U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:04 AM

510 posts, read 304,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
By the same metrics, NYC isn't a big city in the same sense that Shanghai is. Shanghai has almost 3x the population of NYC. NYC is not in the top 20 of most populous cities in the world.
This is a bit off the original topic, but NYC and Shanghai are about the same size population wise. 20 vs 23 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 AM

377 posts, read 202,011 times
Quote:
By the same metrics, NYC isn't a big city in the same sense that Shanghai is. Shanghai has almost 3x the population of NYC. NYC is not in the top 20 of most populous cities in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities

If we go by Urban Area (my favorite), NYC has 24 million and Shanghai has 23 million. If you go by metropolitan area, NYC has 20 million and Shanghai has 35 million people. In neither ranking is Shanghai 3x the size of NYC. Municipal borders are worthless for comparing cities in foreign countries.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 AM

22,127 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Quote:
Right, Shanghai is more populous in any given area or metric one can draw as you try to adjust for different kinds of legal and commuter boundaries. However, itís not really 3x as large as Shanghaiís boundaries are much larger than NYCís. Itís a bit more like 1.5-2x more populous when you start trying to add analogous communities surrounding the city proper.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:21 AM

7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities

If we go by Urban Area (my favorite), NYC has 24 million and Shanghai has 23 million. If you go by metropolitan area, NYC has 20 million and Shanghai has 35 million people. In neither ranking is Shanghai 3x the size of NYC. Municipal borders are worthless for comparing cities in foreign countries.
To be honest, urban area and metro are kind of pointless when comparing NYC to anything else. New York is the most-self contained city in this country, and maybe the world. Itís the one US city where city proper is the most appropriate metric.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 AM

377 posts, read 202,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
To be honest, urban area and metro are kind of pointless when comparing NYC to anything else. New York is the most-self contained city in this country, and maybe the world. It’s the one US city where city proper is the most appropriate metric.
Why do you say that? Personally, as someone who frequently does business in Shanghai and has a residence in NYC (Brooklyn) I think that Shanghai's numbers are overflated (as are most Chinese cities). Shanghai should be capped at 15 million.

But as to your NYC "self contained" comment, I want to hear more on this. Why do you think so? Is it the geography? Keep in mind that a lot of communities bordering Queens and the Bronx can be easily added. Not to mention everything from Newark to Jersey City. In fact, there was a many time I had to use the airport in Newark. It's nicer than LGA too.

Last edited by SpringSnow; 11-19-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,299,023 times
Quote:
Chicago is not a "big" city in the same sense NYC is. NYC is 3x the population size of Chicago. So in the context of NYC, Chicago is not a big city.
Thats a silly argument though, you can't just pick the largest thing and say "compared to this thing nothing else is big"

"Compared to Jupiter all the planets are small" yeah ok so?

There aren't a lot of things you in NYC that you can't do in Chicago besides being in NYC.

To me the question is alot like "So if I have skied in Utah, is it worth Skiing in Colorado, Wyoming, or Idaho?

The answer would be "Well, did you enjoy skiing? if yes, than yeah, it's prob worth it if you have the budget for it, if not, prob not."

Old 11-19-2017, 03:03 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
To be honest, urban area and metro are kind of pointless when comparing NYC to anything else. New York is the most-self contained city in this country, and maybe the world. Itís the one US city where city proper is the most appropriate metric.
As someone who lives in the suburbs of NYC, I totally agree. Once you go deep enough into Long Island, it is NOTHING like NYC, not even the fringe areas. '

Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,415,587 times
Quote:
Chicago is not a "big" city in the same sense NYC is. NYC is 3x the population size of Chicago. So in the context of NYC, Chicago is not a big city.
This is silly NY is not 3x Chicago size and Chicago is nearly a mega city. By your logic London and Paris aren't big cities either cause they are closer to Chicago, than New York size.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 PM

22,127 posts, read 23,642,005 times
I think Chicago is worth visiting for many reasons irrespective of whether one has been to or intends to go to NYC. NYC being much larger isnít a reason to skip Chicago, rather, itís actually interesting to see a prominent US city that is large and bustling but on a different scale and in a different part of this vast country with its own unique character.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,006,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Of course it's a big city. Please.
It is definitely a big city by both American and European standards. By some Asian standards, especially Chinese standards, it's a mid sized city (some people from the larger cities would even say smaller city - but then again they would also say that LA is the same thing), but that's doesn't matter. My girlfriend's parents shared a Chinese article with me when they visited Chicago a little over a year ago that said in Chinese that Chicago has a "perfect balance of urbanism." My girlfriend has told me numerous times that "Chinese love Chicago" sometimes more than NYC even because of the better balance, at least downtown, or greenery to urbanism. A place which is bigger doesn't mean it's automatically better (not starting NYC vs. Chicago thing - just stating my own opinion on size). I happen to like Chengdu, China more than Beijing - both are big cities, but Chengdu is smaller. I also like Hangzhou, China more than Beijing - even smaller than Chengdu. It means nothing especially when you're dealing with cities with enough things to do, eat, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel