U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,565,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
From a downtown urban experience Chicago is much closer to San Fran, Boston, philly, D.C. than it is to NYC although it may be a step up from all those. The gap is much larger from NYC to Chicago than Chicago to those other cities mainly because of density. NYC is closer to Hong Kong in this regard. Hustle, bustle people everywhere for miles is unmatched in the states
Why do NYC posters need to see DENSITY on their level? Is the only one offering Great Vibrancy, walkability, and packin'em'in tenements to other connected housing? Is the only Urbanity there is and LESSEN EVERY CITY YOU LIST?

Actually Philly boast most like NYC and density. Yet overall Chicago averages higher even with its 90% of the city with alleys and standard set-backs of housing, in neighborhoods off the main streets of retail, businesses and apartment buildings and .... overall only a fraction of housing as true row-homes. Part of its added density is it added more apartment buildings and 2-3 flat homes vs solid single row-housing as Philly.

But anyway you lowered Philly to Chicago's level San Francisco high in attached housing too. You lowered to Chicago's level and DC.....

But honestly, no one claims Chicago matches NYC or just Manhattan in overall stats and quantities. But its downtown still packs a punch in a much smaller footprint and a level of skyscrapers and high-rise to skyscraper living highest outside NYC in the US.

*** If Chicagoans are PROUD of their core and Skyline..... it still IS and SHOULD BE RESPECTED as it does make World listings of Top skylines. Even with those Asian cities building a frenzy of their own skyscrapers today. No need to claim CHICAGOANS SHOULD NOT HAVE PRIDE (or just less) IN THEIR CORE - or its VIBRANCY, BEAUTY, SCENERY AND SKYLINE with a backdrop of Lake Michigan.

They deserve the RESPECT that they do rate high in areas of what a VIBRANT CORE SHOULD HAVE. No one claimed it every overtaking NYC in quantity or density. As I said before ..... CHICGO CHOSE ---> NOT TO BE LIKE NYC When tenements were virtually banned. Ordinances passed requiring every apartment complex have a window to the outside. That lead to its creation of the Chicago Court-Yard Apartment building too.

Most of the early (after the Great Fire) row-housing that it did get? Were higher-end gilded-age varieties as it was a EAST-COAST STATUS of prestige and of wealth. But unlike most Eastern big cities.... its blue-collar and rising middle-class folk in Chicago got virtually.... ALL UNATTACHED HOUSING.

So ..... Chicago chose to be different:
- no Tenement-style as NYC housing
- its own street-grid of standard set-backs for green-frontage
- alleyways would be standard and 90% of the city has them including downtown
- chose to run the power-line and Phone lines down the alleys over the fronts of homes
- chose unattached housing for its lower and middle-class and virtually all by the 20th century
- developed a NEW AMERICAN housing for its emerging Middle-Class (along with LA and its versions) of the Craftsman Bungalow home. With Chicago's being brick and its building frenzy through the 1930s of these bungalows.... is 1/3 of the city today.

Again, NOT BEING NYC WAS JUST FINE ALL LONG. But still its Core HITS A LOTTA BASES TO BOAST. New Yorkers ...... many still respect that.

I did not expect this thread to take-off as it did LOL. But in my example? I knew Chicago first. Before a Manhattan visit. But really, Chicago's downtown really gives a big enough punch to have Manhattan skyscrapers impress me less. DON'T GET ME WRONG.... Impressive yes but it did lower that AWE-FACTOR A tiny BIT ....

I hated seeing bags of trash on sidewalks in Midtown and gated-storefronts..... made me feel I couldn't be in Manhattan? That was first impressions.... not to lessen the history, legacy, scope and quantity of everything it has and deserves to ..... have PRIDE IN TOO. Residents and Nation alike ..... for NYC as our largest city and legacy in its history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,168,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am wondering if you had taken one of the sightseeing cruises out of Manhattan? It is really something to see the 100-200 foot wooded hills coming down to the water in northern Manhattan and then across the river, you have the cliffs of the Palisades. After being in Midtown, its kind of surprising to see undeveloped raw nature like that.

The rocky coastline begins around New York City and continues to at least Nova Scotia. This is probably because the Appalachians begin to come closer to the ocean in the NYC area. The Appalachian Trail is within the western and northern suburbs of NYC and the trail comes within 25 miles or so of the city at Bear Mountain Bridge if I remember right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Mountain_Bridge
Nope , I got to NYC on a coach and explored the city on foot. Going past some of those cliffs through New Jersey is what initially caught me by surprise, and I'll never forget my first time seeing the Manhattan skyline in the distance. It was awesome.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM

642 posts, read 264,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why do NYC posters need to see DENSITY on their level? Is the only one offering Great Vibrancy, walkability, and packin'em'in tenements to other connected housing? Is the only Urbanity there is and LESSEN EVERY CITY YOU LIST?

Actually Philly boast most like NYC and density. Yet overall Chicago averages higher even with its 90% of the city with alleys and standard set-backs of housing, in neighborhoods off the main streets of retail, businesses and apartment buildings and .... overall only a fraction of housing as true row-homes. Part of its added density is it added more apartment buildings and 2-3 flat homes vs solid single row-housing as Philly.

But anyway you lowered Philly to Chicago's level San Francisco high in attached housing too. You lowered to Chicago's level and DC.....

But honestly, no one claims Chicago matches NYC or just Manhattan in overall stats and quantities. But its downtown still packs a punch in a much smaller footprint and a level of skyscrapers and high-rise to skyscraper living highest outside NYC in the US.

