Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:31 AM

376 posts, read 329,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I haven’t been to Hong Kong, but neither in London nor Paris reminded me of New York. Truthfully, Seoul feels more like NYC than any European city I’ve visited.
I can see Seoul (Myeongdong) if your only basis for NYC is Times Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM

9,117 posts, read 13,138,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Both cities have a waterfront, but you know what Chicago doesn't have? The Palisades. That was one of the most surprising and outstanding features during my first visit to NYC. I had no idea that even parts of Manhattan were rugged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
New England is very rugged (coastline). NYC an extension of that
I am wondering if you had taken one of the sightseeing cruises out of Manhattan? It is really something to see the 100-200 foot wooded hills coming down to the water in northern Manhattan and then across the river, you have the cliffs of the Palisades. After being in Midtown, its kind of surprising to see undeveloped raw nature like that.

The rocky coastline begins around New York City and continues to at least Nova Scotia. This is probably because the Appalachians begin to come closer to the ocean in the NYC area. The Appalachian Trail is within the western and northern suburbs of NYC and the trail comes within 25 miles or so of the city at Bear Mountain Bridge if I remember right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Mountain_Bridge

Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,279,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am wondering if you had taken one of the sightseeing cruises out of Manhattan? It is really something to see the 100-200 foot wooded hills coming down to the water in northern Manhattan and then across the river, you have the cliffs of the Palisades. After being in Midtown, its kind of surprising to see undeveloped raw nature like that.

The rocky coastline begins around New York City and continues to at least Nova Scotia. This is probably because the Appalachians begin to come closer to the ocean in the NYC area. The Appalachian Trail is within the western and northern suburbs of NYC and the trail comes within 25 miles or so of the city at Bear Mountain Bridge if I remember right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Mountain_Bridge
That, and the area where NYC is also was covered by glaciers during the ice ages, increasing the amount of topography that is carved out.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Simply, based only on museums, NYC visit is a gem that is wholly different. If you're a fan, just seeing the one-of-a-kind paintings at the Met is worth a trip...or MoMA, or the Frick Gallery etc.
Actually, that is what I was thinking, especially the art and historical museums in NYC.

I have never seen them but two museums in Chicago really interest me. The Chicago Field Museum looks like it could give the American Museum of Natural History a run for the money. I am not sure. And the other museum is the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
That, and the area where NYC is also was covered by glaciers during the ice ages, increasing the amount of topography that is carved out.
Never heard of that before but that is a pretty good theory!

Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,339,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually, that is what I was thinking, especially the art and historical museums in NYC.

I have never seen them but two museums in Chicago really interest me. The Chicago Field Museum looks like it could give the American Museum of Natural History a run for the money. I am not sure. And the other museum is the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
You have never heard of the Art Institute? That alone, if you love impressionism, is worth the trip. Yes, both the Field Museum as well as the Museum of Science and Industry are fantastic. I would throw in the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium, all within walking distance to each other except for the Museum of S and I.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,908,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I can see Seoul (Myeongdong) if your only basis for NYC is Times Square.
I was thinking more along the lines of Seongsu-dong, and real residential NYC.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:13 PM

36,936 posts, read 38,920,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Great post. As for deep dish pizza, you were spot on for Giordans (don't) and Lou's (do). My suggstion: either Had no's or Due's downtown or any Lou's location.

From a Chicago perspective, I'd say we see our city as unique. We don't any need to compare to other cities for our greatness speaks for itself. Chicago sees itself like its fellow great cities, like Bostn, New York, Washington, Los Angeles and San francisco. We respect them, enjoy them, but feel nO need to cmpare ourslves to them? I mean: CHICAGO is CHICAGO. Nuff said. What's impressive is not how others see us, but how we see oursselves.
Not particularly keen on deep-dish, good on occasions, but not something I really want often. What I do love is the thin-crust pizza with its crunch. I can run through those pretty quickly.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Simply, based only on museums, NYC visit is a gem that is wholly different. If you're a fan, just seeing the one-of-a-kind paintings at the Met is worth a trip...or MoMA, or the Frick Gallery etc.
Yes, that is great about NYC. The thing is, the one-of-a-kind-ness also expands out to other museums and their collections. There's the sort of thing where you want to go to one place that has the most in quantity and NYC has that. It also has great quality within the collections. However, for people seeking out specific works or exhibits, there's a lot out there in museums elsewhere that are in the permanent collections over there and worth seeking out. Chicago's various museums have many notable works in the various permanent collections and worthwhile even if the volume is different.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You have never heard of the Art Institute? That alone, if you love impressionism, is worth the trip. Yes, both the Field Museum as well as the Museum of Science and Industry are fantastic. I would throw in the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium, all within walking distance to each other except for the Museum of S and I.
I'm a big fan of the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago. A Hyde Park trip away from the Loop to see this museum, the University of Chicago, and the Museum of Science and Industry is well worth it when in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel