more enjoyable to boot.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Love the satire.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:35 AM

1,800 posts, read 803,616 times
It's not worth learning Spanish for a two-week trip to Mexico.

I spent more than two months learning Spanish and my proficiency is next to nothing. You have to invest a lot of time and efforts to learn a foreign language just to hold a very simple conversation.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:12 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It's not worth learning Spanish for a two-week trip to Mexico.

I spent more than two months learning Spanish and my proficiency is next to nothing. You have to invest a lot of time and efforts to learn a foreign language just to hold a very simple conversation.
True, it is not worth it to invest a lot of time to learn a language just for a short trip. Learning languages requires considerable effort and commitment, usually years to be able to converse effectively.

However if you are able to speak the local language, for example for a Spaniard to travel in South America, it is a lot more enjoyable than someone who has to speak English all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or