*** If Chicagoans are PROUD of their core and Skyline..... it still IS and SHOULD BE RESPECTED as it does make World listings of Top skylines. Even with those Asian cities building a frenzy of their own skyscrapers today. No need to claim CHICAGOANS SHOULD NOT HAVE PRIDE (or just less) IN THEIR CORE - or its VIBRANCY, BEAUTY, SCENERY AND SKYLINE with a backdrop of Lake Michigan.

They deserve the RESPECT that they do rate high in areas of what a VIBRANT CORE SHOULD HAVE. No one claimed it every overtaking NYC in quantity or density. As I said before ..... CHICGO CHOSE ---> NOT TO BE LIKE NYC When tenements were virtually banned. Ordinances passed requiring every apartment complex have a window to the outside. That lead to its creation of the Chicago Court-Yard Apartment building too.

Most of the early (after the Great Fire) row-housing that it did get? Were higher-end gilded-age varieties as it was a EAST-COAST STATUS of prestige and of wealth. But unlike most Eastern big cities.... its blue-collar and rising middle-class folk in Chicago got virtually.... ALL UNATTACHED HOUSING.

So ..... Chicago chose to be different:
- no Tenement-style as NYC housing
- its own street-grid of standard set-backs for green-frontage
- alleyways would be standard and 90% of the city has them including downtown
- chose to run the power-line and Phone lines down the alleys over the fronts of homes
- chose unattached housing for its lower and middle-class and virtually all by the 20th century
- developed a NEW AMERICAN housing for its emerging Middle-Class (along with LA and its versions) of the Craftsman Bungalow home. With Chicago's being brick and its building frenzy through the 1930s of these bungalows.... is 1/3 of the city today.

Again, NOT BEING NYC WAS JUST FINE ALL LONG. But still its Core HITS A LOTTA BASES TO BOAST. New Yorkers ...... many still respect that.

I did not expect this thread to take-off as it did LOL. But in my example? I knew Chicago first. Before a Manhattan visit. But really, Chicago's downtown really gives a big enough punch to have Manhattan skyscrapers impress me less. DON'T GET ME WRONG.... Impressive yes but it did lower that AWE-FACTOR A tiny BIT ....

I hated seeing bags of trash on sidewalks in Midtown and gated-storefronts..... made me feel I couldn't be in Manhattan? That was first impressions.... not to lessen the history, legacy, scope and quantity of everything it has and deserves to ..... have PRIDE IN TOO. Residents and Nation alike ..... for NYC as our largest city and legacy in its history.
Who said chicago shouldn't be respected? Who said I don't like Chicago? It's not as vibrant as New York. That's not debatable. I live in Boston. Boston's not as vibrant either. It's ok. Life goes on

Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,239,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Chicago is not a "big" city in the same sense NYC is. NYC is 3x the population size of Chicago. So in the context of NYC, Chicago is not a big city.
What is your problem with Chicago?? In the context of NYC Chicago is not a big city? Any city with 2.7 million people in a metro area of 10 million is a big city in the United States. I guess if you are from Asia then 10 milion is a drop in the bucket. First its the architecture, then the size, what next?

Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What is your problem with Chicago?? In the context of NYC Chicago is not a big city? Any city with 2.7 million people in a metro area of 10 million is a big city in the United States. I guess if you are from Asia then 10 milion is a drop in the bucket. First its the architecture, then the size, what next?
It's not as big a city as NYC. It's not. Why is that offensive

Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
It's not as big a city as NYC. It's not. Why is that offensive
Sorry, but as Mike Royko, a famous columnist for the Chicago Tribune once said, I would rather hold a small diamond than a big cow patty. Size is relative, and quality is absolute. Never judge anything on size alone, or you will be shopping at Walmart and Costco for the rest of your life.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but as Mike Royko, a famous columnist for the Chicago Tribune once said, I would rather hold a small diamond than a big cow patty. Size is relative, and quality is absolute. Never judge anything on size alone, or you will be shopping at Walmart and Costco for the rest of your life.
I'm confused which ones the diamond?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I'm confused which ones the diamond?
The smaller one of course, the one that doesn't have garbage piled on the streets instead of hidden in the alleys.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The smaller one of course, the one that doesn't have garbage piled on the streets instead of hidden in the alleys.
I'm actually surprised NYC is as clean as it is. Think about it Manhattan is 23 square miles and has a population of the entire city of Chicago

Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,565,563 times
Quote:
I'm actually surprised NYC is as clean as it is. Think about it Manhattan is 23 square miles and has a population of the entire city of Chicago
Yes, on C-D NYC certainly is cleaner. Gritty-clean too.

Quote:
Who said chicago shouldn't be respected? Who said I don't like Chicago? It's not as vibrant as New York. That's not debatable. I live in Boston. Boston's not as vibrant either. It's ok. Life goes on
OK .... we get it. SIZE is what matters. I truly do. Chicago needs to be knocked down continuously. Its motion on Lake Michigan is less too. Vibrancy cannot be without the top densities continuously.

Wow another who Luvs Chicago and Boston too. Now I get it. I'm convinced ... really I am. Boston is just lacking too. Size again girth maybe? Yes those great Bostonian Terrace Row-homes..... just still lack vibrancy. Just can't compare to NYC. Gotta just not enough to have Pride for. Life goes on.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-20-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel